- This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated November 4, 2008 at 1:41 am by .
- November 1, 2008 at 9:59 pm #265668rtebalt
Cherry-Nut Bread (this is a beautiful holiday bread)
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup shortening
• 1 cup butter milk
• 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
• 3 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped and drained
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of loaf pan. Beat all ingredients except maraschino cherries in large bowl on low speed 15 seconds. Beat on medium speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Stir in maraschino cherries. Pour into pan. Bake 70 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Immediately loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan. Cool complete on wire rack before slicing. Garnish top of loaf with maraschino cherries and sliced green candied pineapple if desired. For best results, wrap refrigerate at least 8 hours before slicing.
- November 2, 2008 at 11:57 pm #402396cnique26
What kind of taste does this have, sweet, strong, fruitcakish, or even kind of like banana nut bread but a cherry taste instead? Thanks, Crystal
- November 3, 2008 at 12:23 am #402399rtebaltActually, I haven’t made this yet. I found it while looking for recipes to make at Christmas, so I thought I’d share them with the group. Sorry.
- November 4, 2008 at 12:01 am #402533faxonfive
The ingredients look like this woudl be very colorful for Christmas too…YUM!!
- November 4, 2008 at 1:41 am #402549JoAnn
rtebalt, When I was growing up, when we made certain breads or fruitcakes for the holidays, we would bake these in cans. With the lenght of time on this recipe that’s what reminded me of this.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.