Budget101 Discussion List Archives Product Opinions & Questions Bread Machines versus Oven Baked?

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author

I’m contemplating getting a Bread machine, but am unsure about whether or not to do so. I have baked bread in the oven (it’s been awhile) and while perusing some of the recipes here, have some questions about the adaptability of old fashioned bread recipes and the newer ones I see that are listed specifically for Bread machines.

For instance, I noticed that one recipe called for “Bread flour” – just how different is Bread flour than regular flour? I know that my ancestors didn’t have specific flour for specific purposes so am a little confused.

It also looks like the ingredients for “Bread Machine” bread, are a bit more expensive than the ingredients listed in my mother’s cookbook for oven baked bread.

Can someone illuminate me in the differences? The main reason I am even thinking about getting one is that the temperature in our house seems to not be conducive to having bread rise and I tend to stick my bowl with dough in the oven on a low temperature to get it to rise.

Thanks!

Keymaster

Bread flour is a High Gluten Flour (it contains barley flour and a bit of Vit c) which gives it greater elasticity and the ability to retain gas as the dough rises.

I loved my bread machine, but I burnt it out way too quickly. it is much easier to bake bread from scratch and have 2-4 loaves at a time instead.

What you can do,if you are experiencing rising issues, is to preheat your oven to 200F. Mix Your dough, place it in a greased bowl, shut off the oven, add a bread pan half full of hot (boiling water) to the back of the oven, and place your dough in the oven to rise. This is a super easy way to make dough rise fast and yummy!

I do this when I make bread, pizza, yeast rolls, etc. It controls the heat/humidity conditions and gives the perfect dough.

If you do Opt for a bread machine, I recommend checking goodwill, you can often find them for $5. a whack. Great buy if you only want a small loaf.

Also, check out Bread machine Mixes on the site for lots of different recipes you can make. 🙂

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of the bowl of water in the oven part.

Participant

I don’t have the time to knead, let rise, knead, etc. that a regular loaf of bread requires.

I use my bread machine like I use my slow cooker, as a way to make something without having to spend so much time making it. For example, I can put together a dinner in the slow cooker and the ingredients for a loaf of bread in the bread machine in the morning & set it to be ready at dinner time; then when I get home after picking the kids up from school I have the time to help them, clean the house a bit, etc. instead of spending 30-60 mins.

making dinner.

I don’t think the loaves made in the machine are nearly as good as the loaves I used to make by hand pre-children, but the convenience for me is an advantage over the taste. Someday I’d like to make some loaves from scratch again. It was a great way to pass the time when my husband was working retail on a Saturday and I was snowed in the apartment.

I try to make as many whole wheat breads as I can, so my recipes often call for the addition of wheat gluten. This week we are enjoying a loaf of banana oatmeal bread that I set to have ready on Monday morning. And we are eating it with the strawberry jam I made Sunday night.

Delicious!

I use to have a bread machine, but have found that it really doesn’t take all that more time to do it from scratch because you can make more loaves at one time. I like to do my bread making over the weekend and have it for the whole week.

I use my bread machine in a pinch. You can only make one loaf at a time and we use 3 loaves a day! No one in my family likes it baked in the bread maker so I always have to use the mode to mix only then I put it in my own bread pan and bake.

I just gave my bread machine to my son at college– He thinks it’s awesome! I make him up mixes at home and deliver them once a month. He didn’t like the store bought mixes!

I use my daily dough kneading to relieve all my stress! If I was you I’d forget the bread machine and just keep putting it in the oven to raise!

I love my bread machine ~ put the ingredients in at night and set the timer for finish time & wake up to the aroma of freshly baked bread!!

when you have carpal tunnel or arthritis the breadmachine sure helps, not sure I could knead the 5 or 10 min by hand anymore. Just cooking for 2 now I also don’t cook more than one loaf at a time so I feel like I would have to find something else to bake if I used the oven. Used to bake in the oven all the time and like those loaves better (no hole in the bottom) but you just have to evaluate your own needs, for some the breadmachine is better.

OK, now I’m wanting to bake bread! 🙂

I wanted to buy a bread machine once I found this site. I was telling my MIL about it and she said she had one she could give me. I absolutley love it.

I mainly use if for the dough setting. I like the bread baked in the oven. the bread machine shape is weird.

I did once make english muffin bread and did the over night timer thing. That was pretty cool. Although the dog kept me up all night because he didn’t like the noise in the kitchen.

I haven’t bought frozen pizza since i got it. I just freeze 1/2 baked pizza crust. It’s the best.

Hole in the bottom of the bread issue. dh takes the dought out of the pan after it finishes kneading, takes the blade out, puts dough back in pan & lets it cook. ergo-no hole!

the hole doesn’t bother me but it bothers him. lol.

Thanks Margaret, never even thought of doing that, tell you DH he’s one smart fella.

My son just asked me what I would do without my gadgets? I answered that it would be tough but I would survive. The bread machine is one I use for the convenience especially for rolls and a quick loaf to go with a crock pot meal.

I do agree with others that if you have the time and energy, hand-made beats the machine in taste, shape and appeal. I sometimes do 6 hand-made loaves at a time and freeze. I buy my flour at Sams in bulk and freeze over 30mixes at a time.

This means a quick addition of the wet ingredients and the yeast. It’s great. I also got mine second hand for $5. It is a great addition to my kitchen.

I hope this helps.

I had a bread machine once, planned on using it, never did. I want to make our own brean, buns, english muffins (em’s are very expensive here in mn). but i am afraid to try, i can cook, but baking is another thing, i have never made anything containing yeast. i looked for the yeast packets at our local market (spendy), did not want to buy in bulk, not sure how fast i would use it.

i would love to try the oven method. mike would love to wake up to the smell (he talks about younger memories of his mom making it), my mom was a tastee buyer only.

I wouldn’t buy yeast at the grocery store, it’ll cost you more than a loaf of bread. Besides it takes just about 2 pkts per recipe. You can go to costco or sam’s club (warehouse stores) and buy 2 lbs.

( 1lb. each pkg) for about $5. It keeps 1 year in the freezer once opened.

unopened It’s even longer. I didn’t see the advantage to making homemade bread untill I found a cheap way to buy yeast. now I’ll try recipies and see if we like them.

Nicole in Ca

I am on the hunt for a bread machine….great tips yall!!

fleishman’s yeast sends me free coupons quarterly to get a 3 pack of yeast free. I go through 2 pounds of yeast a month so I give the free coupons to my son in college. If you don’t know how to make bread start with the bread machine and let it do the whole thing through baking following the instructions with your bread machine.

After you get the hang of that you can do it to stop just before the baking and use the dough to make in your own oven or make rolls, ect with. The most important thing in making bread is making sure the water is the right temperature! run it over your wrist until it feels warm not hot or cold and you should be ok.

Here’s their site if you want to join and get their newsletter that includes the free coupons!

Bread Brigade

@fosterfamily5 101151 wrote:

I wouldn’t buy yeast at the grocery store, it’ll cost you more than a loaf of bread. Besides it takes just about 2 pkts per recipe. You can go to costco or sam’s club (warehouse stores) and buy 2 lbs.

( 1lb. each pkg) for about $5. It keeps 1 year in the freezer once opened.

unopened It’s even longer. I didn’t see the advantage to making homemade bread untill I found a cheap way to buy yeast. now I’ll try recipies and see if we like them.

Nicole in Ca

Thanks, I guess I might have to break down and go get the Sam’s card.

@brchbell 101157 wrote:

fleishman’s yeast sends me free coupons quarterly to get a 3 pack of yeast free. I go through 2 pounds of yeast a month so I give the free coupons to my son in college. If you don’t know how to make bread start with the bread machine and let it do the whole thing through baking following the instructions with your bread machine.

After you get the hang of that you can do it to stop just before the baking and use the dough to make in your own oven or make rolls, ect with. The most important thing in making bread is making sure the water is the right temperature! run it over your wrist until it feels warm not hot or cold and you should be ok.

Here’s their site if you want to join and get their newsletter that includes the free coupons!

Bread Brigade

in addition, if you signup for this newsletter, you are automatically signed up for monthly drawings (you do not have to do anything). cool.

Quote:
      fleischmann’s yeast bread brigade america monthly sweepstakes official rules
      no purchase necessary.
      purchase will not increase your chances of winning.

to enter
      beginning midnight on december 1, 2004, each person currently registered as a Bread Brigade America member will automatically be entered into each monthly drawing.

This is a Monthly promotion with monthly drawings. The first drawing will be for the month ending December 31, 2004. Subsequent monthly drawings will be based on being a member by midnight on the fifteenth day of each month.

A new monthly period begins on the sixteenth day of each month and spans two calendar months (second half of former month and first half of latter month). Entry is limited to one entry per registered person per monthly promotion. We reserve the right to cancel monthly promotions with or without notice.

At times Bread Brigade America members may have, for certain actions other than purchase or payment, the opportunity to earn additional chances into the Sweepstakes beyond the one monthly entry. These extra opportunities to increase your chances will be posted and communicated in the monthly Knead to Know Newsletter e-mailed to members.

Eligibility
      This sweepstakes is open to Bread Brigade America members who are legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington D.C., and are 18 years of age or older, except for employees of ACH Food Companies, Inc., their affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, sales representatives, distributors, advertising and promotion agencies and the families or household members of each. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law.

Monthly Prizes
      One (1) Grand prize: An item subject to change, with an approximate retail value of $45.00. One (1) Second Prize: An item subject to change, with an approximate retail value of $37.50. One (1) Third Prize: An item subject to change, with an approximate retail value of $30.00.

One (1) Fourth Prize: An item subject to change, with an approximate retail value of $20.00. Prizes are non-transferable and may not be substituted except at Sponsor’s discretion or as otherwise provided herein. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if an advertised prize becomes unavailable.

All Federal, State and Local taxes and any other expense related to the use of these prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner(s).

Winner
      Prize Winners will be selected from all eligible members in a random drawing on or about the end of each calendar month. Sweepstakes drawing is conducted by Promotion Mailing Center, Inc. (an independent judging agency) whose decisions on all matters relating to this sweepstakes shall be final.

Odds of winning depend upon the number of members at time of drawing. Winners will be notified by e-mail and/or regular mail.

General Rules
      ach food companies, inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, sales representatives, distributors, advertising and promotion agencies are not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the sweepstakes, or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of entries, including any late, lost, delayed, illegible, incomplete, or misdirected entries; for technical, hardware or software failures or errors of any kind; lost or unavailable network connections; or incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions. ach food companies, inc. reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel or suspend this sweepstakes should virus, bugs or other causes beyond its control corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the sweepstakes.

all entries become the property of ach food companies, inc.

acceptance of prize constitutes permission for sponsor to use winner’s name and likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. return of any prize or prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of alternate winner. prize winner must claim prize within seven (7) days of first attempted notification or prize may be forfeited.

By participating, entrants agree to be bound by the official rules and decisions of the Judges, which are final. By accepting prize, winner agrees to release Sponsor, its directors, employees, officers, and agents, including without limitation, its advertising and promotion agencies, from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any prize-related activities.

Winners List
      Monthly winners names will be made available in the member-only Knead To Know Newsletter following the winner’s confirmations

I absolutely love my bread machine. It solves my problem of a drafty kitchen for rising etc. Not to mention all I have to do is throw in the ingredients and wait for the beep to let me know its done.

I also use it for the dough setting etc my yeast rolls are now about twice as big as they were before.

@jkpjohnson 101186 wrote:

Thanks, I guess I might have to break down and go get the Sam’s card.

You might want to track down a friend who has a Sam club Card and arrange to go with them so you’ll know if it’s worth it or not. If you will only want a few things like yeast your friend might be willing to pick it up when you request and you can pay them for it. I do that for a couple friends.

One only wants laundry soap quarterly and another wants Spaghetti Sauce mix a couple times a year. If you want more than a few items a year get your own card other wise let a friend get it for you. I keep my yeast in the freezer and keep dates on everything so it gets rotated through.

Sam’s just had a huge price increase. I usually buy in bulk from other places and might have to find my honey and yeast elsewhere. Beans and flour there doubled this last month.

glad I had a years supply already laid in. Now I can shop for lower prices or wait for the price to drop.

Hate to hear about that Sam’s price increase. I get my yeast, spices and other baking supplies from there and had some on my to buy list for this month. bummer!!!!!

you might want to check your local club prices, you can do this on the Sams website under select a club. We haven’t been hit with the increase yet. Hope we don’t soon I will be going in a couple weeks to get my baking stuff.

My prices are showing the same I paid last time which was over two months ago on these items

I had just been there 2 weeks ago and then made a very fast run through when we made our special trip up to do Fazoli’s. Was glad I went and looked a little instead of just grabbing and running. I usually have them pull my stuff but the last few month’s I’ve run through and grabbed myself.

This coming time I will do it online so I know ahead of time what the prices are. I noticed the commissary prices were going up also but not enough to cause me to jump back and gasp like I did yesterday at Sam’s! I didn’t check everything just that run for trash bags and ran down the baking section and saw the bean and flour prices.

I better not hear anyone screaming that using grains for fuel is driving the prices up! It is costing us money to harvest our wheat, corn and soy beans this year. Uncle Sam will give us enough to start with next year but we got nothing for this years harvest. We had a harvest but no one wanted it.

Farmers in my area are getting very creative with what to do with this years harvest. We’ve put off harvesting corn and beans until now and keep hoping the price will go up but it hasn’t. I bought 5 ton of hard red wheat from my neighbor and canned it all. It was really good wheat for bread.

Worked out to $5 for 50lb. That was all he could get so he offered it to anyone else who wanted it for the price he could get. Dry packed wheat last forever so we got a wonderful supply.

Years ago with 5 kids I made 3 loaves one day and skipped a day then 5 loaves skip and repeat.

My hands and the carpal tunnel were killing me. So I bought an Oster *this is close to 25+ years ago* Mixer normally it was $149 .. I found it at local salvage type store for $119, it killed me to pay that much but I did.

One of the best investments I can think of. Its still going.

I did buy a bread maker a few years back thinking “gee I miss homemade bread” (we were down to a few kids and they were allergic to reg wheat etc .. What a pain, the amount of time to make up the dough I could have done more loaves. I hated the hole.

One loaf is nothing – lets face it you have been smelling it and when it comes out you want fresh hot bread with butter NOW. With one loaf it just doesn’t last.

We now are down to Bert & I, and Jake (ds) I still think one loaf is not enough. I need to find my 3 loaf recipe and start making bread again

Ria

cold house rising:
      my kitchen area is usually freezing .. bring your bread in bowl into the warmest area of the house and put on top of a shelf (one the cats don’t use)

nuke water and put in the microwave.

bread will rise even in the fridge it just takes a long time .. schedule the bread rising extra time

hot pad and towels

add extra yeast or sourdough starter

ria

YEAST:
      I always proof my yeast before adding to the flour .. I have yeast that is 7 years old that is fine .. I have also bought some that is brand new and didn’t do squat.

**Another reason to always proof your yeast

**to proof toss yeast water and T of flour in large plastic tub, let sit can also toss in a little sugar or honey if in a rush .. after a while it will get bubbly – this means the yeast is fine (to be honest I don’t worry about this anymore with the nyt recipe ’cause even if the yeast was a dud – its so little, tossing in a bit more is not a lot of $$)

if you make up the ny times recipe for the no knead bread – its pretty much a sourdough starter .. its a very very wet dough .. you can actually add a bit of it to your reg bread to boost the yeast action

nyt one ball loaf only no knead bread *(more or less – by memory and how i do it)
      i use recycled deli containers (thick white plastic) you can start one each day so you have fresh bread every day .. btw when you dump out the dough you will have a bit stuck to sides – you can just start another load of dough in the same container no wash (its like passing on sourdough to the next loaf)

1/4 t yeast (not a typo) (one jar of yeast will make over 100 loaves)
      1 1/2 C of water (warm)
      3 C flour (mix it) (supposedly 1# of flour is 7 C I don’t believe thats what I got out of it – think its closer to the heavy 6 C measurement, I actually bought a 1# container to check)
      salt if you use it

Use a silicon or rubber spatula mix in the plastic tub (I use a big container potato salad came in) Let sit 12-18 hours (even more if you want)

Flip out on oatmeal or flour covered towel put in ball shape (it’ll slump)for about 2-4 hours ..

1/2 hour preheat the oven at 450 with the glass covered casserole, deep dish whatever .. no greasing

remake the ball shape, pull out bowl/pot, flip the dough in the dish/covered pot, put lid back on stick in oven .. cook 25 mins, take off cover, cook another 15-20 mins –

1 ball loaf of bread with very crusty outside

Ria

Thanks Ria that was great! You make a great teacher! I agree, 1 loaf is not enough!

We always cut up the 1st loaf straight out of the oven nice and hot and if we’re all home at the time it’ll be 2 loaves! I make 3 or 4 loaves each time and if I’m lucky we have bread the 2nd day but not very often!

Brchbell,
      Do you have a bulk recipe? for 3-4 loaves – still can’t find mine

Ria

Ok I only make whole wheat bread now that I grind as I go. Here is the recipe I’ve been using for several months:

1 Wondermill grinder 6 cups of Red Hard Wheat kernels to grind into flour
      2 tablespoons sea salt
      2 tablespoons Saf Yeast
      3 tablets of vitamin C (to grind with the wheat)
      1 tablespoon cooking oil ( for kneading)
      ½ cup of powdered milk
      ½ cup Oats
      ½ cup vegetable oil
      ½ cup of honey
      ½ cup Vital Wheat Gluten
      Bread Start to Finish
      There is nothing as comforting a food as fresh homemade bread. And it’s really quite simple to make. All you need are the proper tools and a great attitude.

There are 3 basic steps: Grinding Mixing and Baking
      Let’s start with step one: Grinding

I start with 6 cups of wheat kernels straight from my bucket. And to that I add, into my hopper.
      3 vitamin C tables, which is 1500 milligrams of vitamin C, which is a natural dough enhancer. It is simply Ascorbic Acid and it gives your bread that loft and that yummy texture that you love.

So I am going to put this in the hopper and in just a second I will have my fresh flour for step 2.

Step 2: Mixing
      Let’s get started:
      I’ll start with about 4 cups of warm water.
      To that I’ll add a ½ a cup of a whole bunch of ingredients:
      Start with powdered milk.
      Regular oats.
      Next I put in some vegetable oil, just a ½ a cup.
      And then I add my honey. This is a great natural sweetener.
      I’ll then add, three cups of freshly ground whole wheat flour.
      Now I’ll turn it (the bread mixer) on and let it do its thing. Once it is nice and smooth and bubbly, I’ll be sure to add my yeast. Now I am very particular about my yeast, and I only use Saf Yeast®.

The reason I like this is because the shelf life is so long. This can actually stay 8 years on my shelf or in the freezer almost indefinitely. It comes in hard block like this, and you can probably find it in a supermarket.

Once I cut the seal, it turns into this fabulous instant yeast that’s easy for me to put in my bread (dough). So I add that in, 2 tablespoons.
      And also I put in some Vital Wheat Gluten. Now you remember that I talked about vitamin C, that was our dough enhancer that should help give our bread the loft and the fluffiness that we love.

But if you happen to have wheat that is less than perfect in the quality and protein, and you want to beef it up a bit. This gives it a great texture. You’ll love this.

It is just a ½ a cup of gluten flour, and can usually find it at your local grocery store. I’ll add that in as well.
      We are almost done. We have one more ingredient.
      You want to make sure you knead this again, about one or two minutes, until it’s smooth.
      And then I’ll add 2 tablespoons of sea salt.

This is another thing I am very particular about, because it has the natural iodine I love so much.
      At the end I’ll add 4 or 5 more cups of my freshly ground wheat flour.
      You’ll know that your dough is just right once you put in enough flour that you can start seeing the bottom of your bread bowl (the mixing bowl).
      If you put in too much your bread bowl gets too blight and brittle and you keep worrying about that.

But if you only add as much as tell you in the recipe, you’ll come out with a beautiful dough. It will be sticky when you start mixing it, but give it a good 10 minutes and it will be this beautiful thing. When you come back, you will see that the dough has cleaned the sides of the bowl, and we are ready to shape our loaves.
      Well now we are on to step 3, and can you believe it!, we only started about 12 minutes ago!

Now that you let this mix for about 12 minutes it’s nice and smooth elastic. It feels so good and smells fabulous.
      You can see that it cleaned all the sides of the bowl and I didn’t touch it once.

Now we are ready to shape our loaves.
      Now in order to let this dough rise properly, you want to make sure to pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees (Do not leave the oven on after pre-heating, turn off the over before placing your bread loaves in.).
      You won’t cover your loaves.
      Once it is 150 degrees you’ll take your loaves in your pans (bread baking pans) and you place them in your oven. You let them sit there about 30 minutes. They will rise double, and then we will go ahead and bake them.
      To bake the loaves, simply turn the over up to 350 degrees and bake for 40 t0 45 minutes or until golden brown.
      Let me show you how easy it is to shape the loaves: We’ll just pull this dough right out of our mixer.

It should all come out in one nice glob. Just like that. Now I take just a dab of oil, about a tablespoons or less.

And I put on my kitchen counter and I give it a good knead by hand. This helps it be nice and smooth and it helps it rise without any stretch mark. Then, I take my knife, and I divide it into three sections.

Just like this.
      So give it a quick spray (spray the bread baking pans), and we are ready to shape the loaves. So all you will do, is you’ll just roll them up like this. There is no science to this.

Pat a little bit in the end, and flop it in the pan, just like that! Let’s try it one more time, just put it to bed! The third time is the charm!…and there you go.

These are going go into my 150 degrees oven. And I’ll be back in a half an hour.
      Just a quick note: You pre-heated your oven to 150 degrees, once it reaches that, put your loaves in and turn off the oven.

After the loaves have risen in the oven, turn the oven back on to 350 degrees and bake the loaves for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.

Now look at these beautiful loaves of bread that you’ve just pulled out of the oven. In less than an hour, you too can bake bread from scratch, at home.
      this recipe comes from a great site I use:

SimplyLivingSmart Training and Preparedness Community-simplylivingsmart

Click the Welcome, Beginners link and then down on the right side are video lessons. choose food storage and then wheat and breads to watch Her make this awesome 100% whole wheat bread. It was a lot easier than the recipe I was using so I use this one now.

I loved her tip of using Vit c to grind in with the wheat!

I pay the $9.95 a month to take their live classes also but a lot of the site is free. Watch the videos on beans! the bean burgers really work- my picky eaters never knew they were eating beans and beef together!

Here’s a recipe I got from my Amish neighbor:

Anna’s Honey Oat Bread

2 1/2 cups boiling Water
      2 cups oatmeal
      1 cup Honey
      2 cups whole wheat flour or more
      3/4 cup oil
      4 beaten eggs
      2 T. yeast
      2 T. salt

dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water. Pour boiling water over the oatmeal and set aside to cool until lukewarm. Mix all ingredients and beat well.

then add the yeast, being sure everything is just warm before adding. work in enough unbleached or bread flour to make a nice spongy dough that is not sticky. Grease top and let rise.

Knead and make loaves and rise again. Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

A delicious, nourishing bread.

I usually get 4 loaves out of this. My family loves this to make toast out of.

I used to use mine all the time….haven’t for months. Mom uses her all the time but uses the machine to mix and first kneeding, she takes it out and lets it rise in bread pans, bakes it and it turns out like homemsde bread. I find the breadmaker bread is heavy, not bad for the whole grain or pumpernicle but I’m a white bread girl.

Im not having a problem with heaviness with my bread out of the bread machine. I find if I put the crust on light it turns out almost just like the store bought. I use all purpose instead of bread flour, could that be the difference?

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Product Opinions & Questions Bread Machines versus Oven Baked?