- December 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm #289491BellyJeanParticipant
2 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. sugar
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 C. shortening
1 C. buttermilk
1 egg, well beaten
1 T. molasses
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger in large bowl.cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. reserve 1/2 cup mixture for topping; set aside.
Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Add buttermilk mixture, egg, molasses and salt to flour mixture; blend well.
Pour into greased 11 x 7-inch baking pan. Top with reserved topping mixture. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool completely on wire rack. cut into 2 inch squares.
Makes 18 servings.
- March 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm #429792
Omg! Perfect recipe for my leftover buttermilk from making bread last week. It’s in the oven now.
Smells fantastic!! I do not plan on waiting for breakfast to eat it.
- March 25, 2011 at 1:44 am #429794FreebieQueenModerator
How’d it come out?? Is it super yummy?? Did you get a photo? lol
- March 25, 2011 at 3:31 am #429793
- March 25, 2011 at 4:26 am #429791
Ok. My son just said it tastes like something from Starbucks. Oh yeah, this ones a keeper!
I think next time I’ll mix in a little brwn sugar with the topping.
- March 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm #429810LissKeymaster
Yum, that sounds like a great idea, love the photos too!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.