Budget101 Discussion List Archives Health & Home Remedies Don’t Put That in Your Mouth!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

You already know about the dangers of putting undercooked meat, raw seafood, unwashed produce, and, perhaps most stomach-churning of all, your foot in your mouth. But you should be wary of these things as well:

That first cookie…. or M&M, or potato chip, or spoonful of ice cream. These are “trigger” foods, meaning that if you eat one, you’ll probably have trouble stopping and shoot a hole in your diet.

Ice: It’s a crystal and so is tooth enamel. So when you bite down on a cube or chip, something has to crack.

A contact lens: Your saliva is swimming with bacteria, so if you clean or moisten contacts with it, you’re risking conjunctivitis.

A Red Savina habanero chile pepper: It’s the hottest pepper in the world, according to Guinness World Records—about 100 times hotter than a jalapeño.

Dried apricots: If you don’t chew these thoroughly, they can actually reconstitute in your stomach and block an intestine.

Prime rib: Despite its lean appearance, it’s the fattiest type of steak, typically 982 calories and 78 grams of fat per pound. That’s equivalent to almost two Big Macs.

A toothbrush with lots of paste: Some toothpaste flavors can be so overwhelming that they reduce brush time. Brushing with only a dab promotes better tartar control and gum health.

Aspirin: There’s an old home remedy that recommends letting an aspirin dissolve next to an aching tooth. Aspirin is an acid, though, so it can eat away at gum tissue, leaving what looks like a cigarette burn.

Liver: This used to be regarded as a nutritious food for women because of its high iron content, but not anymore. Because the liver is an organ that filters blood, all those chemicals and hormones fed to livestock nowadays collect there.

Margarita: Oh, no, say it ain’t so! Freeze two kinds of alcohol with lots of sugar and salt, and you have a concoction that’s bad for your heart, arteries, liver, blood sugar, energy level, and digestion. Plus, it promotes overeating (see next item).

Basket of tortilla chips: They may look innocuous (and they’re free!), but the typical fried serving has about 1,000 calories, of which nearly half are from fat. Order steamed tortillas and dip them instead.

Muffin: Don’t let the words “bran” or “whole-grain” fool you, muffin is just another word for cake.

Hair: If you twirl and bite yours, you could be at risk for developing a bezoar, or intestinal hair ball. Fibrous veggies and fruits, such as celery, potato skins, and pulpy oranges, can add to the problem.

Stuffed-crust pizza: If you eat enough of this, the inside of your arteries will start looking the same way.

Nothing at all: Women who skip meals have more of a tendency to gain weight than those who eat regularly. That’s because starving makes you more prone to impulse eating. Plus, it gives you bad breath.

© Can Stock Photo Inc. / dolgachov
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Participant

Basket of tortilla chips: They may look innocuous (and they’re free!), but the typical fried serving has about 1,000 calories, of which nearly half are from fat. Order steamed tortillas and dip them instead.

i never knew that.. i went out to lunch with a girlfriend of mine, and she was talking about her diet, and how she can “eat all the tortilla chips because salsa and chips have like no calories”.. man.. i would love to show this to her and tease her now. tee hee

I had no idea about the apricots! Wow, thanks for the info. As for some of the others, they made me chuckle a bit. Very much common sense but I just love how you put it!

This is great! I love it!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Health & Home Remedies Don’t Put That in Your Mouth!