Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

OK normally I have this stainless pot (favorite), I was cooking rice and forgot about it, well you know what happened. I soaked the pot, got most of the mess out of it. My question is How do I get the rest of the burnt marks off the bottom of the pan.

I do not have any oven cleaner.

I read something some time back about using a dryer sheet, but cannot remember the details. I am 46 and have never burnt a pan (I should know how to do this :-)).

Help 🙂

Here are a couple of things you can try:

Fill pan with water, covering any marks, bring to a boil (make sure it is really boiling) add a few tablespoonfuls of salt. Turn off the heat and let the pan sit for a few hours. Dump out the water and scrub the pan with a scouring pad.

Cover the bottom of the pan with vinegar, fill pan with water, bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and proceed as if you were using salt.

Rub the marks with a slice of Lime (Lemon would work, also) let sit 10 minutes or so, sprinkle with salt and use a scouring pad or magic eraser to scrub the pan.

Use a mildly abrasive cleaner / scouring powder (like bar keepers friend) to make a paste (sprinkle some on the pan add a small amount of water) and scrub with a wet sponge. Note: a recipe for scouring powder is 2 parts baking soda, 1 part salt and 1 part Borax powder.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Thanks, the pot had been boiled & soaking for a week and I could not get it clean. BUT I added the salt, boiled & leti it for 1/2 hour and it looks brand new 🙂

Glad to hear that it worked. Thanks; Virginia

Avatar for jkpjohnsonbethaliz6894
      Participant

my mom had a pan similar to this so she gave it to me and I used it to melt my soap for laundry detergent. I like the liquid kind. the pan sparkles more than a new pan.

🙂

I was going to suggest boil water and soap or water and baking soda.

I bet you wont forget your rice again, will you? 🙂

Avatar for jkpjohnsonFreebieQueen

@jkpjohnson 319715 wrote:

OK normally I have this stainless pot (favorite), I was cooking rice and forgot about it, well you know what happened. I soaked the pot, got most of the mess out of it. My question is How do I get the rest of the burnt marks off the bottom of the pan. I do not have any oven cleaner.

I read something some time back about using a dryer sheet, but cannot remember the details. I am 46 and have never burnt a pan (I should know how to do this :-)).

Help 🙂

Sorry I didn’t respond to this one sooner, but I’ve tried the dryer sheet trick and quite frankly, I wasn’t overly impressed with it. I still ended up scrubbing the heck out of the bottom of the pan. I did bring some vinegar and a squirt of dawn to a simmer in the pan that had burnt on food (in my case MILK!!), and it worked fairly well.

I too have tried the old dryer sheet in the pot trick and I didn’t have much luck with it. Perhaps we ought to be sharing what BRAND dryer sheets we tried? Maybe that will make the difference.

I used Great Value brand. I don’t know if the ingredients in each one are that much different though. What brand did you try?

Avatar for jkpjohnsonbethaliz6894
      Participant

i have never used a dryer sheet for something like this. it grosses me out. the chemicals stay in your dryer and on your clothes and they cant be easily removed.

in my mind, it would stick to the pan and then you will be eating it the next time you use the pan.

I don’t drink cola but this works on some items. Make sure the pot is dry and pour
      in cola to cover the burned area and let it set for the day. This may loosen it.
      I had areas of my slow cooker that were badly stained and it worked for that. Good luck

Avatar for jkpjohnsonJennifer Green
      Participant

I know that this is an old thread, but I had burnt rice as well in one of my Revere pans. I did not know about the salt trick, so will try that next time, as I make a lot of rice so I am sure there will be a next time.

I know that this probably will not be that popular of a choice, but I used easy off oven cleaner… >.< Thinking back now, I am not sure that it was a good idea, but it worked really well and was pretty fast. I let it sit outside while it worked. Wiped right out. Treated it like it was an oven. I did this like 10 years ago and still have the pot today.

My pot was the perfect pot for boiling potatoes, cooking oatmeal, making sauces, solid little dear …had it for decades until I put some eggs on to boil and went out for a visit; for several hours. Once the smoke cleared I cleaned my little pot with abrasives, soaked it in solutions then gave up and accepted it as my poor little pot. The imperfect one you love all the more for its imperfections.

Two maybe three years later! I moved into a smelly apartment. I decided to get some good use out of leftover lemon rinds by simmering them in my little pot all day to help cloak the odours.

The result was like a miracle. My pot is scrupulously clean and sparkling. No scrubbing!

No mess! No elbow grease! Just had to share.

Love to hear the other methods and stories. It almost makes chores fun.

No,no dear. The pot is “stainless steel”. It would take something caustic to permeate that surface.

A dryer sheet is quite benign. (Unless you have allergies ) save your freaking out for something like cleaning fish, shucking oysters or icky kidneys to prepare for MDH who requires a serving of beef and kidney stew.

Avatar for jkpjohnsonJennifer Green
      Participant

I must have known this was going to happen…. Burnt creamed corn last night. At least today, cleaning the pot was much easier compared to the panic I felt when I burnt the first one!

Ha haha!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.