Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all, I have a bullbee or a beagle bulldog mix who loves to chew chew chew. Aside from our furniture, which she ate shortly after we got her, we go through bones and toys like crazy. Last week we tried a fire hose toy (9.99) and well, it lasted about a day and a half.

The kong from the week before didn’t make it 10 minutes. The only thing that has made it is the super thick red kong that you can stick food in. She doesn’t play with it, just gets the food out and then forgets it.

She loves squeaky things the best, but the squeakers are the first to go. She actually finds them by watching where you squeak or where it squeaks when she chews it then goes directly for that spot until she has it out. If she is not kept in supply, she goes after everything from our bedding, her bedding, furniture, leashes or anything wooden.

She has even climbed on my son’s bed and chewed on the headboard and the railing to our stairs. I need something that will be durable and fun for her….any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Wow your puppy has some strong teeth :). My isn’t quite that bad but the best chew we have found is an old towel that we cut into wide strips and tied a knot in the middle. You can also use an old sock that has a hole.

If you are looking to purchase something that has a squeaker to it, those flat soft animal toys really work, you know the ones that do not have any stuffing. We have found that our dog goes after anything that belongs to one boy in the house. We think this is the dog’s way of getting the boy to spend time with him and to keep his smell close.

So when I clean the towels or sock, I give it to that son to play with the dog for awhile and the dog will leave other things alone. Hope you find something that will work for your puppy before everything is chewed to bits in your house.

angelsvn24, I feel for you. I’ve been through similar circumstances with different breeds.
      The best thing I’ve found so far is rawhide dental bones. ((My Rottweiler is addicted to these blasted things)).
      They come in a 15 ct package at Sam’s.

Price ranges from $13-$15.
      Other places carry a similar product, but different prices. My dogs will chew on the other brands, but definitely prefer the Sam’s brand.
      As far as my pack goes, it’s WELL worth the cost.
      I usually give them one a day. Some days they just ‘wag’ them around the house, other times they start chewing and don’t want to stop until they’ve almost finished it.
      I discovered this bones about 7 years ago, they’ve worked well for us and our dogs.

Saved a LOT of wear, tear, and destruction on our furniture, furnishings, and home.

Avatar for angelsvn24FreebieQueen

We also used to buy the Sams Brand Rawhide Dental chews, when we had leftover gravy from meals, we’d coat the bones, bake them at 350F for 15 minutes or so and then recoat and rebake so they had a layer of gravy baked on. Be sure to give them the bones OUTSIDE because they”ll make a mess with them. It’ll be a Happy Mess, lol

Keymaster

@angelsvn24 269027 wrote:

The only thing that has made it is the super thick red kong that you can stick food in. She doesn’t play with it, just gets the food out and then forgets it. She loves squeaky things the best, but the squeakers are the first to go.

Have you tried the Unbreakoball? She wont be able to destroy that one!

thank you all for your suggestions, I have tried some of them before, she loves blankets, towels and socks. I plan on trying everything. She finished off her Kong Wubba Wednesday.

( bought that one on Saturday). She has also gone through two rolls of paper towels, 6 cardboard boxes and a couple of coke cans this week. Anyone want to take bets on the unbreakaball?

:))) She loves to get attention by taking things she is not supposed to by the way….and making us chase her. Her last attempt was my son’s beyblade arena, which is about as long as she is. She picked it up, made sure I knew she had it, and ran for the stairs…which she promptly found out she couldn’t run up with the arena in her mouth.

I got the unbreakoball yesterday. Its pretty cool, she likes to play soccer with it but is not able to pick it up as it is a little too big for her. I put some beggin strips in the holes to help encourage her, but mostly she just paws it around a little and then stops.

It is definately unbreakable though. She likes to clunk it down the stairs and it doesn’t even have a dent! My son is playing with it too.

He has invented a bowling game with it so it was worth the money. Still getting bones and going to rebake some of the ones I have that she chewed all the good stuff off of.

Avatar for angelsvn24FreebieQueen

@angelsvn24 272165 wrote:

I got the unbreakoball yesterday. Its pretty cool, she likes to play soccer with it but is not able to pick it up as it is a little too big for her. I put some beggin strips in the holes to help encourage her, but mostly she just paws it around a little and then stops. It is definately unbreakable though. She likes to clunk it down the stairs and it doesn’t even have a dent! My son is playing with it too. He has invented a bowling game with it so it was worth the money. Still getting bones and going to rebake some of the ones I have that she chewed all the good stuff off of.

That’s too funny! You could use a little dab of bacon grease in the hole too for added flavor, but then again, maybe it’s a good thing if she learns to play with toys without shredding them to pieces. You don’t want her breaking her teeth. Sounds like the toy is a hit, we’d love to see pics of your pup 🙂

I think my husband has some on his phone. I will try to get some up soon. The unbreakoball is still alive and well.

My friend recommended a nylabone. We bought one of those this week and it is also pretty sturdy. We got one that had a rubber ball with “teeth” which I stuck some cat kibbles in (another one of her faves) and she chewed a small hole in it but the bone part is holding its own too.

Thanks for the bacon grease idea, I have a jar of that stored in my fridge for corn chowder. I can spare some.

She has figured out the unbreakaball. She picks it up by sticking her canines in the holes. It hangs out of the side of her mouth.

I am trying to get a pic of her with it, but she won’t stay still long enough. I have added her pic to my profile. I am not too computer savvy and couldn’t get it on here any other way….

The bacon grease was a good idea, she likes it:)

This is why I call my two bullies (bull terriers) the “Little Monsters” – LOL! I didn’t see where you had listed the age of your little monster, but I have noticed the chewing issue eases up some as they grow older. My older bullie, Pearl, is 7 now and is only interested in the rawhides that were mentioned in another post. If you ask her if she wants a rawhide, she jumps up and comes to attention immediately!

Unfortunately, they only last about 10 minutes with these two, but it is a highlight of their day. My younger pup, Noodle, is 3 now and has slowly stopped chewing everything in sight over the past year. She still likes to abscond with anything she finds on the floor or in the laundry basket, but she just takes it to her bed and leaves it there now.

🙂 I also picked up a couple of the Nylabones and I rub some peanut butter on the ends of them once in a while for something different. They like them, until the peanut butter is gone, then leave them lying around. As if you can’t tell, I love me bullies!

I have a chewer too, Shar pei/bulldog mix. I make homemade dog biscuits and for him I shape them into large sausage size rolls, bake for about 40 minutes and then let sit in the oven overnight to really harden it up. When he sees that he loves to take it outside and spends about an hour playing and chewing it.

It’s good for cleaning his teeth, but not too hard to cause damage and because I use good fresh ingredients it’s healthy too.

just sending an update….now that the weather is getting better, she is getting outside more, so we are chewing a little less and digging holes a whole lot more. She has figured out how to pick up the unbreakoball now, by hooking her upper and lower canines on one side of her mouth into the holes in the ball. It is so funny!

The ball hangs out of the side of her mouth, but she looks so proud of herself! We found some Kong tennis balls that squeak and she likes those. They come 3 in a package so when she mutilates one, I have another one ready.

Thanks again for all of the ideas!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.