- This topic has 0 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated August 6, 2016 at 12:52 am by .
- August 5, 2016 at 2:04 pm #326342
This blueberry pie jello dessert is also known as Blueberry salad. It originates back in the 60’s or so when Jell-O was king of all dishes.It’s quick & easy to throw together and is a light, refreshing dessert.
– all the flavor of delicious blueberry pie in a refreshing salad-style dessert
Blueberry Pie Jello Dessert
1 can (16-ounces) crushed pineapple (reserved drained juice)**
1 cup boiling water
2 boxes (3 ounces) of grape or berry-blue jell-o gelatin (can substitute sugar-free jell-o)*…
1 can (16-ounces) blueberry pie filling
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, washed
1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a one (1) cup measuring cup, transfer the pineapple juice. Fill the rest of the cup to the top with boiling water.
- Pour the gelatin into the pineapple juice/boiling water mixture and stir until the crystals are completely dissolved. Add crushed pineapple and blueberry pie filling. Stir to combine.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into a 9- by 13-inch pan.
- Cover and refrigerate until firmly set. The salad can be ready to serve in 2 to 3 hours or leave overnight. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Spread the creamed cheese topping over the set blueberry filling approximately 30 minutes before serving.
- Add fresh blueberries and chopped nuts to garnish.
- Desserts made with gelatin should be stored in a covered container to prevent the formation of a rubbery surface.
Cream Cheese Topping
1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, softened and chopped into blocks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- The amount of sugar can be adjusted to taste if necessary.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in refrigerator until the above Blueberry Jell-O mixture is set. The topping can also be made right before you are ready to serve the salad.
Blueberry Salad Tips
* In a pinch you can substitute Raspberry or blackberry flavored gelatin.
Alternative Salad flavor: to prepare a cherry version, substitute cherry flavored gelatin and cherry pie filling.
Regarding the Pineapple, Do not use fresh pineapple as it contains protein-splitting enzymes that will prevent the gelatin from properly setting. In short, you’ll have a runny mess on your hands!
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- August 6, 2016 at 12:52 am #445700
Pineapples, blueberries, pecans, oh my! how many people can i serve this scrumptious sounding dish to?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.