- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated September 7, 2008 at 6:31 am by .
- September 7, 2008 at 6:31 am #262577
shake things up a bit in the morning on weekends and serve fresh, colorful corn bread for breakfast! good with butter and/or jam or with bacon and eggs. have what’s leftover with dinner;-)
bit o’red corn bread:060:
3 cups coarsely ground cornmeal (can use fine ground)
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp herbal substitute (i use mrs. dash)
2 cups boiling water
3 tbs safflower oil
1 cup low-fat milk or soymilk
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute, or 1 egg, beaten
2 tbs honey
1 tbs baking powder
in large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, bell pepper and salt substitute. stir in water and oil. let stand 40 min until cornmeal is soft and water is absorbed (don’t have to do this if using fine ground).
mix in remaining ingredients.
2. preheat oven to 400°. SPRAY 8″ square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray and warm in oven for 1 min.
remove pan from oven and pour in batter.
3. bake corn bread for 30 TO 40 min, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. cool completely before cutting into wedges or squares.
makes 9 SERVINGS = 241 CALORIES
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.