- This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated November 21, 2008 at 9:08 am by .
- November 4, 2008 at 1:50 am #265889Carolyn37803
cream cheese potato soup
12 servings (about 3 quarts)
6 cups water
7 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
1 package (30 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill weed
In a Dutch oven, combine the water and bouillon.
Add cream cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 18-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
When served, I add bowls of green onions, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and Bacon Bits…..this is an awesome soup and when the weather gets cool, we eat it about every 2 weeks! YUMMMMM!!
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 158 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 779 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
- November 4, 2008 at 1:56 am #402551JoAnn
I really like potatoe soup. But the cream cheese in this recipe is a new twist for me. I’ll have to try this one.Thanks.
- November 4, 2008 at 6:10 am #402567jkpjohnson
We are trying this Sat afternoon, cannot wait. Looking for Good soup recipes is what Mike wants me to do this week. We are both in the mood (got our oversized mugs out of the cupboard, found a couple of good homemade bread recipes to try).
bring on the snow
- November 4, 2008 at 7:47 am #402574wilbe95I don’t know about you Pamela but the snow is suppose to be here before Saturday 🙂
Yes soup is always great and this sounds very creamy. Thanks
- November 5, 2008 at 7:21 pm #402817Carolyn37803
After I make this, I put it in the crock pot on warm and we usually eat on it the whole weekend!! If needed or if you can’t wait long enough (like us), thicken with some instant mashed potatoes! Make sure and thaw the frozen taters!
They can be quite crunchy otherwise……….:045:
- November 5, 2008 at 11:06 pm #402841beansthemamaSounds great, you can never have too many potato cheese soup recipes. Thanks I will try this one
- November 19, 2008 at 3:36 am #403952jkpjohnson
Finally tried this, it was great. I made the following changes (to use up some ing. I had on hand.
I used 2 1/2 c each of homemade chicken and ham stock, 1 c water and 3 t chicken granuals. Added sliced fresh mushrooms, carrots, celery and onions. Added 1.5 T whole caraway seeds, 1 T fresh chopped parsley and 2 sm cloves of minced garlic.Cooked on low heat for 2 hrs. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy !
- November 21, 2008 at 9:08 am #404201Janice Terrell
This sounds wonderful I will try it
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.