- August 24, 2008 at 6:27 am #262034
you may be asking yourself why is this in breakfast ideas? well, so you can make the dough in advance, refrigerate, and have ready to make breakfast pizza! this makes enough to make several small, individual pizzas or a couple of large pizzas — one for breakfast and one for dinner with a salad a few days later!
basic pizza crust
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 tsp active dry yeast
about 3 1/4 cups unbleached flour (or a combination of unbleached and whole wheat)
1 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil
HEAT 1/4 cup water to about 100° (tests warm, not hot, on your wrist), pour into a medium-sized bowl and let cool until lukewarm. sprinkle in yeast and 1 tablespoon of flour, and set in a warm, draft-free spot for several minutes, until it appears slightly bubbly.
2. add remaining 1 cup water and stir in a cup or so of flour to form a thick batter.
cover and set aside for about 1 hr, until the batter is light and spongy.
3. stir in salt and oil. gradually stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough that pulls away from sides of bowl and balls up in the center.
turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 TO 15 min. sprinkle remaining flour under the dough only as necessary to keep it from sticking to the surface.
5. form dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bread bowl, turning to coat all surfaces.
cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 1 TO 2 hrs, until dough does not spring back when lightly pressed.
6. knead dough briefly, then return to bowl for another rise, about 1 TO 2 HRS.
7. shape dough according to the pizza recipe of choice.
if you’re not ready to prepare the pizza, form dough into a ball and refrigerate in a lightly greased, covered bowl for several hours or up to 2 days and then shape.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.