Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Cheap Chinese Dinner

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I came up with a cheap dinner the other night, using only what I had on hand. It turned out great, and the family has said it is a keeper.

Ingredients:
      4 cups hot cooked rice
      2 pork chops, cut into 1/2″ cubes
      1Tbl. cooking oil
      3 C cabbage, cut into 1/2″ pieces
      1 medium onion, chopped
      1 bell pepper, chopped
      1 C grape jelly
      2 Tbls. soy sauce
      2 TBls. malt vinegar
      1 Tbl. corn starch
      salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

In large skillet, heat oil. Meanwhile, season pork chop cubes with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When oil is good and hot, toss in pork and let cook for about 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Then toss in pepper, onion, and cabbage. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp. Meanwhile, in microwave safe bowl, combine jelly, soy sauce, and malt vinegar. Heat until jelly is melted and mix well. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside, leaving juices in skillet. Add cornstarch to jelly mixture and whisk until mixed. Add jelly mixture to juices in skillet and cook and stir constantly over high heat until mixture thickens. Then return to low heat. Return pork-veggie mixture to skillet and mix thoroughly with sauce. Serve over hot cooked rice, with soy sauce and hot sauce on the side. Feeds 4 hungry folks. Enjoy!

Sounds very delicious… I am going to try this the next time hubby comes home. Thanks for sharing!

dct9000
      Participant

Thanks, I’m always looking for new ways to cook pork.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Cheap Chinese Dinner