Budget101 Discussion List Archives Homesteading Buy foods for storage on $5 a week

This topic contains 44 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by saturdaynightfever November 2, 2013 at 11:53 am.

• Author

You will end up with:

Week 1 : 6 lbs. salt
    Week 2 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 3 : 20 lbs. of sugar
    Week 4 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 5 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 6 : 6 lbs.

macaroni
    Week 7 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 8 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 9 : 6 lbs. yeast
    Week 10 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 11 : 8 cans tomato
    Week 12 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 13 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 14 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 15 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 16 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 17 : 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins
    Week 18 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 19 : 5 cans cream of mushroom soup
    Week 20 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 21 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 22 : 20 lbs.

sugar
    Week 23 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 24 : 6 lbs. shortening
    Week 25 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 26 : 5 lbs. honey
    Week 27 : 10 lbs.

powdered milk
    Week 28 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 29 : 5 lbs. peanut butter
    Week 30 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 31 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 32 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 33 : 1 bottle 500 aspirin
    Week 34 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 35 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 36 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 37 : 6 lbs. salt
    Week 38 : 20 lbs.

sugar
    Week 39 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 40 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 41 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 42 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 43 : 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins
    Week 44 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 45 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 46 : 6 lbs. macaroni
    Week 47 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 48 : 5 cans cream of mushroom soup
    Week 49 : 5 lbs.

honey
    Week 50 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 51 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 52 : 50 lbs. wheat

Some weeks you will have
    leftover change. Save the change
    each week in a kitty to be used
    for the weeks you may exceed
    $5.00 (for example, as when
    purchasing wheat or milk).

This should be enough to sustain
    2 people for 1 year. For every 2
    people in your family, add $5
    more and double or triple the
    amount of the item you are buying
    for that week.

:bounce:

Where would you buy wheat? While being frugal – I’m not sure I even have that much space to store all that food (sure wish I did!)

I buy the wheat at the food lion in our area, they started carrying it a couple months ago. I had a walk in closet, I didnt need that much room, and the way it was positioned it was just off the the side of the kitchen. So I had my hsband remove part of the wall and reconstuct part of the closet to make a pantry.

I had an additional pantry on the other side of my kitchen, so this gave me a little extra room. My friends call me a
    food-horder. I hope this helps you some.

Is this all you buy each week or in addition to a regular list? I take it you grind the wheat to make your own flour? If so, what do you use to grind the wheat?

Do you go to warehouse clubs to buy the bulk items? You mentioned storing the food in an extra closet/pantry that you have, but how do you store it to keep insects and critters from getting any ideas?

This is a great idea, but I think most of us would probably have to modify it a bit to fit our own lifestyles. Thanks for the ideas.

Debbie

Debbie
    I agree if I was to make a few adjustments to the items we prefer it is a great way to stockpile. I am curious now to see if I go to the store and focus on one or two items, what I can end up having for $5.00.
    Thanks,

I am sooooo envious of your adapted closet. Unfortunately, I don’t have one that big, with the exception of our bedroom closet, and that’s full of clothes. The other closets are much smaller and full of storage boxes (our son’s stuff – he’s in the Army and still living in the barracks).

The attic is too hot to store his stuff, so it occupies his old closet. My only other closet is full of craft stuff from my mom’s house when she died, and I’m using it up very slowly, making Christmas presents. Eventually it will be gone, but it’ll be awhile.

Dear hubby just calls me a packrat, but then I have things when I need them. I give things away when I no longer have a use for them, and try to find them good homes.

@faxonfive 85234 wrote:

I buy the wheat at the food lion in our area, they started carrying it a couple months ago. I had a walk in closet, I didnt need that much room, and the way it was positioned it was just off the the side of the kitchen. So I had my hsband remove part of the wall and reconstuct part of the closet to make a pantry.

I had an additional pantry on the other side of my kitchen, so this gave me a little extra room. My friends call me a
    food-horder. I hope this helps you some.

🙂

I’m a little confused with your listing. You mentioned:
    “Week 3 : 20 lbs. of sugar 500 pounds of wheat
    Week 4 : 8 cans tomato soup 180 pounds of sugar
    Week 5 : 50 lbs wheat 40 pounds of powdered milk”
    I can’t imagine getting 20 lbs of sugar for $5 less alone 500 lb.

of wheat also! I can get 25 lbs of sugar for $10.50 and I get 50lb bags of Hard red wheat for $5 each from my neighbor but how in the world do you get both for $5 that week? Where can you get 40 lb of powered milk for $5 I get 25 lb bags for $50.

How do you store it? I have to seal mine into #10 cans due to our very high humidity and lots of varmints that would move in and eat us out of house and home if they could get to it! I got lots of food stacked in my very dry basement that I rotate through but I sure can’t get it for $5 a week!

Hope you can explain how you do so I can too!

Sorry to confuse you all … 🙁 I get 5 lb bags of sugar at a food closet close to where I live for .50 cents a bag. I then have a grinder that I grind the wheat with.

I have a couple friends who are big budgeters like me and we “go-intogether” with and purchase some of the items – like the wheat, powdered milk, honey, etc. I have a “seal-a-meal” that I seal almost everything….I put alot of moth balls around the pantry and I not only seal alot of my items, I also store them in airtight containers that I mark with important dates. I have a two chest freezers so I sometimes freeze things that I will worry about, but for the most part I do my usual sealing.

We then calculate it to accomodate our budget. We also have been know to purchase a side of beef and split it and a whole pig at the local slaughter house, This helps our budget ALOT!! I hope I was able to clear this up some…sorry again for the confusion….thanks for being patient!!!

God Bless!!!

Okay! What is a food closet and how do you find out if there are any in your area?

TIA,
    Debbie

I assume your “food closet” is like my 20 cent store. It’s a Christian Ministry that sells to the public. Our local 20 cent store doesn’t sell food but clothing and other items. My teenage daughters get 90% of their clothing there.

They find plenty of things they can wear out right and they also look for stuff with good fabric that they can remake into items they want. We have so many families living below poverty level here in nw missouri that food pantries are hard pressed to help them out. we all donate as much as we can to help out.

i’m envious of you having such a great resource that you can use to feed your family! we do use the lds church home storage facilities. they sell to members and non-members alike and sell at cost. you can find their facilities at provident living home and click on home storage.

click on locations at the top. if you aren’t blessed to have a “food closet” to use near by i hope this site will be close enough to use! i have to go about 90 miles to reach the one near me but i go twice a year and buy the bulk and bring it home and put it up instead of using their canning facilities.

I also have lots of Amish in my area and get great deals from them and some of their little dry goods stores are able to order in bulk for me. Oh how I’d love to get sugar at 50 cents for 5 lb. !!!!

Lucky you! but you have the right idea even if we have to pay more– a little each week can do great things!

Yesh we do have a “food pantry/closet” here but its owned by a couple who believe that no one should go hungry and I dont know how they buy the items they do, but they get a great cost and help others with this cost too. I dont go there to often because its a bit aways from me. Its more of a home/grown business where they dont make a profit.

I hope that they will be around for awhile, because I would love to see my kids get these deals also!!!

I started doing this on a small scale last year, buying an extra package of spaghetti or elbow macaroni or a bag/box of rice whenever I bought groceries. It didn’t add much to the cost of the trip, but I’d put it away and then the next time I’d buy something else that was an extra, and before you knew it I had extra groceries for those lean months. My main rule to myself was that it had to be non-perishable.

I rotate the items to try to keep them as fresh as possible.

Oh, I got Top Sirloin Round Steak this week for $1.99/lb. I’m getting some more tomorrow and am freezing it in my small chest freezer. Oh, the sale is at Randalls – I’m in the Houston, TX area if this helps anyone.

Thanks for the Houston tip! I’m not there yet but will be very soon! I’m in nw mo but my dh just got a full time agr job with the tx air guard and is looking for an apt in webster right now.

the girl’s and i will float between the 2 places for 2 years when he retires. My Amish neighbors having been teaching me how to can meats this year. I have a lot of Deer given to me — we know how to butcher it so we take shares.

If you cut off all the fat there is no wild game taste. I never used to like Venison until I learned how to butcher and the guy who taught me, told me about the fat thing. You’ve got to know how to cook it without the fat but oh my the deer steaks we have each year just melt in your mouth!

This will be my 1st year canning them. Still think I’ll freeze part but will try to can as much as I can. I buy 5 pack of Chicken at Sam’s Club and 5 lb.s of Honey each month.

We use a little but I’m trying to get it stock piled. My husband wants us to be mostly self supporting with in 3 years. Right now I’m in need of canning jars in a big way for next years gardening.

We went from 1 raised bed to 22 beds for next year. My mind is scrambling trying to figure out where and how to get enough canning jars! got lots of folks watching garage sales and auctions for me but we have so many Amish here that canning jars go quick.

I lucked out a few years ago and dropped in on my Aunt in Joplin, mo just as she was putting gallon and half gallon canning jars on the curb for the trash! i left a bunch with my son who was going to school there and packed my car every which way i could– even tied some on top! i told my family i wanted qt.

& pint jars for christmas this year! we’re suppose to get a big root cellar built next summer so that will help with root crops, ect. if i can find great deals while in houston i can put them up and bring them back home.

i’m still amazed at our va friend who is able to get 5lb. of sugar for 50 cents! But like I said I get free meat each year so I guess we all get our share of bargains where ever we’re at!

We have an amish store here but they are so expensive. I love to go just to purchase the butter. thanks yall!!!

I’m sorry your Amish area is so expensive! We have lots of Amish moving in during the last 7 years and they are great. Noah Yoder sold fabric that I had bought at Joanns at $10 a yard to make aprons, he sold it for 25 cents a yard!

We have a good 5 year supply of fabric on hand. I try hard to not use it all up. Several Amish neighbors sell stuff from their gardens for much cheaper than local stores.

I got 5 huge watermelons and 10 muskmelons for family reunion for $8. Our local Amish dry goods stores sell salvage food stuffs along with their regular dry goods. I get 1 lb.

containers of spices for $2. I get 50 canning lids for $2. their baskets are on the pricey side but they are much nicer than you could ever find at the Wal-Mart, ect!

We all take turns driving them to appointments. When we need help they are right there ready to help. A couple years ago a rural bridge went out leaving 5 families stranded.

Our county said it would be over 2 years before they could replace it. Our Amish neighbors said they could build it and gave us a list of materials and everyone in our community pulled together and got what they needed and we got an awesome wooden bridge Amish made. Much nicer than the cement slab the county would of poured somewhere down the way!

I lived back East several years ago and the Amish seemed much more stand offish. Here they are very friendly and blend into our community well. If you ever come to Bethany, MO you’ll see Hitching posts all over town for our wonderful Amish neighbors to tie up their horses.

I buy food for storage like this, but I’m not nearly as organized. We live in a small apartment, so I can’t store quite as much as some of you guys but I do as much as I can. I store things like pasta, canned foods, rice, toiletries, etc.

Now that I have begun to do this I am saving quite a bit of money. I try to buy as much as I can with coupons and now that I have so much in storage I am really beginning to save money because I wait until the stuff really goes on sale & buy it then. For instance, I only buy toothpaste when I can get it for 25 cents or less, etc.

The same with my cleaning supplies. And, the Giant I shop at even has coupons for their own store brand items, so many times I get cleaning supplies, hand soap, snack foods, etc. completely free!

We have $150 total per paycheck for that we budget for Groceries, Toiletries, Cleaning Supplies. This paycheck we bought everything we needed plus many “fun items” such as snack foods & we still saved $50! I’m really start to see the savings now because, like I said, now that I have stocked up on pasta, rice, canned foods, deoderant, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc, I only buy it when I can get it for less than 50 cents.

My husband says he’s very proud that I’ve been working on saving us money, and I hvae to admit, I’m pretty proud myself! 🙂

Way to go! I think with our economy going down we all need to stock up and learn to budget and even learn to do without things we are used to. If we learn now we will be able to handle anything the future hands us!

Great job Rtebalt!!! I am proud of you!!! Keep up the good work!!

Brchbell, I sure wish the Amish were as nice here, I agree with you too, they are stand-offish and snobby here, but I jus tcant help but buy that lovely butter!!

I went to a harvest fair that was over in Harrisonburg va yesterday, and foudn a place where the amish people were “sorta” nice, food was great but the prices were BAD!! With all that my husband and I have been goign through the past couple weeks, we “treated” ourselves to a day out. I am not sure if I would visit that place again – but it was good food…I sure wish it wasnt so expensive too!!

Thanks dear friends!!
    Lynn

I freeze my stable goods like flour to prevent bugs from getting in and I too took a small closet and converted it into a pantry. I buy my bulk items at a super market that sells bulk items at good prices.

With the economy the way it has been lately I havent stick to my own plan…..I have veered off the path but with time I am going to get back to it….. 🙂 great job catlady!!!

In Portugal rice prices will go up soon, so I intend to stock up before they do :). The only problem are bugs after some time. How do you keep them out?

I place moth balls on the floor in my pantry. Its good for bugs (and snakes – which I hope dont make it in my house) …I hope it works for you!!

God Bless!!

I am nly afraid my silly cats will eat those balls 😉 they tend to play with everything that’s round and eat crunchy stuff like cereals or grasshoppers, which they lovingly bring inside our house so they can dismember them on the carpet.

Ouch, I have four cats, although three are inside and I understand what you mean. I am lucky cause I have a door on my pantry so they cant get in. Cats are so funny too.

I’m blessed to live near a LDS Food storage center so I can all my dry goods for storage. they also showed me how to use the juice bottles we normally throw away. Pete bottles that apple, cranberry, ect juice comes in- must have screw down lids.

You wash them out good and after they dry. then you can use them to store your dry goods like beans and rice, ect. They said for long term use we should put an oxygen pack in and that would seal the bottle but I’ve had stuff in them for a year and they are still fine and no bugs!

I live in Missouri and bugs are a real problem here! Hope this helps!

Awesome idea brchbell!! I save all my water bottles I get from work – so I can store like that also!!

Thank you so much!!!

If you have freezer space rice, flour etc stores really nicely there without problems of bugs. I never thought about using plastic bottles for storage-seems easy enough one of those so simple it never crossed my mind. Thanks

I have a chest freezer but I am such a food hord that I dont have anymore room, so the idea of the plastic bottles is magnificent!!

me too! no freezer space 🙂 I always try to double batch so I end up having no freezer space for other foods.

I know what you mean…….I have been hinting to my husband that I want a seal-a-meal for christmas!!!

I just noticed yesterday that the big 50 oz. Cremora PETE bottles have screw down lids! I use lots of cremora in mixes now I realize I can use those nice wide mouth bottles for storage!

what’s a seal-a-meal? i want a crockpot 🙂

The seal-a-meal is kinda like a vacuum sealer. It makes what your sealing airtight…I asked for the crockpot last year…I got a real nice one…. Love it..!!!

A Seal-a-meal is plastic bags that get sealed in a vacuum hot sealer. It sucks air out as it melts the edge. I found it a nuisance to use as I’m a very high volume user.

It’s much easier for me to seal in #10 cans or seal in Pete bottles or glass jars. If you don’t have large amounts to do it would probably work out great for you. But oh my I couldn’t live without my crock-pots!

So when sealing -you can only use the small bags, or only do small amouts? Kinda like a lunch portion right?

There is larger bags as I recall but I tend to work with 50 lb or more at a time so I didn’t care to work with it.

Thanks…….I like making the smaller bags so that I can take them to lunch at work….. 🙂

very interesting! Thanks for the explanation… I use tupperware most times or freeze in regular plastic bags with a knot.

that sounds better 😉

I love tupperware but then when my kids use it, they get left where ever they take them and then I end up with nothing…. 🙁

@faxonfive 85095 wrote:

You will end up with:

Week 1 : 6 lbs. salt
    Week 2 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 3 : 20 lbs. of sugar
    Week 4 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 5 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 6 : 6 lbs.

macaroni
    Week 7 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 8 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 9 : 6 lbs. yeast
    Week 10 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 11 : 8 cans tomato
    Week 12 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 13 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 14 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 15 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 16 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 17 : 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins
    Week 18 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 19 : 5 cans cream of mushroom soup
    Week 20 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 21 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 22 : 20 lbs.

sugar
    Week 23 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 24 : 6 lbs. shortening
    Week 25 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 26 : 5 lbs. honey
    Week 27 : 10 lbs.

powdered milk
    Week 28 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 29 : 5 lbs. peanut butter
    Week 30 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 31 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 32 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 33 : 1 bottle 500 aspirin
    Week 34 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 35 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 36 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 37 : 6 lbs. salt
    Week 38 : 20 lbs.

sugar
    Week 39 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 40 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 41 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 42 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 43 : 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins
    Week 44 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 45 : 50 lbs.

wheat
    Week 46 : 6 lbs. macaroni
    Week 47 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 48 : 5 cans cream of mushroom soup
    Week 49 : 5 lbs.

honey
    Week 50 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 51 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 52 : 50 lbs. wheat

Some weeks you will have
    leftover change. Save the change
    each week in a kitty to be used
    for the weeks you may exceed
    $5.00 (for example, as when
    purchasing wheat or milk).

This should be enough to sustain
    2 people for 1 year. For every 2
    people in your family, add $5
    more and double or triple the
    amount of the item you are buying
    for that week.

I really like the way this is broken down. Although the $5 won’t go quite as far as it did 4 years ago, one can still use the concept and use maybe $8-$10 each week to build a food storage stockpile.
    Thanks for sharing this idea!

I use to buy cans of chicken (5 pack at Sam’s Club for $11) this last month instead I bought 3 whole chickens at 2.50 each and it was enough to equal 11 of those big cans I get at Sam’s Club PLUS I got 17 pints of very nice chicken broth, actually gels in the bottle. Great way to build up my food storage, get much more than buying it pre-done.

A very good list. I have a small closet converted into a pantry and with some organization I could store more food. You gave me some great ideas. Thank you.

Sam’s Club sells a nice shelving unit that holds 1000lbs. Only $35-40. We will be getting that next year and loading it up.

My family grew to 7 just recently, so I am going to be starting to use this method you listed here to start stockpiling some staples. I will probably add other items to the list that were not mentioned, also.

*giggles* Okay, I started. 40 lbs of pasta are going in!! WE are going to be moving to a larger apartment soon.

I think my hubs is planning on putting the dresser in the closet so I can just put my shelves in the bedroom for the extra storage. This will be awesome. Once I get my unit totally filled, I’ll take a pic and post.

Great post! We just started stockpiling! Thanks for sharing, this will be very helpful!

I want to stockpile more too but I have such a limited area for storage. We already use totes with plywood set on top and then fabric tablecovers to hide it all as coffee tables and stands. It works ok, but I’d love to have some real storage space for a change!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Homesteading Buy foods for storage on $5 a week