Bulk food buying

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I have bought grains and flour in bulk for years. Unless they come in an airtight sealed bucket, they must be put in the freezer for at least 24 hours. When they come out, they must be put in an airtight container. Plasic bags do not qualify. It must be a glass jar or plastic food grade container with lid that snaps shut. I save the airtight buckets that grains come in future use with flour/ oatmeat etc. I also bought some very large (20 – 40 lb)food grade containers at Sams.

Quote:
      Original Message
      To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:12 AM
      Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Bulk food buying

I hate to say it but the eggs are already in the flours and corn flour. Eventually, if the temperature is right, the critters will hatch. I know we don’t like to think about consuming bug eggs, but it is a fact of life.

Suzi

Quote:
      Original Message
      To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:36 PM
      Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Bulk food buying

On your cornmeal,I would put it in the freezer or at least in the fridge.I have found that no matter how tite the lid the critters still get in there and short of putting a plastic bag in first then putting on the lid then covering the entire thing again with a plastic baggy it is just better to store in the freezer.Not sure about the yeast but hubbys mom told me to never freeze yeast and to store in fridge but make sure to use before expiration date.If any of you all have different idas with tried and true methods please advise me as well.Oh and greetings from Missouri(the Ozarks)
      Sandy

maryhelen720 wrote:

Greeting from SW Arkansas; I’ve been diagnosed with cancer; the
      treatments have really put restrictions on my shopping abilities. I
      said all that to tell you this. I’m starting to buy at the Sam’s Club
      in Texarkana; I bought 2 lbs of yeast for a really good price. Now can
      someone tell me how to keep it fresh? I found a good buy on corn meal
      in a plastic 3 lb, tub with a screw on lid. Do I need to put it in the
      freezer or will it stay bug free in the tub? Thanks in advance for your
      help.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.