Budget101 Discussion List Archives Health & Home Remedies does any one have a cure for psoriasis?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

i have a 6 year old boy that has had trouble since he was 6 months old. i have had him on every steroid cream available and i noticed his skin was never any better and it was looking like an old man’s skin. i stopped all drug and went to gold bond healing lotion.

this helps and he doesnt have the horrible itching but he is still red and rough.

does any body have any other ideas? TIA

I feel for you and understand some of what you are going through. I have a 13 year old with eczema since he was 2 months old. I know they are some related but yet different.

We tried the steriods to when he was around 6. Nothing seemed to work well. He is starting to get better but his hands still get bad cracks during the winter.

I hope someone has some idea of something that will work for you.

Boy oh boy, I wish I had an answer for you… Myself and my hubby both have eczema, and psoriasis. Hubby’s Dr. prescribed a very stout cream, and it only made it worse.

His poor hand ( its only one.. strange), breaks out in small to medium sized water blisters, then peels, and leaves his hand sore and cracked. I was born with eczema, and it gets so bad in the winter.

The joint areas on my right hand split open and bleed. It doesn’t make it any better that I am diabetic. If you find a cure, or even some way to calm it down, I would love to know.

Thanks. I wish you luck. Poor little guy.

My dh has been battling psoriasis for approx 20 years now. When we first met…it was really really awful…his legs were both covered, elbows, stomach, and behind his ears. I started making my own soaps (I have soap allergies to a lot of store purchased soaps) ~~ and I can honestly say that his psoriasis has cleared up by 60-70%.

My theory is the fact that my homemade soaps have natural glycerine…whereas your store purchased soaps have a lot of added extra ingredients (and yes…I do use fragrance in my soaps).

My ds has a dry patch on his back….I use a little olive oil after his bath…while he is still wet…then dry off.
      I’m not telling you to make your own soaps….but perhaps purchasing homemade soaps or natural soaps ‘may’ help.
      A $$ saving tip when using homemade soaps…take a bar of soap and cut it in half or thirds…..make sure that it is allowed to totally dry between uses….and it will last (what seems like) forever!
      I sure hope this helps.

Denise
      Upstate NY

I have psoriasis on my hands and feet that started last June. After several Dr. visits, I am currently on psoriatane, and 2 different gels. They have lessened the problem, but it is still pretty bad and doesn’t ever completely go a way.

I wish I had a solution for you as it is driving me crazy as well.

My mother has psoriasis on her head. She has been batteling this for years. She went to doctors, but nothing they gave her helped.

She started going to a all natural store, she uses a shampoo that they carry. Don’t know the name of it, but they recommended it to her, and it does help with the itching. But never completely gets rid of it.

I don’t know that there is a cure for this. But might find something at an all natural store to help. Plus the idea of homemade soaps would help.

Just diagnosed with psoriasis on my scalp. Doc gave me a steriod cream that seems to be working.

I’m assuming allergies have been ruled out with the child? Hubby had severe eczema as a baby. Had to have soy milk.

He later developed asthma-all connected.

my bf got this for a long time on his face. Huge red patches and he was very uncomfortable. we did alot of research online for at-home remedies, and one that alot of people seemed to recommend was dandruff shampoo.

i dont know how long it took but his went completely away. it says online that it can come back at any time but for now that is what worked. i know we also found some recipes for making pastes but i am not sure what the ingredients are for those.

@starsinnight 107159 wrote:

my bf got this for a long time on his face. Huge red patches and he was very uncomfortable. we did alot of research online for at-home remedies, and one that alot of people seemed to recommend was dandruff shampoo.

i dont know how long it took but his went completely away. it says online that it can come back at any time but for now that is what worked. i know we also found some recipes for making pastes but i am not sure what the ingredients are for those.

my dh really likes using head & shoulders brand shampoo…he likes it the best of all the different brands. he gets patches behind his ears…but if he keeps his hair short…and the sun can get to the area…it goes away.
      he swears that the sun does a lot to help his patches….and though we do not own one….the times that he has been in a hot tub, he says it has helped too.

My mom has this and she swears that swimming in the ocean helps clear hers up.

I aquired psorasis from my Rheumatoid Arthritis. It’s rare, I seem to get the “rare” side effects that can go with RA. I have it bad and have been prescribed a number of things which I get mixed results with.

I did find one thing, it’s over the counter, and based on the “coal tar” that is often prescribed. It’s called Psorent. I found it through this site as a freebie believe it or not.

And, it really has helped. I have on several different spots on both hands, one wrist, both elbows and knees, and a couple other spots. This I find while it has an “odd” smell, isn’t as bad as the greasy coal tar, or the heavy duty steroid cream that seems to wear off too quickly.
      Now, I’m 54, so I’m willing to try anything once when it gets bad.

But, for a child, you should be far more cautious, and I have to order it on line, though I have found recently a local doctor who does carry it.

You might want to discuss this with his doctor first. But, it seems far less nasty than the coal tar products, even the over the counter variety.
      I’ve also switched to a goat milk soap, and use a very heavy duty over the counter, recomended by my dermatologist, hand/body lotion, Eurecin, Curel, and a few other brands I can’t recall just now.
      Let me just say, this is one “H**L” of a horrible thing to endure.

When mine gets bad, the skin just seems to scale and break open in a matter of hours. And the itching is intense at times.
      Good luck,
      Gloria

My late husband had something similar. We tried everything anyone even suggested. This went on for years.

Finally, we had to let some bills slide so he could go to a dermatologist. The diagnosis was – fungus. She gave him some samples that cleared it completely in about three days. The script was $127.00 for a tiny tube and he would have to use it forever.

This was about 13 years ago. The only thing I can remember about the name was “Spor…..”. I really feel for anyone who suffers with stuff like this.

i want to thank everyone for all your ideas, i actually stopped all creams on my son his skin was really looking old(he is 5) i boght some gold bond healing lotion with aloe and he is all but cleared up. i took him off of johnson and johnson baby soap and started using suave liguid soap(by a fluke) and i use watkins salve in the red can. becuase of home remedies from me being a kid.

i notived the spot i used the salve on cleared up in a matter of days.(skin was cracked bad). since i stopped using the steroid creams he stopped the really bad break outs and the itching is a min.

i hope this helps everyone who is suffering too.

Psoriasis Effect on the Quality of Life:

Psoriasis is a disease whose main symptom is gray or silvery flaky patches on the skin which are red and inflamed underneath. In the United States, it affects 2 to 2.6 percent of the population, or between 5.8 and 7.5 million people. Commonly affected areas include the scalp, elbows, knees, arms, stomach and back.

Psoriasis is autoimmune in origin, and is not contagious. Around a quarter of people with psoriasis also suffer from psoriatic arthritis, which is similar to rheumatoid arthritis in its effects. Psoriasis was first given that name in complete differentiation from other skin conditions by the Austrian dermatologist Ferdinand von Hebra in 1841, although there are what are believed to be descriptions of the disease in sources going back to ancient Roman and possibly even biblical times.

[note] advertising link removed [/note]

My 6 year old daughter katy, was just diagnoised with psoriasis. The creams the dr. Gave me work but, gets everything all greasy. It clears up and then comes right back.

I have managed to use trial and error to find helpful solutions.
      We use a body wash for deep moisture, and a lotion with no dyes or fragrance (like eucrin) as soon as she gets out of the bath. Also i don’t give her nsaids anymore, they cause flear ups. Bath oils also help keep her skin moisturized.

The sun also helps alot.
      She has four seperate creams to use. Vectical goes on as a base for everything but her hair, then desonide on top for her groin, underarms, and face. Fluocinonide goes over the vectical for the rest of her body.

Taclonex is used on her head. I also found that the drug companies give you discount cards. It took us a year to find out what she had and to find the right treatment.

Tashdan
      Participant

For those suffering with Psoriasis I would try switching to a whole30 diet for 45 days to see if your skin clears up on its own. Psoriasis occurs when there is an overload of toxins in the body. For example, babies who have been recently vaccinated can have metal build up in their tiny systems, and create issues.

Those with Amalgam fillings in their teeth, etc. Think back to when the Psoriasis erupted, what was going on in your life, what were you consuming. There are a number of people who have cured their own skin conditions and thyroid issues by eating clean and flushing out the excess hormones that we consume daily (without knowing it!)

You can try anti-inflammatory and anti-burn remedies. These are various ointments and lotions on the basis of birch tar, grease, copper sulfate, warm baths with herbs (celandine, string) or salts. Ingredients can be purchased separately and mixed according to the selected prescription, or you can buy ready-made ointment, herbal tea or bath product at the pharmacy. Side effects are usually minimal, but the therapeutic effect is mild. These methods can be applied as additional.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Health & Home Remedies does any one have a cure for psoriasis?