Cheap but Good Breakfast for about 21?

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas Cheap but Good Breakfast for about 21?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jsquared

Hi Everyone!

My family from all over the country is converging on my grandparents house for thanksgiving.
      Since there will be about 21 adults we are all pitching in to help with food.

I’m going to make pumpkin rolls for desert on Thanksgiving but I’d like to help my grandma by handling breakfast one morning.

My husband and I are pretty stretched just to make the drive there so any budget friendly ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

:help:

I should probably also mention that they are an hour from the closest store or restaurant so there’s no running out for doughnuts. =0)

Jsquared

Thanks for the move!

jaime

You may want to try a strata. Here’s a good recipe, just be sure to make it the day before.

Ingredients:
      8-10 slices bread
      Margarine (to spread bread with)
      2 c. diced ham, sausage, or bacon
      2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
      8 eggs
      1 1/2 c. milk
      1 tsp. dry mustard
      dash salt
      2 c. corn flakes
      1/2 stick butter, melted

Directions:

In a 9×13 greased pan, lay out 8-10 slices of bread, butter one side and place buttered side down on pan. Spread evenly with diced ham, sausage, or bacon. Sprinkle cheddar cheese.

In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, dry mustard and salt together until combined. Pour egg mixture over the bread, meat, cheese in dish. Sprinkle cornflakes evenly over strata then pour melted butter on top. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night. Bake 1 hour at 350.

trekglo

Probably with so many people, you should consider several casserole type options. I think the more individualized the servings, the more people tend to eat. But, when served from a caserole type, I think people tend to eat less. Not a universal, but just an observation.
      Might look for casseroles that use potatoes, with eggs, cheese and some sort of meat–sausage or bacon or ham. Might want one that is more vegeterian. Perhaps one with some sort of creamy gravy, one more spicy, and another just “plain.” Most of these you should be able to make the night before, or at least assemble most ingredients and put the last bits on just before preparing. I’d also recomend a variety of breads for toast to accopany, and maybe a fruit bowl of mixed items, again prepared and not served individually. Add some ceral for those who don’t care for a casserole, and juice, milk, coffee, tea, with butter, jam, etc. I think you can get more milage from eggs this way, then if cooking to order. Same with say potatoes and the meat. When placed on the plate as individual items people tend to like the whole plate filled.
      Also, not necessarily cheap, but a traditional English Breakfast includes; eggs, usually fried, sausage, grilled tomatoes, baked beans just heated from the can, sauted mushrooms, and toast. Sometimes there is more than one meat type. But, again, with individual servings of each item, I think you’ll use and ultimately waste more.
      Plus doing multiple items cooked just before serving for 21 people will take a lot of time and energy. Whereas preparing several casseroles which can be baked at the same time, means almost everyone can sit down and eat together, or even in shifts if necessary.
      A cold buffett of say a good ham sliced, cheeses sliced, a fruit salad, with toast or other bread would also be easy to prepare, do everything the night before and simply place for people to take what they wanted. Might have several varieties of breads/rolls.
      Not sure if this will help or not.
      Good luck,
      Gloria

carlitasway

If you have a day old bread store or 99 cent only store close you could pick up some bagels and spread with various cream cheeses. Hash brown casserole and french toast casserole could work if you go for the casserole routs and they can be prepped the night before.

carlitasway

Also, you could make several breads like pumpkin bread, banana bread and apple bread. Those are very cheap to make.

Eshuman

Try pancakes, waffles, or french toast. These are relatively inexpensive to make.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas Cheap but Good Breakfast for about 21?