Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    • #261725

      Is there a university near you? My child was given extensive testing by a team of Dr’s at the local university’s teaching facility. He has adhd.
      the charges were nominal , practically free for several weeks of visits.

      we saw a psychologist, psychiatristand neurologist.
      we had all the test that were available including cat scans.
      it’s worth looking into.


      original message
      from: maria
      Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:55 PM
      Subject: Re: : confuddled

      i do appreciate the help! if you only knew what i have been through with the schools and the doctors for that matter.he was dxed at the age of 5 by the school with adhd.trying to get a doctor to do any thing without a schools follow up is almost impossible! i have gone to a developmental center in hopes that they would listen and see what i saw but all most of the doctors here do is look at what tesing the school has done and agree with them!

      my son is dxed with being disabled due to kidney damage(he has to use catherthers every 4 hours) also I was told he has mild adhd with autistic tendencies,he is not medicated,he also has learning disablities,he was taking speech and ot in 4th grade but no one has meationed him having it in 5th and is also developly delayed.
      While my son was in 4th grade, I wanted to transfer him to another school and the principal there told me they didn’t have the staff for my son to go to that school and he called the head of the special ed and asked if he was suitable for the self contained class,and the head told him that she didnt think my son was that severe to be in that type of class.

      So he couldn’t go to that school,I was under the impression that he was in resource classroom all this time and was going to regular classes in both 4th and 5th grade,I don’t think he should be in the SLC room but I don’t think he should be fully mainstreamed either. I just don’t know if there is anyother options of classes he can go into. I have contacted Lynley Summers as my advocate,but nothing was changed 4except the cars test was given to him and what gets me about the test is that the school part he didn’t show any Autistic tendinces but at home he scored high!

      I do see alot of ADHD and I agree witht he Developmenatl center that he does have autistic tendencies,but I don’t agree with the placement,for I think it can hinder him instead of bringing out the best in him,to this day I still have not found out what he is good at or in. I don’t want him to slip though the cracks,but I have no idea if there is anyone who cares enough to listen to me and help me do something about it.

      dash wrote:

      I think a lot of things. First of all you as his mother is the chief of the individual educational plan or iep. you have a major voice in it.

      you should know all the answers you don’t know. you also have the right to reconvene the iep meeting to tweak the program if you are not happy with it.

      Secondly….. you need to get an independent diagnosis of what is wrong with you child.

      take him somewhere and get him tested independently from the school. if you can’t afford it, and you request it, the school must pay for it, but they will squeal like stuck pigs….. so you are best off to do it yourself.

      speech and language testing for expressive and receptive language and comprehension skills are a must to enter into the iep with. sounds like shades of autism you are dealing with … with the hearing sensitivity and the problems with transitions.

      Thirdly, if your child is autistic or in the autism spectrum it is imperative that he is with well mannered kids because he will mimic what he sees, and hears.

      You must get some help here.

      As for what they call the rooms, you need to find out from the school as they can name them what they want I think.

      You have three things to do….

      get it into your head that you are the boss of your kid….get him tested independently and find out what and who and what kind of disabilities are going to be with him in whatever room he is in.

      The laws are all stating that he must be in the least restrictive environment so .. that is something for you to remember… I hope this helps..dash

      Does anyone know what the diffrence is between “resource class”
      and “structured learning class”.

      how I feel about my son being
      in this class as I don’t want his self esteem to be damaged because
      he thinks something is wrong with him nor do I think he is capeable
      of being totally “mainsteamed” into regular 5th grade classes,which
      brings me on to another point,he will be going to some regular classes
      (such as art,music,and heath)

      I also went to visit these clases and
      none of the teachers were aware that my son was going to be in their
      classes and that he was in a “Structured Learning Class”,How do they
      manage this?Do they just put a child who doesn’t know any diffrent
      then “resource class” and let him fend for his self until he shuts
      down or misbeaves?

      My son has trouble with loud noised and
      transitions and

      I don’t know if he can keep up with a regular
      class,most kids go in and take a seat and follow what the teacher
      tells them to do,weather it is to read a chapter and answer the
      questions at the end,or read out loud,or copy notes,I don’t think my
      son can do this alone,his reading is at a 3/4th grade level,he
      doesn’t understand what he is being told all the time and i know if
      he feels its too much or pressured,he will shut down or misbehave. I
      know is heath theyt will require alot of note taking and reading. I
      feel like they are setting him up to fail on his own
      . I don’t know I
      just figure they should help him out if he is going to be in
      a ‘mainstream class’or atleast let the teachers know so they can help
      him out in some way.What do you all think?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.