Creole Souflee

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Here’s a recipe from mu childhood. I’ve had to experiment a bit as my DM was ‘a little of this and that’ kind of cook.

Of course, I’m not much better, but with a fairly good memory I can remember what I did and jot it down if it is successfulgiggle smiley
      Creole Souflee
      1/4 cup butter
      1/4 cup minced onion
      1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1/4 cup all-purpose flour
      1 1/2 cups milk
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      6 eggs, divided
      2 tbs diced pimiento
      1 1/2 cups cooked ham, ground
      Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.

Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add flour, stirring until smooth.

Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Add salt and pepper.

Cook until sauce is thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
      Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Add a small amount (about 1/3 cup) of the hot sauce to the egg yolks, stirring quickly to blend.

Return egg yolk mixture to the sauce in the pan. Add pimiento and ham. Stir gently.Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir about 1/2 cup whites into the ham mixture. Gently fold ham mixture into remaining whites.

Turn mixture into an ungreased 2-quart sauté dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until firm. Serves 6.
      Note: My dm was obsessed with piemento…my thought is that it was for color because i cannot find a dietary reason (or flavoring for that matter) for the addition.

i’ve made it with and without and truly do not see a difference. what’s your take on this?
      fyi: this was a special breakfast for us…we saw it on birthdays and anniversaries and woe to those that didn’t know which anniversary she was celebrating!
      momkids smilie

@mos 358362 wrote:

Here’s a recipe from mu childhood. I’ve had to experiment a bit as my DM was ‘a little of this and that’ kind of cook.

Of course, I’m not much better, but with a fairly good memory I can remember what I did and jot it down if it is successfulgiggle smiley
      Creole Souflee
      1/4 cup butter
      1/4 cup minced onion
      1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1/4 cup all-purpose flour
      1 1/2 cups milk
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      6 eggs, divided
      2 tbs diced pimiento
      1 1/2 cups cooked ham, ground
      Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.

Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add flour, stirring until smooth.

Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Add salt and pepper.

Cook until sauce is thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
      Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Add a small amount (about 1/3 cup) of the hot sauce to the egg yolks, stirring quickly to blend.

Return egg yolk mixture to the sauce in the pan. Add pimiento and ham. Stir gently.Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir about 1/2 cup whites into the ham mixture. Gently fold ham mixture into remaining whites.

Turn mixture into an ungreased 2-quart sauté dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until firm. Serves 6.
      Note: My dm was obsessed with piemento…my thought is that it was for color because i cannot find a dietary reason (or flavoring for that matter) for the addition.

i’ve made it with and without and truly do not see a difference. what’s your take on this?
      fyi: this was a special breakfast for us…we saw it on birthdays and anniversaries and woe to those that didn’t know which anniversary she was celebrating!
      momkids smilie

sounds delicious! i will be trying this one for sure.

Let us know how you like it AND if you used piementogiggle smiley

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.