Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar for BiggerPiggyBankBiggerPiggyBank
      Participant

I have two children, 8 and 10. My husband and I decided after much discussion not to give allowances.

Reason 1: There will be no allowances to earn when they move out on their own, for chores done. We feel they need to learn to do chores without money as a motivator.

Reason 2: We give them opportunities to do extra work to earn money. For example they work in my husband?s business for pay. This year they also helped my husband?s uncle strip tobacco and that earned them some extra money around Christmas.

Of course, they also get money as gifts from other family members. We encourage them to give at church. We also, encourage them to give to needy causes like the local food bank, and the Salvation Army at Christmas.

We also encourage them to save for things they would like to buy. For example: my son wanted a game boy advance (when he was 5) I felt that he was too young. So we struck a deal.

If he could save ? of the money I would pay for the other half. But he also had to save enough for a game to go with it.

It worked. He worked hard, saved his money, and within 6 months he had enough to buy a game boy and a game. I was so proud of him.

He still has his game boy and he takes care of it because he had to work for it. My husband and

I have two children, 8 and 10. My husband and I decided after much discussion not to give allowances.

Reason 1: There will be no allowances to earn when they move out on their own, for chores done. We feel they need to learn to do chores without money as a motivator.

Reason 2: We give them opportunities to do extra work to earn money. For example they work in my husband?s business for pay. This year they also helped my husband?s uncle strip tobacco and that earned them some extra money around Christmas.

Of course, they also get money as gifts from other family members. We encourage them to give at church. We also, encourage them to give to needy causes like the local food bank, and the Salvation Army at Christmas.

We also encourage them to save for things they would like to buy. For example: my son wanted a game boy advance (when he was 5) I felt that he was too young. So we struck a deal.

If he could save ? of the money I would pay for the other half. But he also had to save enough for a game to go with it.

It worked. He worked hard, saved his money, and within 6 months he had enough to buy a game boy and a game. I was so proud of him.

He still has his game boy and he takes care of it because he had to work for it. My husband and I still won?t buy games for the game boy unless it is Christmas or his birthday. Since he is spending his own money he has learned to shop around and wait for a good deal.

Jennifer, ky

i still won?t buy games for the game boy unless it is christmas or his birthday. since he is spending his own money he has learned to shop around and wait for a good deal.

jennifer, ky

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.