DIY Fabreze Alternative that is totally green, does NOT use fabric softener!

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Household Recipes DIY Fabreze Alternative that is totally green, does NOT use fabric softener!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      angelwhispers4

This is a diy fabreze alternative that is totally green, does not use fabric softener!

i have been working on eliminating chemicals as much as possible from my home now knowing how many of them probably added to my health issues that are severe. This is one recipe I found to replace Fabreze, it works as long as you choose an essential oil with a scent that works well to eliminate odors and is very cheap to make! I found cheap Vodka for $9 which will last me for probably a year making this stuff and the distilled water is less than $1 here and a bottle makes several spray bottles of this.

The essential oils I get online for anywhere from $5 to $9 but you use only drops of these and a bottle lasts to make several bottles of spray depending on how strong you make your scent.

DIY Fabreze Alternative Recipe:

Place 2 tablespoons cheap vodka in a clean 20-30 oz spray bottle. Add distilled water to almost the top. Add 20-25 drops essential oil (not “fragrance oils” but essential oils as bought for aromatherapy in many health stores or online) of your choice, use more or less though until you get the scent you want (lavender, peppermint, or orange are nice, sandalwood is a little more masculine).

Shake before using. This lasts forever because of the distilled water. The vodka keeps it sanitary, and helps the water to evaporate quicker.

Mist it anywhere and enjoy! It’s safe for fabrics, and won’t leave stains. I have a suede couch and it has never left any stains on even this!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      shirley56

Thank you for sharing this. I may give it a try!

angelwhispers4

Great! I hope you like it 🙂

MsDebbie

Rubbing alcohol would probably work also.

angelwhispers4

@MsDebbie 441548 wrote:

Rubbing alcohol would probably work also.

Rubbing alcohol has a strong smell though and vodka does not have much smell at all. Also rubbing alcohol is not safe on all surfaces. But yes the rubbing alcohol would make it dry and it would help preserve it I believe.

MsDebbie

I was mainly thinking of people that dont buy booze lol.

angelwhispers4

@MsDebbie 442722 wrote:

I was mainly thinking of people that dont buy booze lol.

lol…i understand that. i use the vodka for cleaning things only and you do have to be willing to go into the liquor store and ask for the cheapest vodka they have and even say it is for cleaning not drinking so they don’t try to sell you better stuff 🙂

MsDebbie

I’m excited to try it, going to store today.

Gramshel

Just being wacky ! If we really took it to the greenest level you could grow then distill your own potatoes and start with your own homemade Vodka!
      Love this site!

angelwhispers4

@Gramshel 443685 wrote:

Just being wacky ! If we really took it to the greenest level you could grow then distill your own potatoes and start with your own homemade Vodka!
      Love this site!

that’s a great idea…lol 🙂

Rosepedal57

I made this recipe yesterday, loved the ease of making it. It smells wonderful! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

krmcoupon

I can’t wait to try this… will be going shopping tomorrow.

FreebieQueen

If you’re not a drinker you can also get “sample” size bottles for about $1 that would have enough vodka to make a couple of batches.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Household Recipes DIY Fabreze Alternative that is totally green, does NOT use fabric softener!