charging an adult child rent

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List charging an adult child rent

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

When I lived at home my grandfather charged me $50 a week. Of course he was supporting a whole household on just his social security check. I would take into consideration wether or not this money is really needed for the household.

If I didn’t need the rent money to support the house. I would require them to pay their own cell phone bill and and their own car expenses. I would require them to be putting a certain amount away each week so that when they do strike out on their own they had a nest egg.

Maybe start them on the 10, 10, 80. Now. So when they are on their own they have developed the habbit.

I have an 18 year old son. He does not live with me but it trying very hard to put himself through college. He is staying with relatives near his campus.

He is working three part time jobs which he walks to. He has no car or license yet. I try to send him whatever help I can.

He knows we are struggling ourselves which is why he works so hard to not be a burden on the family. I probably wouldn’t have handed him a college education on a silver platter even if we could have afforded it. But I wouldlove to make his life just a little bit easier.

I try to send him care packages of toiletries and snacks and things. Anything that he doesn’t have to buy for himself puts a little more money in his pocket.

Tracy in va

emailing for the greater good
      join me
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List charging an adult child rent