- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated October 19, 2008 at 12:59 pm by .
- October 19, 2008 at 12:59 pm #264890
1 1/2 packages active dry yeast (about 4 TSP)
2 cups warm water, divided
3 tbs honey
2 tbs safflower oil
2 cups whole-wheat flour
3 1/2 TO 4 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (or 2 eggs, beaten)
poppy or sesame seeds for topping
1. in a small bowl, combine yeast with 1/2 cup water. let stand for 5 TO 10 min, or until completely dissolved.
stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups water, honey and oil.
2. combine whole-wheat flour, 3 1/2 cups white flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. make a well in the center and pour in yeast mixture and egg substitute or eggs.
mix first with a wooden spoon, then with hands, adding enough of remaining 1/2 cup white flour, until dough is no longer sticky.
4. turn out dough onto well-floured surface. knead for 8 TO 10 min or until smooth.
place in a floured bowl, cover with clean dishtowel and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 HRS.
5. punch down dough and divide in half. to braid dough, divide each half into thirds and make six long strands, about 1 1/2″ in diameter.
attach three strands at one end by pinching them together.
6. braid the strands, then pinch together at the other end. place loaves on a lightly floured baking sheet and let rise a second time in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30 MIN.*
preheat oven to 350°. brush tops of braids with egg white and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. bake for 45 min, or until tops are golden and the loaves sound hollow when tapped.
cool on rack before serving.
*or form into to loaves and place in slightly greased loaf pans.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.