college tuitition was Re: Children of the 21st century

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List college tuitition was Re: Children of the 21st century

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I hope I can shed some light on this…..since
      I was in the same situation for MYSELF, and have 3 kids as well.

–due to my husband’s illness, I decided
      going to school for myself was to my best interest, if something ever happened,
      then I can take care of my family.

As an undergrad (for a BA/BS), there are pell
      grants,loans of various types (Stafford, subsidized, unsubsidized), as well as BOG waivers.

In the state of CA, if your girls plan to
      go to a JUNIOR COLLEGE, then you can apply for a Board of Governor’s
      Grant.

As a lower income family (limits vary for
      various state programs,etc), the BOG waiver can be used to pay for all tuition
      costs, EXCLUDING

Books and parking permit. They do not tell
      you much about this, let alone advertise that it can be used at more than one school
      at one time, by the same student. For example, I was attending University of La Verne(CA) and I was told I needed
      24 additional units in various areas. So, while I attended my core classes for
      my degree that were only offered at my university, I attended 2 additional
      junior colleges at the same time (as the university) and applied for the BOG
      waiver at both colleges and didn’t have to worry about tuition. (these
      can be taken as online, hybrid, on campus classes—all receive same credit
      and were transferable to go towards my BS in Organizational Mgmt degree. When
      you get to grad school, however (which I am now in and will graduate in May
      with my Masters Degree), then it is all loans. Food for thought, if you work at
      the college or university, you can also receive free tuition for your children
      as well, which I hope to do….teach/work where they attend.

Hope this helps. Any more Qs ,just ask. ~trina~
      12.0pt;color:._,___

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List college tuitition was Re: Children of the 21st century