Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

If you’re getting ready to fill your hummingbird feeders please remember to make a butterfly feeder too! If You don’t already have some flowers in bloom you can add some pretty glass beads and fake silk flowers for color to attract them.

Just soak some of the hummingbird food up into a clean sponge (or sponge pieces) and place them on a plate (or birdbath, etc). Butterflies will eat the hummingbird food. If you don’t feed hummingbirds you can make butterfly food by mixing 10 parts water to 1 part sugar.

What that means is:
      10 Tbs Water
      1 Tbs Sugar

or
      10 Cups Water
      1 C. Sugar

or
      5 cups water
      1/2 cup sugar

etc

Just bring the water to a boil, add the sugar, bring it to a boil and stir until it’s fully dissolved. Remove from heat, cool completely before serving to the butterflies.

You can also add pieces of fruit – bananas, oranges, grapefruit, cantaloupe, but these need to be changed daily. Also.. keep in mind that butterfly feeders may attract honeybees and praying mantis as well.

The more the merrier!

Attachments:

I love this idea! I was looking for the hummingbird food recipe here on the site so I could get my feeders up today, I noticed they’ve been hanging around the last couple of days looking for them. I can’t wait to add a butterfly feeder too!

what about wasps? We have a big problem with wasps!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register