Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Someone had this posted on Craigslist, has free depression recipes. So I ask them to send me a copy. Very interesting recipes here.

Love the way they worded things back then. These are recipes that they used during the depression I believe.

Depression Recipes

Pasta with Peas
      potatoes
      onions
      olive oil
      peas
      tomato sauce(optional)
      water to cook pasta in
      peel and dice potatoe and dice onion. put a little olive oil in it fry it until potatoes are “rosy”. Open can of peas and put them in.

Wait til it boils to put the pasta in. Simmer til pasta is done.Put desired amount of salt and pepper. Put desired amount of tomato sauce in and Serve.

Egg Drop Soup
      Eggs
      Potato
      Onion
      Olive Oil
      1/2 pot full of water
      salt and Pepper
      Bread(choose to toast or not toast)
      shredded cheese( you shred yourself or buy already shredded)
      Dice and peel potatoes and onions. Fry potatoe and onion in olive oil. Brown.

Get eggs ready and let it simmer for a bit. Put the eggs in it, let them scramble. (one egg per person.)

Poor Man’s meal
      Potatoes
      Hot dogs
      vegetable oil
      tomatoe sauce(optional)
      onion
      peel and cube tomatoes and onions.

Put pil in with them and let them simmer. Cut up Hotdog, Fry with potatoe and onion, when hotdogs bend up a little it is done.

Peppers and Eggs
      red, yellow and green peppers(1 of each)
      vbegetable oil
      4 eggs
      salt and pepper
      cut and fry pepper in oil. Turn heat down after peppers begin to brown. whisk 4 eggs together, put them in and let them scramble under wown heat, serve with homemade bread (see below)

Homemade bread

5 lbs of flour
      2 oz of yiest
      water
      add room temperature water throughout. When it feel like proper dough, add salt and sugar to taste. let it rise for about 3 hours.cut slits.

bake until it gets fairly rosy

Depression Breakfast
      coffee
      (homemade) bread(cook night before)
      butter
      sugar
      eggs flour

mix together eggsadd 1.5 cups of flour and add sugar. make into cookies, bake at 350 til rosy. serve with bread, butter and coffee.

I just love looking at these depression recipes. Many of them are good, just like grandma made, comforting foods. Thanks for the great post

I like to read them too. They are very interesting aren’t they………did you see how they did the bread. Added the salt and suger last……and they didn’t measure anything.

Which is how I cook alot of times too.

Tonia, I just throw things together too 🙂 Sometimes it is difficult when someone asks for a recipe. I think after cooking a while you learn what goes good with what and can pretty much eyeball it LOL

Participant

i watched this videos a few days ago. my grandfather said he ate the same things mostly. this is where the videos are from.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

Great videos, that must be where they got the recipes from. Thanks for sharing. She is a very sweet lady isn’t she?

@tsgal 110299 wrote:

Someone had this posted on Craigslist, has free depression recipes. So I ask them to send me a copy. Very interesting recipes here.

Love the way they worded things back then. These are recipes that they used during the depression I believe.

Depression Recipes

Yes that is ” Depression Cooking with Clara ” You can see her in action with her lovely stories to tell on youtube! thanks for the recipes so I don’t have to keep jotting notes as she’s cooking!

I love Clara’s YouTube videos! I wish she had more on there.

@tsgal 110299 wrote:

Depression Recipes

Pasta with Peas
      potatoes
      onions
      olive oil
      peas
      tomato sauce(optional)
      water to cook pasta in
      peel and dice potatoe and dice onion. put a little olive oil in it fry it until potatoes are “rosy”. Open can of peas and put them in.

Wait til it boils to put the pasta in. Simmer til pasta is done.Put desired amount of salt and pepper. Put desired amount of tomato sauce in and Serve.

Egg Drop Soup
      Eggs
      Potato
      Onion
      Olive Oil
      1/2 pot full of water
      salt and Pepper
      Bread(choose to toast or not toast)
      shredded cheese( you shred yourself or buy already shredded)
      Dice and peel potatoes and onions. Fry potatoe and onion in olive oil. Brown.

Get eggs ready and let it simmer for a bit. Put the eggs in it, let them scramble. (one egg per person.)

Poor Man’s meal
      Potatoes
      Hot dogs
      vegetable oil
      tomatoe sauce(optional)
      onion
      peel and cube tomatoes and onions.

Put pil in with them and let them simmer. Cut up Hotdog, Fry with potatoe and onion, when hotdogs bend up a little it is done.

Peppers and Eggs
      red, yellow and green peppers(1 of each)
      vbegetable oil
      4 eggs
      salt and pepper
      cut and fry pepper in oil. Turn heat down after peppers begin to brown. whisk 4 eggs together, put them in and let them scramble under wown heat, serve with homemade bread (see below)

Homemade bread

5 lbs of flour
      2 oz of yiest
      water
      add room temperature water throughout. When it feel like proper dough, add salt and sugar to taste. let it rise for about 3 hours.cut slits.

bake until it gets fairly rosy

Depression Breakfast
      coffee
      (homemade) bread(cook night before)
      butter
      sugar
      eggs flour

mix together eggsadd 1.5 cups of flour and add sugar. make into cookies, bake at 350 til rosy. serve with bread, butter and coffee.

I made the Pasta with Peas tonight for dinner, pretty tasty!

(I used wholewheat pasta). Can’t wait to try the other recipes. Thanks!

Don’t put the tomato sauce in the poor mans meal. Yucky. It is very good without it.

I did try it both ways.

Your very welcome, glad to hear that you tried one of the recipes. Let us know if you try any of the other ones.

@gizzymo1960 112111 wrote:

Don’t put the tomato sauce in the poor mans meal. Yucky. It is very good without it.

I did try it both ways.

So sorry you didn’t like it. Glad that it turned out okay without the tomato sauce…..I’ll keep that one in mind when I make it. But we like tomato sauce with macironi, so we might like it okay.

Poor Man’s meal is VERY Feasible in my house as I am on Disability. Though I would have to pick up beef wieners as I dont use pork.

looking forward to trying a few of these out. Thanks for the post!

@KawaiiGiggle 110672 wrote:

i watched this videos a few days ago. my grandfather said he ate the same things mostly. this is where the videos are from.

YouTube – DepressionCooking’s Channel[/url]

I love watching those depression cooking videos! The stories she tells are really interesting and the recipes are always quick and look pretty good.
      She reminds me of an old friend of my family (practically a second grandmother of mine) who raised a large family during the Depression and also told great stories! 🙂

Thank You for Sharing This!

Okay this is just a silly little thing my dad and his family ate on the way to school during the depression. Homemade biscuit, hot, stick finger in the middle to make a hole and put butter with either sorghum, honey, syrup. Any thing they had at the time. If they made it to town without eating them, all the kids in town wanted their homemade things, while they longed for what they had…like store bought bread. Funny how you always want what the other person has.

Ate lots of cornbread and way to much chicken. To this day he will hardly ever eat chicken.

It’s funny how depending on where you were how bad it was! My Mom grew up in Jasper Co. MO and while they grew up in the depression and were very poor, they had patched clothes and something to eat each day. My Father how ever was living in Oklahoma as a share cropper family that also got hit with the dust bowl. They end up roaming and had nothing at all for several years. They lived on what they could get, rabbit, squirrel, possum, and coon. My Dad said it was mostly possum and they all hated the greased foul nasty rat of a thing. They gathered weeds and grasses to mix into a pot with whatever meat they could find. If they were lucky they were able to eat once a day but sometimes they couldn’t come up with water, weeds or anything and they all kept roaming and hoped they’d survive and find what they needed. Both families had 12 children. Living off the land has always been a passion for me. Where I am at in extreme NW MO is a good place to survive if it ever came to that. I’ve taught my kids how to survive on nothing which has helped some of them get through college on air! Your Dad might not of cared for chicken after his ordeal but at least he had stuff that was decent to eat at the time! My Dad hated possum so much I don’t think me or my kids could ever eat one after all he told us!

Katz…that sounds delish! Think I might try it:)

Cheap Pancakes.

Two eggs, milk, and self rising flour. Mix desired consentency. Very cheap and a hardy breakfest:smile:

one smoked ham hock or neckbone . 1 -2 cans mixed veggies or you’re leftovers.Cook meat for a bit add veg. For bread : anything you have. Light bread,hotdog buns etc. In a cup put any kind of oil. Such as veg or olive even butter.You can mix them if you want. Put in any green herbs you have in the cabnet and garlic. If you have parmesan, throw it in.mix. spread on bread and toast. Really good Really cheap

Don’t used canned peas…….. I usually don’t mind canned peas on the plate, but in these recipes they we’re awful. I made them again using frozen peas and they were delish

I’d love to try that bread, and maybe even the cookies. The cookies are only 3 ingredients. Looks like it might be good!

@HaleighBaleigh 258425 wrote:

I’d love to try that bread, and maybe even the cookies. The cookies are only 3 ingredients. Looks like it might be good!

Did you note the recipes? Would love to see it…;-)

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.