• Author
      mos

Brownie Pie in a Jar
      1 cup sugar
      1/2 cup flour
      1/4 cup cocoa
      pinch salt
      1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or chocolate chips
      In a 1-pint wide-mouth canning jar (2 cup size), pour in 1 cup sugar. Add 1/4 cup cocoa, then add 1/2 cup flour and pinch of salt. Pour 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (or substitute chocolate chips) into a small lightweight food storage bag. Twist bag and tie tightly with twine or ribbon, cutting off excess plastic bag end. Push lightly into the flour in the jar. Screw on the jar top.

Directions for gift:
      Easy Brownie PieBrownie Pie Mix
      2 eggs
      1 stick butter or margarine, softened
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      Preheat oven to 325°.

Grease and flour a 9-inch pie plate.
      Whisk together 2 eggs in mixing bowl. Add softened butter or margarine and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Open jar and hold over the mixing bowl. Remove bag of pecans, walnuts, or chocolate chips, shake excess flour into the bowl and set bag of nuts aside. Pour jar contents into the mixing bowl. Mix to moisten ingredients, then beat on high speed of electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Empty bag of nuts or chocolate chips into the batter and fold in. Spread batter in prepared pie plate. Bake for about 30 minutes, until set. Cut into wedges and serve slightly warm with vanilla ice cream.
      1heartjar smilie

MrsPaws

This one is going into my file for Christmas gifts this coming year!!!
      It’s truly amazing the recipes you’ve come up with…thanks for sharing them!

mos

Awww, shucks…t’weren’t nothin’giggle smiley
      I love to cook and come up with new ways of preparing meals. I’ve been working on a book for a few years and my home burned down and I lost everything.

Fortunately, I have posted 100s of recipes on various sites that I belong to and have been able to gather them again. I NOW have a fire-proof box that I keep important stuff in! LOL!

Jar Gifts are easy. Just take recipes that you like to make and think about how you could convert it to a jar gift. That’s what I did with this one.

Several years ago, I perfected what I call ‘The All Purpose Seasoning Mix’ which is good for soups, stews, sauces, gravies, chilis, rubs, or mix with olive oil and make a marinade.

No, I won’t share the recipe as I’m trying to figure out how to market it myself. The reason that I’m telling you this is to let you know that you can make a jar gift out of anything.

About five years ago, I had a few friends that were struggling financially and I decided to give them the gift of meals. I purchased plastic containers and put a pound of beans, a cup of rice in a baggie, and a tbs of my mix.

In the card attached to the gift was a $5 gift certificate to the grocery store with a recipe to make chili on the stove or crockpot. The gift certificate would cover the cost of meat, produce, and crusty bread — nowadays, I’d have to increase it to $10;- AND they had a container to store leftovers!

LOL! Just so ya know, I added the rice as an after thought to help stretch the meal Plus everybody makes chili mac, so I just wanted them to try something different.

I can’t tell you how appreciative those friends were! You would’ve thought that I had given them gold bars! The point is…be creative…you can make a ‘jar’ gift out of just about anything.

The friends are all doing better now and they look forward to getting a jar of just the seasoning mix that they can use;-) AND if they use it up too quickly, they hand me the jar for a refill! giggle

MrsPaws

I really like the way you helped your friends…Very creative yet extremely thoughtful. May have to borrow this idea also.
      I have a close friend who’s family is having some financial issues…Last year, I done the friendship soup mix that I found on here. Her family loved it and I felt better about giving her that as a gift than if I’d bought something that they may not have actually needed.
      I can truly say, I appreciate all the good ideas and tips you’ve given me.

btw-I’m very sorry about what happened to your home…I can’t fathom the feeling…scary to think about…

mos

Here’s another idea for helping friends… Last year I met a gal that was really in a bad place, to put it politely, she was being treated like a dog by her husband and mother-in-law (they lived in MIL’s home;-) She was receiving food stamps and had no income, no transportation of her own…as I said, it was bad…just picture the worst case scenario and you have her conditions. I really didn’t know how to help other than to tell her to call me when she received her food stamps and I would take her to the store so that she could get the most for her buck. Well, after five minutes in the store, I put everything back and we left the store. I took her to my place, printed out the $10 Budget and the recipes. We reviewed the list and recipes, put a check mark by what she knew she had and returned to the store. Obviously, she saved quite a bit of money and had groceries;-D I convinced her to give me the remaining food stamps — which actually comes on a card now — until she needed to hit the store again. The next trip was all about teaching her how to shop. She had made a list and we adjusted it as we went down the aisles.
      So I helped her to see the value of making things from scratch and how to shop for good foods — not short cuts. She’s moved, so I don’t know how she’s doing, but I hope she escaped the emotional vampires and is surviving on the skills that I tried to pass on.
      Soooo, give a gift of the $10 Budget, recipes, and maybe the ingredients to one of those meals. It’ll go a long, long waygiggle smiley

MrsPaws

-Excellent- idea!! Think I may do that for Christmas this year. Thank you for the idea!
      Come to think about it, I can either help 2 families on a $10 budget or one for a $20 budget.
      AND I’m still giving some myo food mixes, home canned jams, jellies, or preserves for several friends. 🙂
      There’s even a few myo hba’s I’m gonna try for myself and a couple family members too.

sandy63

I have started writing out menus for two week periods again. I use a lot less money and even cook less when I know ahead of time what is going to be fixed I can fix a lot of things ahead of time also. I like to make one or two dessert items for the week. Then my husband isn’t always asking me what he can have. He just looks at the schedule on the fridge. I have tried doing schedules for a month at a time but that is just two far ahead for me. I like to shop the specials at the store to save money. I am so sorry for your hardship but admire the way you still think of and give to others. I always find putting myself out for others makes my worries seem a little less urgent.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.