Budgeting Question- What do you do to keep summer costs low?

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Budgeting Question- What do you do to keep summer costs low?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

We joined the program offered by our electric company to cut down on Summer usage. This will save tons this Summer. Check with your Electric Company.

Let the kids run through the sprinkler, make water balloons, buy $1 squirt guns at Walmart, etc. Lots of cheap, fun things for the kids to do outside in the Summertime. Or, barter with a neighbor that has a pool for some swimming fun………..make them some cookies, offer babysitting, etc.

Grill instead of using your oven/stove. A tank of propane lasts us over a month during the Summer, and grilled food is tasty, and healthier sometimes too! Don’t forget to grill veges and even fruit (peaches, pineapple) for dessert! Cuts way down on electric/gas usage. Make your own drinks instead of buying soda……………lemonade, iced tea, even cool-aid is much cheaper (and better for you and the kids) than soda.

Plant a vegetable garden! We have one every year and I get tons of tomatoes, zucchini, herbs, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, carrots, radishes, etc., from an investment of about $25 in plants and seeds. Plus, the kids love to watch things grow………..make it a learning experience. Buy what you don’t grow at farmer’s markets, roadside stands or grocery outlets. Barter with neighbors who have fruittrees, avocado trees, etc.

Plan your day around the heat………….we have a 2-story house with 2 air conditioning units (1 up, 1 down). We spend the mornings upstairs doing what we need to up there (getting dressed, playing in the loft, treadmill in our bedroom). By 11am we move downstairs where its much cooler and spend the rest of the day down so we don’t have to turn on the air conditioner at all upstairs. We also use ceiling fans as much as possible so we only need our air conditioner downstairs a few times a week (we get up to 108* here in Summer – Yuk). When it gets too hot to bare………..go to the discount movie theatre or walk around the mall to cool off.

Buy Summer clothes at garage sales. LOTS of great finds to be found! Also, thrift stores, etc. My kids are barefoot most of the Summer at home, and have 1 pair of sandals (bought at Walmart) to get them through the Summer. By the end, they are ready for the trash!! Target has $1 flip-flops right now, and I bought 3 pairs for each kid so that should see us through the Summer.

We don’t do vacations, but we go camping once a month. I prepay our camping fees, which are mostly at State parks, and the space fees are low ($12-$18 a night). I bring food that we have in our pantry, and we do lots of free nature things while camping.

Take advantage of local parks, community centers, museums, etc. Many offer discounts during the days to attract Summer attendees, and boost sales in a slow period.

Hope this helps!

Shannon T.
      So Cal

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Budgeting Question- What do you do to keep summer costs low?