- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated January 28, 2006 at 5:10 pm by .
- January 28, 2006 at 5:10 pm #235874
1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
2/3 cup plus 4 tsp water or tomato-vegetable juice
1/2 cup pitted green sicilian or black kalamata olives
2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tbs chopped fresh basil
2 tbs capers (optional)
1 1/2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp coarsely chopped fresh ginger root
1 loaf good-quality whole-wheat bread or italian bread
1. IN 10″ saucepan, toast bulgur over medium heat until darkens slightly. add 2/3 cup water or juice and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
remove from heat, cover and set aside for 10 minutes to let bulgur absorb liquid.
2. in a blender or food processor, combine remaining 4 teaspoons water or juice, olives, herbs, capers (if desired), olive oil, lemon juice and ginger root. blend to a smooth paste.
transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. drain any excess liquid from the bulgur, and add bulgur to olive mixture. mix well.
meanwhile, preheat oven to 400?. CUT 12 slices of bread 1/2″ thick on the diagonal. bake on a cookie sheet until lightly browned on both sides, about 15 MIN.
spread olive-bulgur mixture on top of toasted bread and serve immediately. makes 6 SERVINGS = 175 calories/serving
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.