Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Left Over Layering Dirt Cheap Farmers Casserole- It’s What’s for Dinner!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

This casserole dish is great for breakfast, brunch or dinner! it’s kind of like a hearty quiche, but so simple and delicious. image not available

ingredients:
      6 c. frozen shredded hash browns (basically 1 bag)
      1 1/2 c.shredded Cheddar cheese
      2 cups diced cooked ham
      1/2 c. sliced green onions
      8 large beaten eggs
      Two 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
      1/4 t.

salt
      1/4 t. pepper

Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish (I use an 11×14). Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onion. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper.

Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish. Bake at 350 45-55 min.

Source 97.5 Radio Station

Participant

This looks quite similar to something that my mother used to make. What queued the memory was using evaporated milk! My mother was terrific at making casseroles, but that was the age of the 50’s.

Making casseroles was the thing to do to feed your family! Why? No clue!

But my research has led me to believe that the ‘proper’ homemake should make casseroles to stretch the food budget during that period of time.
      RicePicker…where are you from? Most casseroles from the period I mentioned are divided by the type of milk that they used. It appears that Southern states used evaporated milk while northen states used whole milk.

Just curious…trying to add to my research… It’s been a very long time since i used evaporated milk;-d and just for the record, the recipe — if like my mother’s — is very tasty!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Left Over Layering Dirt Cheap Farmers Casserole- It’s What’s for Dinner!