- January 7, 2009 at 11:50 pm #268953
Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
* 3 quarts water, Bring it to a boil in a Lg Stockpot
Add the Following:
* 3-4 lbs cut up chicken leg quarters, skin removed
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 small sliced onion
* 2 stalks celery, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
* 1 bay leaf
* 4-6 whole fresh parsley leaves
Let it simmer on low for about 2 hours.
Remove the chicken from the stock and place in a bowl. Strain stock, reserving the strained stock only and then add:
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Return the stock to the stovetop over medium heat, add the dumplings:
In a small bowl combine the following to make a soft dough:
* 2 cups flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/8 cups milk
The dough needs to rest 10 minutes before rolling, then roll them out like you would biscuits, about 1/2″ thick.
Cut the dough into manageable pieces, circles, squares, whatever you want and slide them into the simmering stock.
Cook for 24-30 minutes. While the dumplings are cooking, shred the cooked chicken meat. near the end, carefully at the chicken meat to the pot, stir and serve.
- August 16, 2013 at 4:30 pm #442540
I’m so grateful to find this recipe! My husbands always gripen about my chicken and dumplins and always references Craker Barrels… Im gonna knock him outta the water with this!
- March 5, 2014 at 9:01 pm #452040
Just had this at Cracker Barrel Monday. I will try this as it the way my husbands Mother made dumplings.
- March 9, 2014 at 2:39 am #452133
I haven’t been to Cracker Barrel for a long time but this sounds delicious. I’ve been looking for some creative ways to use chicken.
Can’t wait to make it.
- September 17, 2014 at 4:49 am #458606
Not even close to how Cracker Barrel makes there ckn and dumplins
- September 17, 2014 at 11:22 am #458611
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.