- December 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm #268362
1 1/2 lb 1-in. cubes beef chuck (for stew)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cans (about 14 oz each) beef broth
1 large onion, sliced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
3 lb small sweet potatoes
1 lb each carrots and parsnips
3 ribs celery
1 Tbsp stick butter
1/4 tsp salt
1. Position racks to divide oven in thirds. Heat to 325°F.
2. Coat beef with flour. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown. Add broth, onion and garlic; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and place stew on one oven rack, potatoes on other rack. Bake 30 minutes.
3. Cut carrots, parsnips and celery into 1-in. lengths; stir into stew. Cover and bake 45 minutes or until tender when pierced.
4. Peel potatoes and mash with butter and salt. Bake and serve or cool, cover separately and refrigerate up to 3 days.
5. To serve: Heat oven to 400°F. Skim fat off stew, then spoon into a shallow 3 1/2-qt baking dish; spread potatoes over top. Bake 50 minutes or until bubbly around edges and hot in center.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.