- January 14, 2009 at 2:45 am #269398
Best Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Makes about 8 servings
1 can white beans
1 can kidney beans
1/2 cup lentils, cooked
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1 large can (about 28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 cups yellow or red onion, finely chopped
1 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup diced carrots
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup vegetable broth
Extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a large pot, saute onion, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Add vegetable broth, white beans, kidney beans, bulgur wheat, lentils, and crushed tomatoes. Allow all ingredients to get close to boiling, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, or until bulgur wheat is tender.
Serve and enjoy this best vegetarian chili while it’s hot – it goes nicely with a crisp green salad and a slice of fresh bread. Freeze leftovers, as it’s even better a day or two later.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.