• Author

2 cups flour
      3 tbsp. baking powder
      1 cup whole milk
      2 tsp. lard or Crisco
      1 egg beaten
      1 tsp. salt
      1 chicken

Boil a quartered chicken until the bones can be removed easily. Mix up dumplin’ dough ingredients and spoon into boiling chicken pot. Cover pot and shift to cooler eye. Let cool 20 min. and serve.

Lynn, Have you ever tried adding a table spoon of chicken base to your dumpling mix ? This really does give a good flavor to the dumplings.

Naw…aint thought about that either….might wanna try that 🙂

When my Father was alive I gave him this recipe and he just raved about it..

Bless his heart….I hope he enjoyed it well!!

my MIL makes a recipe that seems very similar to this. The only difference I can see is that she rolls out the dough and cuts it into strips.

I love it. Great comfort food.

Shannon

Strips huh? They dont come out doughy do they?

@faxonfive 98920 wrote:

Strips huh? They dont come out doughy do they?

They do, but in a Cracker Barrel type of way. It is actually very close to Cracker Barrel’s dish.

Be warned, when I tried to make it (years ago) I completely messed it up and it was like eating dough. But I did it wrong. I haven’t tried it since, but now that my cooking skills have increased, I am going to try it soon. As soon as a chicken goes on sale.

Shannon

I used to work at cracker barrel…and they have the BEST chicken and dumplings !!! and country fried steak too!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Chicken and Dumplin’s