- February 24, 2009 at 2:31 am #270971
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
21/3 cups boiling water
21/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
11/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened
21/3 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract frosting
8 oz white chocolate, melted as pkg directs, cooled to room temperature
31/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
6 oz cream cheese, softened
5 Tbsp stick butter, softened
11/2 Tbsp lemon juice
Garnish: Chocolate Curls (see directions)
Position racks to divide oven in thirds. Heat to 350°F. Coat three 9-in.
or 8 x 2-in. round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line bottoms with wax paper.
2. Stir cocoa and boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth; let cool.
3. Meanwhile mix next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat next 4 ingredients with mixer on high speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Add cool cocoa; beat until blended. Scrape bowl. On low speed, beat in flour mixture just to blend, scraping bowl once.
Spoon into prepared pans; smooth surfaces. Stagger pans on oven racks.
4. Bake 24 to 31 minutes (depending on pan size) until a wooden pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes.
Run knife around edges; invert on rack, remove paper and cool completely.
5. Frosting: Beat ingredients on low speed to blend. Increase speed to high; beat 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
6. To assemble: Place 1 cake layer on serving plate, bottom side up. Spread with 1/3 the Frosting.
Repeat with remaining layers, swirling frosting on top. Garnish with Chocolate Curls.
Chocolate Curls Line mini loaf pan or make a 31/2 x 2 x 11/4-in. pan with a double thickness foil. Melt 4 oz white chocolate, pour into pan; chill until firm.
Peel off foil. Soften at room temperature 30 minutes. Pull a swivel-blade vegetable peeler along side of bar to form curls (if curls break, soften chocolate more).
Repeat with 4 oz milk chocolate.
- February 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm #415879
This sounds so good! I will definately give this one a try after Lent 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.