Holidays & Special Occasions Christmas-Yule-hanukkah-Kwanzaa-Winter Solstice Countdown to Christmas Day #4 (2 days left!!)

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author
      Liss
      Keymaster

Welcome to our Budget101.com Countdown to Christmas Challenge Day #4– Each day we’ll be bringing you a new challenge question and giving you the opportunity to win one (or all!) of our fantastic Giveaway Goodies.

Here’s how to Play:

1. Reply to this thread and answer the Budget101 Challenge Question listed below
      2. 1 Lucky Recipient will be randomly selected from all qualifying entries

Challenge Question of the Day:

What one recipe do you HAVE TO HAVE every year? Share your favorite Christmastime Recipe- it can be for breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizer, dessert etc.

note Entry doesn’t count if the recipe is omitted!

Today’s Giveaway Goodie is: A Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press

Read More about Budget101 Challenges and how they work here!

[b101][/b101]

What one recipe do you HAVE TO HAVE every year? Share your favorite Christmastime Recipe- it can be for breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizer, dessert etc.

Only 1 recipe? I’d have to say that it’s just NOT christmas without Gingerbread Pancakes for breakfast!

Christmas Gingerbread Pancakes
      1 cup all-purpose flour
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
      1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
      1 egg
      3/4 cup milk
      2 tablespoons molasses
      1 tablespoon canola oil
      6 tablespoons maple pancake syrup
      3/4 cup apple pie filling, warmed
      3 tablespoons dried cranberries

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice, mixing well. Then add egg, milk, molasses and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
      Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle over medium heat; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.

To serve, place two pancakes on each plate; drizzle with 2 tablespoons syrup.
      Top with 1/4 cup apple pie filling; sprinkle with cranberries.
      This serves 2, but can be doubled, tripled, whatever.

We make Reindeer Bites- you take little pretzels, add a rolo candy to it (make a whole tray of them!) them put them in the oven for about 2 minutes to soften the chocolate and caramel than cover it with a pecan and squish it down gently. I dont remember when the kids started calling them reindeer bites, but they are OH SO GOOD.

1 cup Karo Syrup, 3 eggs (fresh from my own chickens), 1 cup of sugar, 2 Tbsp of melted butter, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, 1-1/2 cups of pecans, 1 9″ deep dish pie shell.
      In a mixing bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients with a spoon. Then lightly stir in pecans. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes. Cool for 2 hours or over night before serving.

Peppermint Ice Cream Pie

Simple – great to make with kids since there is no baking involved

Chocolate graham cracker crust – Buy premade (Keebler)
      1/2 Gallon Peppermint Ice Cream – your favorite brand or whatever is on sale
      Peppermint Bark or any chocolate or peppermint candy like candy canes

Melt ice cream until soft. Let it sit out. Do not microwave as it will turn to soupy liquid. You just want it soft enough to get out of the container.
      Fill graham cracker crust with melted ice cream/
      Break peppermint bark into pieces and sprinkle on top.
      Freeze until firm and ready to serve.

YUM!

I absolutely have to make peanut butter balls every year

My whole family has to have this dish for Christmas…it’s probably terribly bad for you, but sooooo delicious:

Sinful Potatoes

2 one-pound bags of frozen O’Brien potatoes (small squares with red and green peppers, very festive!)
      16-ounce box Velveeta Mexican Mild
      2 cups mayo
      1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (but I actually use 1 whole pound)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
      Melt Velveeta and mayo over low heat, stirring frequently. When thoroughly mixed and heated, mix cheese/mayo mixture and potatoes in a big bowl, and combine well. It takes a while, since there are so many potatoes and the cheese is pretty thick.
      Scoop it all into a 9 x 11 casserole dish and bake for at least 45 to 60 minutes, topping with the bacon after about 1/2 hour or so, since you don’t want the bacon burnt. Bake until the cheese and potatoes begin to brown just a little, for the best taste and creaminess. Sometimes it takes longer than 60 minutes, but it’s worth it!

We make a Graham cracker Cake every year. It is delicious, and never lasts very long!

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
      2 cups sugar
      5 eggs
      2 teaspoons vanilla extract
      1 package (14 to 14 1/2) ounces graham crackers, finely crushed
      2 teaspoons baking powder
      1 cup milk

Preparation:

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add crushed graham crackers, baking powder, milk, and coconut; mix well. Pour mixture into 3 greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans (or grease and line bottoms with wax paper). Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool and frost with pineapple frosting.

Pineapple Frosting

1 can (12 to 15 ounces) crushed pineapple, or about 1 1/2 cups, well drained
      1/2 cup butter, softened
      1 box (1 pound) confectioners’ sugar (about 3 3/4 cups, unsifted)

My mom always made gingerbread syrup to put on pancakes, waffles or toasted biscuits when we were kids and now I make it every year as well. It’s also pretty good on hot cereal like oatmeal or cream of wheat. My husband isnt above using the leftovers as a glaze on his pork chops too.

Gingerbread Spiced Syrup

2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches), broken into pieces
      16 whole cloves
      3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh gingerroot
      1 teaspoon whole allspice
      1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
      2 cups sugar
      2 cups water
      2 tablespoons honey
      1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Put the cinnamon, cloves, gingerroot, allspice and peppercorns into a muslin spice/tea bag and tie it shut.

Combine the sugar, water, honey, nutmeg and spice bag in a medium size saucepan over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Immediately Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until syrup reaches desired consistency- basically depends on how thick you like it!

Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Discard spice bag; transfer syrup to airtight containers. This stores well in the fridge for 30-45 days and makes about 2 cups

mos
      Participant

My must have is what I call a “Country Breakfast”
      5 strips bacon, chopped
      2 tbs finely chopped onion
      3 medium cooked potatoes, cubed
      6 eggs, beaten
      salt and pepper to taste
      1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
      In a heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In drippings, cook onion and potatoes until browned, about 5 minutes. Pour beaten eggs into the skillet. Cook, stirring gently, until eggs are set and cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the bacon and shredded cheese. Let stand a minute or two, just until cheese melts. Serves 4.

Ever since I can remember my family has had fried bread dough for Christmas brunch. My grandparents would come over and we would open presents and then start making breakfast. It’s just risen bread dough sorta smooshed out like small pancakes and then deep fried. We eat it with butter and syrup like a pancake. Or with cinnamon sugar, or flavored syrups, or whatever anyone wants, but butter and syrup are my favorite. I now continue this tradition with my own children.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Arils:

2 lbs Brussles Sprouts
      1/2 – 1 cup Pomegranate Arils
      Scant 1/4 cup olive oil
      Salt and pepper to taste
      Garlic powder (optional)
      Cranberry Juice (optional)

Mix all in ingredients in a mixing bowl. Spread evenly on a cooking tray. Roast in oven at 425 F for 20-30 minutes.

I have to make cookies, rum balls, peanut butter balls, peanut blossoms…but I really could not survive without the rum balls. They ‘re my favorite!

Our Christmas must is two fold. I make an elderberry sauce for pancakes and french toast. Enough to have and freeze. I also make a mixed red berry sauce for angel food cake.

Elderberry Sauce
      1lb elderberries cleaned and rinsed
      I bottle clear karo syrup
      1 cup unsweetened unfiltered apple juice
      Cook on medium low heat in a sauce pan. Stir regularly to avoid burning. Once it is loose and colored thru reduce to lowest heat until it reaches desired viscosity.

Red Sauce
      1cup each
      Raspberries
      Strawberries
      Cherries
      Currants
      (My mom always used fruit she froze in the summer for this. Currants are not readily available where I live now so you can add them if you are lucky enough to.)
      1 cup of castor sugar
      1-1/2 cups champagne
      1 store bought angel food cake or home prepared.

Rinse and clean all of your berries.
      Place champagne in saucepan on med low heat. Add castor sugar. Raise heat only enough to melt the sugar. Begin adding the berries one type at a time, a few minutes between each type. (This step is slow but needed to make sure the flavor comes out in layers). Depending on how high the heat and evaporation of liquid more champagne may be added ad it cooks. Once all berries have been combined give it several minutes to simmer and several more minutes to cool before pouring over your angel food came.

Good question! Peanut Butter Fudge from a recipe passed down from my grandmother — it’s a yummy Christmas tradition and always makes an appearance at family get-togethers during the holiday season.

2 cups sugar
      3 tbsp. butter
      1/2 c milk

Stir and cook in a saucepan over med-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 3 minutes. (My mom goes by the 3-minute rule and always has perfect fudge. I have to test it at this point to see if it’s at “softball stage.”)

Remove pan from heat. Add:
      1 cup creamy peanut butter (We’ve tried various brands, but Jif is the one that the whole family successfully uses.)
      1 tsp vanilla flavoring

Beat with a mixer until thickened. Pour onto a greased platter and let cool.

The 1 recipe i make every year fo rmy family is a breakfast casserole.

1 roll of sausage
      12 eggs
      3/4 cup milk
      1 block of co-jack cheese shredded
      1 bag of hashbrowns

i fry and crumble the sausage, let cool. then line my oval casserole dish with thawed hashbrowns, add the sausage, beat the eggs, add the cheese to the eggs(keeping a good handful to the side) and mix pour over the sausage. let sit in fridge over night. the next morning i cover with foil, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the eggs start to get done in the middle. i out the remainder of cheese on top, remove the foil and bake until the cheese is crispy.

this is great because breakfast is done about the same time we are done opening presents. it makes a solid block so the kids can eat in the living room(another Christmas present) with out making a mess.

The fav we do every year is homemade peanut clusters for friends.
      2 almond bark pieces
      1 bag of chocolate chips
      1 bag of raw peanuts
      Melt almond bark in sauce pan or double broiler. then add chocolate chips let them melt to a creamy texture Remove from heat and add peanuts Stir til they are all coated and then put down wax paper and drop them spoonful by spoonful onto wax paper and let them set up for an hour

We always get together Christmas eve with my in-laws and the assorted family members. It’s a heavy appetizer event, we open presents and attend Mass before coming back and having dessert. My father-in-law requests I make this every year. I’m not a big fan, but he inhales it.

Cheese Ball

2 (8 oz) packages of softened cream cheese
      4 cups (16 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
      2 large crushed garlic cloves
      1/4 tsp of red pepper
      1/4 tsp thyme
      1/4 tsp basil
      1/4 tsp black pepper
      1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
      1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or almonds)
      paprika
      parsley

Combine everything but nuts, paprika, parsley. The food processor makes this a snap to do. Separate mixture into two balls. Roll in nuts, then sprinkle with parsley and paprika to make it look pretty and Christmasy. Refrigerate for a day to allow flavors to blend. Serve with crackers.
      1/4 cup chopped onions

We have oyster stew on Christmas Eve. It was a tradition from my mother’s family. Our recipes vary, depends on who makes it. Here my recipe:

Oyster Stew

Two jars of extra-small raw oysters
      Three tablespoons of butter
      One cup of finely sliced celery
      One half cup of green onions
      One pint half and half

Pour the oysters, liquid and all into the pan with the butter. Cook long enough for the oysters to plump up. If they are really big, which even those labeled X-Small often are, cut them up. Add the celery and green onions. Let this simmer together for three or four minutes. Pour in the half and half. Let it warm. Adjust the salt. Serve!

Chicken N’ Dumplings
      I fat hen boiled and deboned
      salt, pepper to taste
      rolled dumplings made by using large bowl of flour, 1/4 Cup Crisco and 1 Cup cold water. Kneaded until non sticky, rolled out, cut in strips, dropped in chicken stock.
      Put deboned chicken back in pot with dumplings. Season with chicken base if needed.

Sweet Potato Casserole

6 medium sweet potatoes
      1/4 tsp. salt
      2 tbsp. butter, softened
      2 eggs
      1 & 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
      3/4 tsp. Vietnamese cinnamon
      1/3 cup sugar
      1/4 cup cream (heavy cream or half & half)

Streusel Topping:
      4 tbsp. chilled butter (1/2 stick)
      1/4 Cup flour
      3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
      1/2 Cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan and set aside. Peel, quarter and boil sweet potatoes for 10-15 minutes until fork tender, drain and dry well. Or, pierce 3 sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave until softened. This can take anywhere from 6-15 minutes, depending on your microwave and the size of the potatoes, so pay attention the first few times you do it! Repeat with the remaining sweet potatoes. When cool enough to handle, peel the sweet potatoes and place in a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Add the salt, butter, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and cream, and mix until smooth. Spoon into the baking dish and spread evenly.

For the Streusel topping:
      In a medium bowl, combine the butter, flour and brown sugar. Mix with 2 forks or knives, a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of coarse meal. Stir in the pecans if using. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes or until the topping is crisp and lightly browned.

Prep. time: 30 minutes
      Baking time: 30-45 minutes
      Yield: 6-8 servings

Because of family gatherings, we have Crock Pot Hot Chocolate. It is very simple and very rich and chocolatey.

Crock Pot Hot Chocolate

1 1/2 cup heavy Cream
      1 12 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
      12 oz. (2 cups) Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
      6 cups Milk
      1 tsp. Vanilla

Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Heat on high to get it started and melt the chocolate. But then turn it to low so the milk doesn’t boil and curdle. Stir frequently, and especially before ladling into mugs. Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, or stir with a candy cane.

This has been a tradition with my daughter since 2004. We’ve made many variations of this versatile recipe. Devil’s Food with peanut butter chips, Yellow cake mix with Mini-chocolate chips, Pineapple mix with dried fruit and coconut, Strawberry Mix with Coconut, and the list goes on and on… We’ve been doing this recipe since my kids since they were 9 and 12. Here is the basic recipe I start with, add anything you want to make these cookies your own:

Basic Recipe for Cake Mix Cookies

1 package Cake Mix (any flavor)
      2 eggs
      ½ cup vegetable oil
      1 t. vanilla (optional – may use different flavorings or none at all)
      Add-Ins (nuts, chocolate &/or flavored chips,
      trail mix, etc…. – up t0 1-1/2 cups – OPTIONAL)

-Pre-heat oven to 325* F (275 – 300 F for Convection Oven)
      -In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, vanilla and Add-ins (if any).
      -Scoop (using a #40 scooper or tablespoon) small balls of dough and place on parchment or wax
      paper lined cookie sheets.
      -Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, turning 180* and rotating upper and lower pans on racks
      half way through baking process. Cookies are done when they are light brown on the
      bottom. (Dark cookie dough’s – i.e. Chocolate- are going to have to be checked
      by touch method – lightly test for done-ness, and “no shine” on top of cookie)

-Remove from oven, let cookie pans cool for 3 to 5 minute. Then slide paper, with
      cookies still on them, off the pan and let cookies continue to cool for another 10 to
      15 minute, or until they firm up. Remove from paper and place on a platter or store
      in an air-tight container. NOTE: 1) For lower fat and calories, Applesauce can be substituted for the oil,
      with no ill effects. 2) This recipe, and most variations, can be made
      into Bar Cookies. Add ½ cup brown or white sugar (your preference) and up to 1/3
      cup water to make to dough less stiff, spread into a greased 9×13” baking pan. Bake
      for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Merry Christmas Everyone and have a Blessed New Year !!

Lemon Ginger Apple Butter

Recipe type: Jams, Jellies, Preserves

Prep time: 40 mins

Cook time: 90 mins

Total time: 2 hours 10 mins

Serves: 4 & 1/2 pints

Ingredients
      •6 pounds of fresh apples
      •2 lemons
      •2 – 3 ounces fresh ginger root
      •½ cup water or apple cider
      •½ teaspoon salt
      •1 & ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
      •¾ teaspoon allspice
      •¼ teaspoon ground cloves
      •¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
      •1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
      •1 1/3 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
      •The juice of 1 lemon

Instructions
      1.Wash apples and cut into chunks. Place in a large [6-8 quart] heavy pot. Add the lemons, cut into eights. Peel ginger and chop roughly – you want ½ inch or so pieces – and add to the pot.
      2.Add the water and salt, cover the pot and simmer over medium heat until apples are completely mushy and soft. This will take around 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
      3.Run apples through a food mill, removing pieces of lemon peel as you encounter them.
      4.Rinse out the pot and return the apple puree to it. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, over low heat until very thick, stirring very often. Watch very carefully so it doesn’t burn.
      5.It will probably take an hour to 90 minutes, even a little longer if your apples had a lot of moisture to start with. To test it, keep a small plate in the freezer, and put a ½ teaspoon or so of the apple butter on the plate and wait about 30 seconds. No liquid should separate out – if it does, keep cooking and testing until the liquid no longer separates.
      6.To can, see the blog post for instructions.
      7.Will keep in the refrigerator for weeks – can be frozen as well.

@Budget101 386066 wrote:

Welcome to our Budget101.com Countdown to Christmas Challenge Day #4– Each day we’ll be bringing you a new challenge question and giving you the opportunity to win one (or all!) of our fantastic Giveaway Goodies.

Here’s how to Play:

1. Reply to this thread and answer the Budget101 Challenge Question listed below

Today’s Giveaway Goodie is: A Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press

It is not Christmas without my Peanut Brittle!

Cheese ball
      package of cream cheese
      slivered water chestnuts, small can, drained
      shredded cheddar cheese, 1-2 cups to taste, reserve 1/2 cup for topping
      envelope of ranch dressing mix

mix ingredients and roll into a ball. cover with cheese and serve with veggies or crackers,

We have to have Broccoli Casserole.

1 pkg chopped broccoli, thawed
      4 cups cooked rice
      1 jar Cheese Whiz

Mix all together in a casserole. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until slightly browned.

AndreaGwyn
      Participant

Cheery Cherry Bars

1 Pkg Yellow Cake Mix
      1 ¼ C. Rolled oats (divided)
      ½ C. Butter or margarine
      1 egg
      1 30 oz. Cherry pie filling
      (I use 2 cans, and drain the juices off of them)
      ½ C. Walnuts
      2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Oven 350° for 35 to 45 minutes.

Combine cake mix 6 Tbsp margarine + 1 C. rolled oats. Mix until crumbly with a mixer. Remove 1 C. crumbs for top. Add egg to mix in bowl and mix. Pat into well oiled 9 X 13 pan. Spread with Cherry pie filling. (I like to sprinkle cherries with a small amount of cinnamon.)

Topping
      1 Cup crumbs
      2 Tbsp margarine
      ¼ C. oats
      nuts and brown sugar

Mix and spread over cherries.
      (I usually sprinkle the crumb mixture with my hands trying to cover the cherries evenly)

Easy crescent Veggie Squares
      I love this recipe! It’s easy and so refreshing. It never lasts!

Servings: 24

Ingredients

• 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® Place ‘n Bake™ refrigerated crescent rounds or Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet

• 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
      • 1/2 ranch dressing

• 1teaspoon dried dill weed
      • 1/8teaspoon garlic powder

• 1/2cup small fresh broccoli florets, finely chopped
      • 1/3 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
      • 1bunch green onions, diced
      • 1/4cup shredded carrot

• *** I use my salad shredder * shred all the veggies except the green onion.

Directions

1Heat oven to 375°F.

2 If using crescent rolls: Unroll both cans of dough; separate dough into 4 long rectangles. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust. If using dough sheets: Unroll both cans of dough. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust.

3 Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

4 In small bowl, mix cream cheese, ranch dressing, dill and garlic powder until smooth. Spread over crust. mix veggies together, and spread over crust. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before serving. Cut into squares.

Our family tradition is Bethal Bars (no idea why they’re called that) but they’re the yummiest cookie ever!
      10-12 graham crackers – crushed
      1 package chocolate chips
      1 package butterscotch chips
      1 cup shredded coconut
      1 can evaporated milk
      1 stick of butter

Melt the butter in a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the cracker crumbs, then chocolate chips, then butterscotch chips, then coconut, then drizzle evaporated milk over the whole thing. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Delicious!

I have to make Oreo truffles every Christmas.
      1pkg of Oreos
      1 brick of cream cheese (not low fat), softened
      White almond bark

Instructions
      Place Oreos in a bag and take out your holiday frustrations as you crush them to crumbs. Alternately crush in a food processor until a fine powder. Cut up softened cream cheese into cubes and mix into crumbs. Mix by hand until one big ball forms. Form into balls (size is up to you-walnut size is bite sized). Place on waxed paper or parchment paper. I usually refrigerate these for a little bit to firm them up. Next melt almond bark. Dip truffles and allow to harden. I usually dip them again as they taste better this way, but that is up to you. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
      If not eaten in 24 hours refrigerate.
      Makes 4-6 dozen depending on the size if the balls.

our Favorite recipe for Christmas breakfast is Chocolate pudding and biscuit.
      1/2 c.to 3/4 c. sugar
      1/3 c cocoa
      pinch of salt
      3 1/2 T cornstarch
      1 egg
      2 to 3 c. milk
      mix driy ingredients in saucepan
      add egg and mix, thne mix in milk cook on medium heat, till thickens to gravy like. Use your favorite home made biscuits or canned biscuits
      LindaK

This is the candy recipe we make every year.

Quick Fruit and Nut Fudge

1 lb. semisweet chocolate, chopped
      1 300-ml can sweetened condensed milk (or homemade equivalent)
      1 tsp. vanilla
      1 cup dried cranberries or raisins or other dried fruit
      1 cup chopped toasted pecans or other nuts (optional)

In bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with milk, stirring frequently until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Stir in fruit and nuts, if using.

Pour into foil-lined 8-inch square cake pan; smooth top. Chill for about 3 hours or until firm.

Turn out onto cutting board; peel off foil. Cut into squares. (Make-ahead: layer between waxed paper in airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.) Makes 64 pieces.

(Canadian Living, December 1999)

Peppermint Bark

12 candy canes
      2 lbs. White candy coating
      1/2 tsp. Peppermint extract

using a double boiler melt candy coating
      crush candy canes in a sealable, gallon baggie
      once candy coating is melted add crushed candy canes and extract
      stir until mixed well
      poor mixture onto parchment covered cookie sheet
      set in refrigerator or out in the cold until hard
      break into pieces and store in an airtight container

My favorite recipe is healthy homemade pancakes. 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp super seeds, some chocolate chips and use 1/4 of a cup per pancake. serve with sugarfree syrup. delious and nutritous. 32 calories a panacake.

What 1 recipe do I have to have for Christmas?
      We ALWAYS have Nanny Maurer’s Fruit Salad! Nanny passed away over 40 years ago and yet Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas for our family with Nanny’s Fruit Salad.

Nanny’s Fruit Salad

1 8oz package of cream cheese softened
      1 small tub of cool whip non dairy topping thawed
      4 16oz cans of chunk pineapple in juice, drained reserving juice
      or 4 16oz cans of fruit cocktail in juice, drained reserving juice
      2 16oz cans of mandarins oranges, drained reserving juice
      4 bananas, sliced & put in reserved juice to coat then drained

In large bowl cream together cream cheese and cool whip until completely smooth. Gently fold in canned & drained pineapple & oranges until coated. Gently fold in well drained bananas. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until well chilled.
      Enjoy with family and friends!

Dad’s cornmeal cookies. I don’t know how he makes them, but they are wonderful. The cookies are made with corn meal and dried cranberries, ither than that it’s a secret. LOL, that’s ok as long as he keeps making them.

Our favorite is Wassail, and chocolate covered pretzels

@Budget101 386066 wrote:

Here’s how to Play:

Crustless Quiche

Crustless Quiche
      Wednesday, November 23, 2011
      6:36 PM
      6 eggs
      6 oz cream cheese
      2 c cottage cheese
      1/2 c butter
      1/2 c flour
      1 t baking powder
      1/2 t salt
      pepper to taste
      1 c milk
      2 c grated cheddar
      1 c crumbled bacon, ham, shrimp or crab
      4 T chopped green onions
      1/2 c sliced mushrooms

grease 9×13 pan, oven to 350. Beat eggs. add cream cheese, cottage cheese, and butter, beat til smooth. combine dry ing in other bowl then stir into eggs until thoroughly blended. beat in milk, pour in pan Sprinkle with cheese meat onions and mushrooms and bake until set in middle at least 40 minutx es

Cranberry Relish
      1, 12 ounce package cranberries
      1 orange
      1cup sugar

Wash and sort cranberries. Wash orange and cut into small pieces. Grind up the cranberries and orange in food processor.. Add sugar and mix well.

Serve with turkey or any preferred meat. Keeps well for several days so it may be made ahead of time.

@Budget101 386066 wrote:

Here’s how to Play:

The one thing I make every year at Christmas time is my dad’s homemade yeast cinnamon rolls. They make the house smell amazing and are soooooooooo good!!

I don’t have one. 🙁

Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press

Our Christmas Day Only recipe my family expects is Pull Apart Monkey Bread!

1/2 c sugar
      1 tsp ground cinnamon
      2 cans Pillsbury Grands Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
      1 c packed brown sugar
      3/4 c melted butter

Heat over to 350 degrees.
      Spray oil on 12-cup fluted tube pan.
      In large zip-lock bag, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon.
      Separate dough into 16 buscuits, cut each into quarters.
      Shake in bag to coat.
      Arrange in pan.
      In small bowl, mix brown sugar and butter; pour over biscuit pieces.
      Bake 28-32 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in center.
      Cool in pan 10 minutes.
      Turn upside down onto serving plate.
      Pull apart to serve…serve warm…may drizzle frosting over all!

Prep time 25 minutes, Total time 1.05 hours, Makes 12 servings…or less

Hot artichoke & Spinach dip….my favorite. So sinful, only eat it a couple of times a year.

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
      softened
      1/4 cup mayonnaise
      1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
      1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
      1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
      1/2 teaspoon dried basil
      1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
      salt and pepper to taste
      1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts,
      drained and chopped
      1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
      and drained
      1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
      Directions:
      1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a small baking dish. 2. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, garlic, basil, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Gently stir in artichoke hearts and spinach. 3. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.

It’s really NOT christmas unless you have Cranberry Eggnog Cornbread Scones! :xmas:

2 cups all-purpose flour
      1/2 cup cornmeal
      1/3 cup white sugar
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/3 cup butter, chilled
      3/4 cup craisins (sweetened, dried cranberries)
      2/3 cup eggnog
      Preheat the oven to 375

Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl until blended and cut in the butter until the mix resembles crumbs. Add craisins, using a fork add in the eggnog to make a sticky dough. Flip it over on a floured surface and knead gently about 8-10 times.Pat the dough down til its about 3/4″ thick and cut them out. I just usually use a sharp knife and make them into squares or triangles. Bake about 15-17 minutes

Drizzle them with glaze while they’re still warm (glaze is a bit of powdered sugar & milk) Btw, the eggnog flavor is VERY light so if you’re looking for a traditional heavy eggnog taste, you wont get that in these. Sorry!

We’ve had these for years and they’re not overly sweet, but have a nice light texture.

Christmas Fudge! Its quick and the easiest fudge you will ever make.
      1 can sweet condensed milk
      1 bag chocolate chips
      3 cups mini marshmallows
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      1/2 cup nuts

Prepare a 9″cake pan by lining with foil and butter foil well
      Combine 1st three ingredients put in microwave until marshmallow is melty and chocolate chips are soft. Here’s the hard part, STIR, and stir and stir until ingredients are fully incorporated. Mix in vanilla ad nuts. Pour into prepared pan and cool. Remove from pan and cut into chunks. Put in fridge to cool if you are in a hurry. This fudge freezes very well

I make, believe it or not, Banana Pudding every holiday for my friends, family and co-workers

Banana Pudding
      Mix together 1 can condensed milk with 1 1/2 cups water. Stir in 1 box of vanilla pudding. Chill for 5 minutes or until thick. Fold in 1 tub Cool Whip Extra Creamy.
      Slice banana’s and dip in lemon juice to prevent browning. I use approx. 5 to 8 banana’s depending on size. You will also need vanilla wafers.
      To assemble layer cookies, banana’s, pudding mixture … cookies, banana’s, pudding mixture and end with pudding. Chill until ready to eat.
      We also love to freeze some, banana pudding is great frozen.

My pumpkin cheesecake. Every year I make this cheesecake and everyone loves it! It’s the perfect mix between pumpkin and cheesecake. I got my recipe from my Treasury of TOP Secret Recipes. I love making this cheesecake despite the crack that always happens. I really could care less about this I care more for the ohh’s and ahh’s I get from it when people try it.

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
      5 Tbsp. butter, melted
      1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar
      3 80z. pkg. of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
      1 tsp. vanilla
      1 cup pumpkin puree (see my note in the pumpkin pie recipe)
      3 eggs
      1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350. Make the crust by combining the first 3 ingredients, stirring well enough to coat all the crumbs with butter. Press the crumbs onto the bottom of a springform pan. Bake the crust for 5 min.

In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Mix with an elevtric mixer until smooth. Add the pumpkin, egges and pumpkin pie spice and continue to beat until smooth and creamy. Pour batter into the pan. Bake for 60-70 min. The top will be a bit darker at this point. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool. When the cake has come to room temp. place in the fridge. Serve with whipped topping or some other kind of topping.

Enjoy!

Filipino Lumpia Recipe copied from All recipes.com

Ingredients:
      1 tablespoon vegetable oil
      1 pound ground pork
      2 cloves garlic, crushed
      1/2 cup chopped onion
      1/2 cup minced carrots
      1/2 cup chopped green onions
      1/2 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
      1 teaspoon ground black pepper
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      1 teaspoon soy sauce
      30 lumpia wrappers
      2 cups vegetable oil for frying
      Directions:

Place a wok or large skillet over high heat, and pour in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Cook pork, stirring frequently, until no pink is showing. Remove pork from pan and set aside. Drain grease from pan, leaving a thin coating. Cook garlic and onion in the same pan for 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked pork, carrots, green onions, and cabbage. Season with pepper, salt, garlic powder, and soy sauce. Remove from heat, and set aside until cool enough to handle.
      Place three heaping tablespoons of the filling diagonally near one corner of each wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2 inch space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the filling, tuck in both ends, and roll neatly. Keep the roll tight as you assemble. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal the edge. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap to retain moisture.
      Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat, add oil to 1/2 inch depth, and heat for 5 minutes. Slide 3 or 4 lumpia into the oil. Fry the rolls for 1 to 2 minutes, until all sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.

This was ALWAYS on the table with Christmas dinner 🙂 Wanting some now 🙂

New York Cheese Cake:
      I got this great recipe during my divorce.
      400 degree oven
      6-8 min.
      Crust:
      3/4 Cup Flour
      1/4 Cup Sugar
      1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Peel
      1Teaspoon Vanilla
      1/4 Cup softened butter
      1 Egg Yoke

500 Degree Oven for 10 min.
      250 Degree Oven for One Hour

Filling:
      5 8oz Pkgs. Cream Cheese
      1/2 Cup Whipping Cream
      1 3/4 Cup Sugar
      3 Tablespoons Flour
      1Teaspoon Lemon Rind
      2 Teaspoons Vanilla
      2 Teaspoons Orange Rind
      6 Eggs
      Enjoy ! Merry Christmas !

Grandma’s banana bread
      1 3/4 cups flour
      2/3 cup packed brown sugar
      1/3 cup shortening
      2 eggs
      1/4 tsp baking soda
      1/2 tsp salt
      nuts if desired

No holiday is complete without my Grandmother’s famous Gypsy Eggs.

Ingredients:

12 eggs
      1 large onion (diced)
      1lb ham (diced)
      4 medium potatoes (diced)
      1/2lb shredded colby long horn cheese
      salt & pepper
      1 Tbsp Hot Sauce + exta to serve with
      Olive Oil
      Directions:

1. In a large skillet on medium heat put down some oil and add your potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 5-7 min one the first side until brown than flip/stir them around and add your onions and ham.
      2. Take a large bowl and crack all eggs add salt and pepper (about a Tbsp of each) and the hot sauce. Add this to the skillet once the potatoes are tender and browned evenly and cover.
      3. Stir around every few minutes so the eggs cook evenly. Once the eggs are firm, turn off the heat and sprinkle the cheese on evenly, cover, and let sit until the cheese is melted.
      4. Serve family style with hot sauce on the table. It makes enough to feed the family.

Liss
      Keymaster

:party1: Congratulations to FreeKingOut, our randomly selected Goodie Giveaway recipient!

Stay tuned for our next Countdown Question for your chance to play again! We hope you enjoy your Cuisinart Griddler/Grill/Panini Press!

:madsanta:

@Budget101 386066 wrote:

What one recipe do you HAVE TO HAVE every year? Share your favorite Christmastime Recipe- it can be for breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizer, dessert etc. [/B]!

My CHRISTMAS TIME MUST HAVE is 2 minute fudge! It’s soo easy and soo yummy, and the variety options are ENDLESS.

1 can of frosting
      1 bag of chocolate chips (or any kind of baking chips)

Melt chocolate in microwave using 30 second increments until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth, add in can of frosting and still till fully incorporated. Pour mixture into a 8 X 8 square pan that has been lined with foil that has been greased, refrigerate for 2 hours or over night. Remove from pan and foil, cut up and ENJOY!

Mint Patties- we always include them for color on our cookie plates!
      No-Cook Mint Patties

Yield: 72 patties

1/3 C light corn syrup
      ¼ C butter- softened (not margarine!)
      1 tsp. Peppermint/other extract
      ½ tsp. Salt
      1 lb. Box 10X sugar-sifted (3 ¾ C)
      Food coloring

Blend corn syrup, butter, extract, and salt. (Use a wooden spoon). Add sugar; mix with spoon and hands until smooth. Add 4-5 drops food color for 8 vibrant color shades (+ white). Divide into 72 portions and shape into small balls. Flatten with a fork on wax paper-lined baking sheets. Let dry several hours or overnight.

I have to make Divinity. Only time of the year I make it. And the Grandkids (and grandpa) love it.

BACON WRAPPED SMOKIES WITH BROWN SUGAR AND BUTTER

1 pound Bacon, Cut Into Thirds
      1 pound Lil’ Smokies (small sausages)
      1 stick Butter
      2 cups Brown Sugar

Preheat oven to 375F.
      Cut the bacon into thirds and wrap each smokie.(small sausage)
      Place all the wrapped smokies in a single layer in a baking dish.
      Then melt the stick of butter and then 1 cup of brown sugar and stir until mixed well.
      Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture on the smokies and bacon.
      Then take the other cup of brown sugar and sprinkle evenly over the smokies.
      Bake them for about 15-20 minutes and then turn the heat up to 400F for about 5 minutes or longer until the bacon becomes crispy.

Viewing 56 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Holidays & Special Occasions Christmas-Yule-hanukkah-Kwanzaa-Winter Solstice Countdown to Christmas Day #4 (2 days left!!)