Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

Holidays & Special Occasions Christmas-Yule-hanukkah-Kwanzaa-Winter Solstice Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      BiggerPiggyBank

Here are some things I have done:

I buy clearance Christmas items after Christmas and keep for the next year. Some stores will discount items by as much as 90%!!! I have bought placemats for 19 cents each, tablecloths for 50 cents, Christmas cooky jars for $2, and cooky cutters for 5 cents each!

I also have stocked up on Christmas serving dishes, candles, individual ornaments and ribbon and gift wrap at exceptional savings.

Last year I gave cooky jars and instead of filling them with cookies, I gave a bag of flour and a bag of sugar with them. I wrapped them and instead of a bow, I tied on several Christmas cooky cutters.

I haven’t baked too much in the past few years, but a cheese ball on a pretty holiday serving dish with a couple of boxes of crackers makes a nice gift, and I have added holiday spreaders too.

A few years ago I bought bottles of spices at Big Lots for two for a dollar. I lined a “recycled” basket with a holiday dish towel and arranged the bottles in the basket with a string of dried red chili peppers and 5 or 6 bulbs of garlic.

I added a holiday candle and wrapped it in all up in cellophane and added a bow. The spices cost me $4 for 8. The peppers and garlic came from the garden 🙂 free !

The dish towel and candle were clearance sale Christmas items. The whole thing cost me less than $5 and was really nice. This was a gift for someone who had recently moved out on her own and she loved it.

I took a class several years ago, and I learned how to make beautiful bows, but often I skip the bow and tie on an ornament instead with curling ribbon to “dress up” the package. Ribbon can be expensive, even when it is discounted, and the bow will more times than not end up in the trash.

My son saves the Sunday Comics section and uses it to wrap his gifts.

I will think again tonight and see if I can think of any more…………………………

Peggy in Ohio

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Holidays & Special Occasions Christmas-Yule-hanukkah-Kwanzaa-Winter Solstice Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge