- This topic is empty.
- August 17, 2020 at 2:54 pm #586893
Bienenstich Kuchen* (aka Bee Sting Cake)
For the Pastry Cream:
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/2 vanilla bean
2 eggs, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
3 tbs all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
For the Cake:
2 tsp instant yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbs all-purpose flour
7 1/2 tbs butter
2 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 cup milk, lukewarm but not hot
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
For the Almond Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
9 tbs butter
2 cups almond, slices or slivers
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Make the Pastry Cream
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine half-and-half with 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla. stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and egg yolk with 3 tbs of flour and 1/4 tsp salt until smooth.
- Temper the egg mixture by adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup hot half-and-half mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly. Then stir the egg mixture into the rest of the half-and-half in the saucepan in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Keep stirring until mixture starts to thicken but do not let it boil. When it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove it from heat and pour into a bowl which has been set on top of a bowl of ice cubes. Stir several times.
- Place plastic wrap over the pastry cream so that it touches the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- When the pastry cream has cooled down some, remove it from the ice bath and store it in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- Just before assembling the cake, incorporate the 1 cup of heavy whipping cream into the cold pastry cream.
Make the Cake Dough
- In a large bowl, whisk together instant yeast and flour.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat 7 1/2 tbs butter with 2 1/2 tbs honey until just melted. Stir in lukewarm milk, add 1 egg and 1/2 tsp salt, and whisk well. This mixture should have a temperature of 100°.
- Add liquids to the bowl of flour and mix on low in a stand mixer (or with a wooden spoon) until shaggy dough forms.
- Knead until the dough becomes smooth and pliable and comes away from the bowl. Form dough into a ball, oil the surface, and place in a clean bowl. Cover with a clean cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 40 min to an hour or until doubled in bulk.
Make the Almond Topping
In the meantime, make the almond topping by placing 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup honey, and 9 tbs butter in a small saucepan.
Heat and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue boiling for several minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn.
Add the almonds and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, stirring to coat. Remove from heat and cool until lukewarm.
Bake the Cake
- Heat oven to 350°. Coat 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Roll the risen dough out into a 13 x 9-inch rectangle. Place the dough in the pan, pushing to the edges and making the edges slightly higher than the middle.
- Spread the lukewarm almond topping evenly over the top of the dough.
- Bake 45 to 50 min. Test for doneness with a toothpick. Remove from oven and let the cake cool completely. Then remove the entire cake, carefully using 2 spatulas, to a wax paper coated surface or cutting board.
Assemble the Cake
- Whip 1 cup heavy whipping cream until very stiff, but stop whipping before it becomes clumpy and starts to turn into butter.
- Stir 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cold pastry cream to lighten it, then carefully fold the rest into the pastry cream trying not to deflate the volume.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the cake horizontally all the way through. Remove the top half and set aside.
- Spread all of the pastry cream over the bottom of the cake. Place the top back on the cake.
At this point, it can be served immediately or place in the refrigerator, which helps the pastry cream set up. Serves 24
*Bee Sting Cake
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.