- October 31, 2008 at 9:07 pm #265592
Buggy Leaf Spice Cookies
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsp apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice
2 logs (16.5 oz each) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
Brown gel or paste food color
You’ll need: assorted sizes of leaf-shaped cookie cutters (3 1/2- to 6-in.)
Decoration: tubes of orange, green and yellow decorating icing with plastic writing tips attached; yellow decorating sugar; ladybug and caterpillar graham cracker cookies (Keebler Bug Bites); a clean artist’s brush; black writing gel; red nonpareil candies
1. In a large bowl, knead flour and spice into cookie dough until combined; knead in 1/4 tsp brown food color until dough is the color of light gingerbread. Divide dough in half.
Shape each half into a 1-in.-thick disk. Wrap separately. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
2. Heat oven to 350°F. You’ll need a baking sheet(s).
Roll 1 dough disk at a time between sheets of wax paper to 1/8 in. thick. Using floured cutters, cut out leaves.
Transfer cutouts with floured spatula to an ungreased baking sheet, 1 in. apart. Reroll and cut scraps.
Score leaf veins in each cookie.
3. Bake 14 minutes or until golden at edges. Cool on sheet on wire rack 5 minutes before removing cookies to rack to cool completely.
4. To decorate leaves: Pipe decorating icing in scored veins in leaves. Outline cookies with decorating icing and sprinkle icing with decorating sugar.
5. Using photo as a guide, decorate ladybugs and caterpillars: Thin some orange decorating icing with drops of water until thin enough to apply with an artist’s brush; paint onto ladybug cookies, using the design in cookies as a guide. Let cookies dry at least 2 hours.
Using the black writing gel, fill in the spots, legs and head of the ladybugs. Place 2 nonpareils on head for eyes. For the caterpillars, thin green decorating icing with water and paint onto cookie.
Place a nonpareil eye and pipe legs with yellow decorating icing. Let dry.
Makes 60 (3 1/2-in.) cookies, 32 (4 1/2-in.) or 24 (6-in.)
Serving based on one 4 1/2-in. cookie
- November 2, 2008 at 6:57 pm #402370
When i think buggy here in the middle of a very Amish area I think Amish buggies! I’m laughing at your cute idea of sugar cookies. Can’t wait to try it!
- November 2, 2008 at 7:04 pm #402371
I can’t take credit. Most of my ideas come from the Internet or magazines! 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.