Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Breadmachine Hamburger/Hot Dog Buns

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

courtesy RecipeSource

1/2 c water
      1/2 c milk
      1 egg
      1 T butter or marg
      3/4 tsp salt
      3 1/4 c bread flour
      2 T sugar
      1 tsp herb* thyme, sweet basil, oregano,rosemeary or Italian seasoning
      (your choice)
      2 tsp yeast

add ingredients to machine in order given by manufacturer. Select dough cycle, when complete remove to lightly floured surface. If needed, knead in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.

If too elastic, cover and let rest 10 min. Divide dough into 9 equal pieces. Form each piece into smooth ball and place on large greased baking sheet.

Flatten balls into 4 inch rounds, cover and let rise in warm, draft free place until doubled in size about 20-30 min. Lightly beat 1 egg white and water. Brush on buns (sprinkle with sesame seed, optional).

Bake at 375 for 12-15 min. until lightly browned.
      Hot dog buns, shape into 6 inch long,tapering ends.

I have stopped buying hot dog and hamburger buns since this is so easy to make. For just the 2 of us I use 1 batch and divide into 8 portions and make 4 hamburger and 4 hot dog buns. When cool, slice and pop in zip lock and freeze.

This makes hot dog and hamburger lunches for us once a week for 2 weeks. I’m finding I like these better than the store bought. ( I save my egg white & water for the next batch)

i would love to make this right now….. but live in Michigan and it’s so cold here i think the dough would run and hide in stead of rise

Quote:
      i would love to make this right now….. but live in michigan and it’s so cold here i think the dough would run and hide in stead of rise

let me know if it does find a warm place to hide, lol 🙂

I saved this in my recipies!!

Wow Suey, I feel honored.

Instead of buying buns for just me, I have been using regular sliced bread for burgers or hot dogs. It would be so nice to have actual buns. The freezer in my refrigerator is too small to fill with things like bread.

Thank you so much for this post.

I have a “from scratch” recipe but don’t use cause it makes too many and my hands don’t like kneading(arthritis) This bread machine recipe is just perfect for the two of us!! Wonder how it would be to add minced or chopped onion for onion rolls? Love onion rolls for cheeseburgers-yum!!

bet adding onions would work great! Might even want to add in a little dry onion soup mix with it!

Onions sound great,I might try sprinkling them on top over the eggwhite wash on the hamburger buns next time. I throw 1/4 c dried minced onion into my white bread and increase the water by 1T sometimes when I want to kick it up a little, good flavor, not too strong, hadn’t thought about on the buns though. You guys are so creative.

Do it the McDonald’s onion way — rehydrated dried onions (dried onions placed in some hot water until rehydrated)

I am still looking for a bread machine, thanks for the great recipe!!

These are great, made them today. Didnt put any herbs in them though thanks for the recipe this one is a keeper

mmmmmm this is a great idea!!!!!!!! thank you!

Glad you liked them mdowdy.
      For the one and two person households, you may want to do what I did last week. Divided dough in half, made 2 good sized subrolls out of half of it, used other half for 2 hot dog buns and 2 hamburger buns. Perfect for the 2 of us.

(forgot to try dried onion on top of the hamburger buns, meant to do that)

Sub rolls are a perfect idea. I make killer sub-sandwiches & panines. It would be great to have homemade rolls also.

I need to stop reading things like this at bedtime when it’s too late to eat!!!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Breadmachine Hamburger/Hot Dog Buns