Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Camping Tips-n-Tricks

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Great Breakfast Idea from Bonnie Jackman
      Date: 09 Aug 2001

Comments:
      Before we leave on a trip I toast a package of English muffins (each cut in half ). Then at the campsite for breakfast we place
      a piece of cheese and a couple of slices of ham (luncheon meat) use round ones if possible. Wrap in foil and place on fire
      pit grate for about 5 minutes a side. Just to warm and melt cheese. It’s always a hit and no clean up.

Great Idea from Heather Lum:

A few easy tips for the busy camper. You can purchase mayonnaise and margarine now in the squeeze containers, perfect utensil free additions to any cooler. Also for quick yummy coffee in the morning, get a French Press. All you have to do is boil water and pour into your fresh grounds you brought from home. Your hair is messy and your back hurts, but this makes it all worthwhile!

Great Idea from Sybil Jones:

For the “kitchen” I use one of those tackle box looking makeup cases that are popular with young girls, I got it when I was in high school
      and use it more now than ever!! salt, pepper, plastic ware plus all the long spoons and spatulas, everything fits in it, plus it has a built in
      mirror that is unbreakable!! P.S., don’t forget the toothpicks!!

Great idea from Eric Phillips

Not really a recipe, but a suggestion. Crystal Light comes in little tubs that are perfect for camping, just empty the contents into an empty 2-liter bottle, fill with water, and shake. No measuring, no packets.

Great idea from Lisa Price

Most people tease me, but I’ve found the use of one gallon zip lock bags very handy when packing for a camping trip. I’ll plan my meals, prepare the portions in advance – including everything from scrambling my eggs (just pour them out of the bag as needed) to
      measuring our pancake mix, and sealing lunch meats and various snacks, and then use the zip lock bags for everything. Not only are they much more efficient on space saving in an ice chest or camp box, but my meats get rave reviews from being marinated for a day or two
      before cooking – that way I can pack ahead a bit. They’re also great for keeping things dry – like cameras and film, matches,
      books & magazines, etc. Another handy tip – I usually double bag my meats, potato/macaroni salads. Just in case they’re too much for one seam to handle. Then if I find the need for the use of an emergency bag – like for a bathing suit or soiled laundry – I simply remove the outside layer – no digging for another box of zip lock bags 🙂

PS: Don’t forget to press or suck most of the air out of your bags – saves more room and keeps things nice and fresh.

Well, got to run – packing for a 5 day Memorial Day Weekend campout – with about 50 people in attendance. Hmmmmmmmm…..wonder how many Zip Locks I’ll need?

Source: https://www.thecampingsource.com

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Camping Tips-n-Tricks