Budget101 Discussion List Archives Product Opinions & Questions can opener issue – am i really the only one?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by oldtimer3 January 4, 2014 at 2:43 pm.

• Author

for several years now i have had quailty issues with can openers. i have purchased the following: (none have lasted more than 6MNTHS to a yr)

1. kitchen aid ($50) – the one that attatches to the mixer. all it did after awhile was push the can out

2. hamilton beach electric ($20) – yep blade dulled then it started twisting the cans instead of cutting

3. three dollar dollar gen special ($5) – hand twist – last like a month enough said never cut one in one spin ever

4. kitchen aid ($20) -hand twist – lasted app. one year blade dulled no longer cut all the way around instead it pushed the lid down inside and resulted in various barbaric attempts on my behalf to open the can — called the company for new blades – they said sorry no blade replacements and sent me a whole new opener cause i was furiousover the mixer attatchment one and now the hand crank —ROAR — the new hand crank lasted app 1yr

i have tried finding replacement blades. no luck i have tried many brands and price ranges. no luck

does anyone else have this problem?

what do you people use? does it last?

do any of you have a source for blades?

i would seriously like to know. i am curious and interested in a solution.

Hello and wow! you sure must go through a lot of canned goods. When I was married 32 yrs ago we received an electric and opener (a real luxury then) and it still works!

I got tired of having it on the counter and put it away and now just reach into my utility drawer for a hand held opener called “SwingawaY” that was my mother’s and it can be rinsed and cleaned and I am sure it is about 15 years old. Maybe the older things like the mechanics of my old electic one were better made and they really want consumers to wear an opener out and buy a new one every few years Good luck!:canadian:

Happytosave, I am right there with you. Have an electric one but find that the handheld one works faster and easier. Takes up less space as well.

robin1035 hope you will be able to find something that will work for you.

I had a swingway when I got married and it worked great after about 7 years it got lost in a move. I bought another one and it died quickly. We’ve gone through tons of electric and manual can openers and I finally bought a commercial manual can opener and it works great just got to bolt it down and use it and replace the blade every few years.

I got a Progressive can opener that ratchets a can open that I love but never use it on cans larger than a #202 or it will break! I’m most glad I made the $50 investment and got the kind of can opener they use in large commercial type kitchen. You can easily replace most of the parts.

OXO is an excellent brand. My KitchenAid is terrific & has lasted 7 years & still going strong. Both are manual can openers.

Hope this helps you.

I use the old fashioned hand held can opener. mine last for years, cost less than a slice of pizza, and does not take any counter space.
    i know this is not the answer youre looking for, but its my suggestion!
    good luck,
    AMY in miami

Doesn’t anybody make replacement blades for manual can openers? These things are virtually impossible to sharpen, and it’s ridiculous to buy a new one every year or so just because the blade is dull.

Wow, and I was feeling bad buying a new manual can opener (OXO) to replace my faithful one that has to be over 17 years old and still works fine. The new opener, however, has a magnetic tip to grab the lid and locks on to the can, among other features. Much nicer for my aging hands.

we use the old fashioned can opener you crank by hand, the gears and now not lining up…my luck 🙂

I bought one over a year ago that had red handles and says “Kitchen Aid” on it and it’s still going strong. Guess we finally found a winner! I’ve threatened my whole family about not using it to open #10 cans though!

told them they have to go downstairs to get the can stop and open it on the big industrial can open I have down there!

I have found that the good old manual can opener works so much better than the electric ones! I have an electric one that is made for tall cans and it sits under my coutner gathering dust. I only keep it for my mother in law. LOL

I got an OXO one as a wedding gift almost 10 years ago. I use it almost every day and it’s still going strong. I also have a hand-held electric one, the style that uncrimps the lid as it goes around.

It works great too but I don’t think to use it so often since it’s not in a place where I see it every day (truth be told, I have absolutely no idea where in my kitchen it is at the moment!).

I use my Tupperware Can Opener — it’s awesome, and it has a lifetime guarantee. <3

Yes, sadly, the can openers being made these days are very poor quality. Our household of professional cooks has tried many, and for now have an electric that we bought at Walmart. I haven’t found a solution as yet, but my best guess is to go all out and drop some real money on one from a high end cookware source that has a GUARANTEE, and the longer the better!

Sometimes frugal isn’t the way to go. Spend the cash on one that is guaranteed to function, and for a very long time, then hang on to it for dear life.

@signytheslow 290428 wrote:

go all out and drop some real money on one from a high end cookware source that has a guarantee, and the longer the better! sometimes frugal isn’t the way to go. spend the cash on one that is guaranteed to function, and for a very long time, then hang on to it for dear life.

my tuppeware one cost me close to $30 — and it’s worth every penny!

I bought several to give as gifts, because the handle on it is a “loop”, so it’s easy to use for people with arthritis… it’s a Godsend!

@rusteym 128394 wrote:

OXO is an excellent brand. My KitchenAid is terrific & has lasted 7 years & still going strong. Both are manual can openers.

Hope this helps you.

i agree, i have an oxo manual it is great, have had it for close to 10 years.

We have had the same issues with various brands. We looked up us made can openers, (handheld manual type), and found the ez-duz-it. works perfectly for around $10.

okay I’ll try this again I did post before but I am a newbie and I don’t know where the post went lol. I have also had the same issues that you have had. I finally bought a hand held opener I believe it is a kitchen aid one it take the whole top of the can right off with no sharp edges!

It’s wonderful doesn’t take up space either. I use it often and have had it for 5 to 7 years don’t remember exactly but I know it is at lease 5 years old. I wash it and make sure to dry the blades after every use that is so important I believe in the longevity of any product with blades.

Good luck hope you can find one that works for you. In my personal opinion the hand held are the way to go. 🙂

I go through can openers like crazy. We open lots and lots of #10 cans and they really eat up the can openers. While I have several ones that seem to be working I know they will burn out within the year.

I thought I was the only one that had trouble with can openers. I use Swiss army knifes to open my cans, got 3 or 4 of them laying around the kitchen.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Product Opinions & Questions can opener issue – am i really the only one?