- This topic is empty.
- March 12, 2020 at 8:04 am #583744mosParticipant
These are great to give for someone’s special occasion…
1 box red velvet cake mix and ingredients to make the cake
16-oz can prepared cream cheese frosting or homemade
1 lb candy coating, white or dark chocolate
Optional: Sprinkles or small candies to decorate
- Prepare and bake the red velvet cake mix according to the directions of the package for a 9-inch by 13-inch cake.
- Once baked, allow the cake to cool completely.
- Crumble the cake into a large bowl and work it with hands until it is in small pieces.
- If desired, reserve a few spoonfuls of crumbs to use as decorative toppings on the finished truffles.
- Spoon three-fourths of the frosting into the bowl and stir with a rubber spatula until the mixture is well combined.
- It should be very moist and hold together if a ball of cake is squeezed together and holds.
- If the cake mixture is still a bit dry, add more frosting to reach the desired consistency.
- Using a small cookie or candy scoop, scoop out small balls of cake and roll between palms until they are round.
- Place the cakes balls on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and refrigerate them while preparing the candy coating.
- Place the candy coating in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave it until melted, stirring after every 45 sec to prevent overheating.
- Using dipping tools or a fork, submerge a cake ball in the melted candy coating.
- Remove it from the coating and drag the bottom across the lip of the bowl to remove excess coating.
- Replace the dipped truffle on the foil-covered baking sheet.
- If desired, top it with a sprinkle of cake crumbs, small candies, or other decorations while the coating is still wet. Repeat with remaining cake balls.
- Refrigerate the truffles to set the coating completely, about 20 min.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.