Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Chili Beef Sandwich

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

:!:when roasts go on sale, buy a larger one than usual and cut off about 1 lb and save for this recipe.
      Chili Beef Sandwich
      1 lb beef, cut as you would for stir-fry…in strips
      1 1/2 tbs chili powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      1 tbs vegetable oil
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      1 tbs hot sauce (use chipotle if you have it)
      4 sandwich buns
      2 cups lettuce (make it fancy and use watercress;->)
      4 lime wedges, if desired (or use concentrate)
      In large bowl, toss beef with chili powder and salt.

Heat large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add oil. Heat until hot.

Add beef. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until inside is pink and beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and hot sauce.

Toast sandwich buns. Spread both sides of sandwich buns with mayonnaise mixture. Divide beef among buns.

Top with lettuce. Serve with lime wedge to squeeze over beef, if desired.

Mos, you just reminded me, I am going to dig a roast out of my freezer and do it in my crockpot for french dip sandwiches. Yum! I am also going to use your great idea.

This sandwich sounds delicious!!
      Shelly:106:

Participant

oh I hope that you enjoy it! so many people think that they can only buy a roast and only cook it as a roast. it’s a big chunck of meat! lol!

cut it yourself and make what you want;-) here’s a tip…if your dh or so likes sports and wants to have the friends over, this is what you serve up for dinner for all of you! they’ll think that you’re a genius and i’ll never tell;-)

We use roasts and round steak for many things. We like to cut either one into strips and marinate for fajitas. Cut into cubes for stew.

Cook as a roast and shred – mix with barbeque sauce for sandwiches. We’ve even had the butcher at the supermarket grind roasts and round steak into hamburger when the price warranted it.

A use for leftover roast – shred and mix with cooked cubed potatos and heat in a skillet on low to medium. Top with brown gravy and serve with a side veggie – yum!

@mos 15400 wrote:

oh I hope that you enjoy it! so many people think that they can only buy a roast and only cook it as a roast. it’s a big chunck of meat! lol!

cut it yourself and make what you want;-) here’s a tip…if your dh or so likes sports and wants to have the friends over, this is what you serve up for dinner for all of you! they’ll think that you’re a genius and i’ll never tell;-)

Participant

ooh, sounds like a roast beef hash type of meal! yum!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Chili Beef Sandwich