Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dump Recipes Cowboy Casserole

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Cowboy Casserole

1 onion, chopped
      1 1/2 pound ground chuck, browned and drained
      6 medium potatoes, sliced
      1 can red beans
      1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes mixed with 2 tablespoons flour or 1 can tomato soup
      Salt and pepper and garlic to taste

Put chopped onion in the bottom of the crock pot; layer with browned ground beef, sliced potatoes and beans. Spread tomatoes or soup over all. Sprinkle with seasonings as desired.

Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.

Serves 4 to 6.

sounds very good will try

Browning my chuck now!

we loved it!!!!!!! i added a can of hot rotell to it.thank you.

Participant

this reminds me of what we call cowboy stew, my son is a very picky eater but loves red beans and rice, so the next night we take the left over beans and sausage toss in browned ground beef (very lean normally chuck) tomato paste, corn and a touch of chili powder letting it simmer for about 30 minutes or simply reheating it in the crock pot. Serve as a stew or over rice.

Really like your variation. Adding the corn and serving over rice sounds excellent. Thanks

I’m making this recipe this week. I’ll be using a chuck roast I got on sale. My husband can’t eat beans so I’ll probably add a can or corn with rotel tomatoes and potatoes.

Thank you for the recipe. I’m sure it will make my family very happy.

Deefinitely trying this recipe tonight!!! Can’t wait.

@rtebalt 126014 wrote:

Cowboy Casserole

1 onion, chopped
      1 1/2 pound ground chuck, browned and drained
      6 medium potatoes, sliced
      1 can red beans
      1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes mixed with 2 tablespoons flour or 1 can tomato soup
      Salt and pepper and garlic to taste

Put chopped onion in the bottom of the crock pot; layer with browned ground beef, sliced potatoes and beans. Spread tomatoes or soup over all. Sprinkle with seasonings as desired.

Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.
      Serves 4 to 6.

Gonna incorporate this into my menu plan in a few weeks.
      Thanks for sharing!!

My Goodness, this cowboy casserole sound delicious! I come from Cowboy Country in Colorado, and I’ve never had cowboy before. sounds yummy AND economical!

MmmmMM.

Participant

rtebalt…as usual, another good recipe… Sorry I missed it the first time around!

Does anyone know, would it work to get this ready ahead of time but put it all in a freezer bag and then just dump it in? I don’t know how the tomatoes or the beans would do in the freezer.

Thanks!

Valerie

Hmm this sounds good, adding to my crock pot recipe list in my binder , thank you

thanks for sharing was trying to figure out what to cook tonight for dinner sounds great!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You all for your comments and glad you like it… my boys love it when I fix it.

Thank you I think you will like it my boys love it!!!!

This looks great thanks going to make it tonight!

Sounds quick and easy… adding in some corn sounds like a great idea too. Thanks!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dump Recipes Cowboy Casserole