Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Basic Homemade White Bread

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

This is the simplest bread recipe that I make. It’s cheap dough, so if you mess it up it doesn’t hurt too bad. Practice makes perfect but I will include a few tips to try and make it easier for you.

I use my kitchen aid to mix and kneed this dough. You can do it by hand if do not have a stand mixer.

Mix together:

6 cups flour
      2 tsp salt
      4 Tbsp sugar
      4 tsp active dry yeast

Add in 2 Tbsp oil and 2 cups warm water. Mix well, till sticky and flour is all wet. Kneed for five minutes.

Don’t stop. A full five minutes.

Place dough in a bowl sprayed with no-stick spray (I just take it out of the mixer’s bowl, spray the bowl, and put it back in). Cover with plastic wrap loosely and put it on top of your stove. right in the middle-ish.

leave it there for two hours to double in size. hint…put a small pot on to boil. whenever i make bread in the cooler months, i boil a cinnamon stick and a few cloves in a small pot of water.

it adds warm steam to the area where the bread is rising and smells yummy.

when it’s doubled in size, punch it down and squeeze out all the air. grease two 9 x 5 inch bread pans. Divide the dough in half, placing half in each pan.

Cover with greased plastic wrap and put it back on the stove to double again. The second rise should take about an hour and a half.

When they’ve doubled in size, put them in the oven. Set it at 350 and bake for 30 minutes. To check for doneness, take the bread out of the pan and thump it.

It should sound hollow.

Let it cool, then slice it gently with a serrated knife.

This recipe is very light and airy and reminds me a lot of store-bought white bread.

Michelle,

Thanks for the recipe, this one looks like the one my Mother used to have me make. Thanks again…I haven’t made this one in years. But I will — we also used this recipe to make pizza dough.

The last punching down we would size it to a pizza pan, thinner of course, then add our sauce and other items for the pizza.

Yep! Also good for dinner rolls, and made a little sweeter it makes for great sweet dough, too.

Can you do this in a bread machine?

I’ve never tried. I suppose if you had a huge machine, or if you divided the recipe, you could,.

Wow this is truly an answer to my prayers I tried another so called white braead recipe and it was like tasteless slop !!! LOL I really hope this one will be what I have been looking for.

lol…

well in my opinion, all white bread is pretty much tasteless, but this one resembles store-bought, and is great for french toast, grilled cheese, and all the things you use white bread for.

we usually stick to whole grain breads, but white bread has its uses. :d

This sounds like the bread my Scottish grandmother used to make. She also made dinner rolls with it. Delicious.

Yep, you can do this in the bread machine, makes a good loaf of bread, I’ll list what the measurments are for the machine according to my book.
      for a 1.5lb loaf
      1 c & 2Tbl water 80 degree
      1 1/2 Tbl oil
      2 Tbl sugar
      1 1/2 tsp salt
      3 1/4 c bread flour
      1 3/4 tsp yeast
      the recipe in my book also adds 1 1/2 Tbl dry milk, I’ve never made it leaving that out, but will obmit it in the next loaf since the recipe DohDohBird posted doesn’t call for milk.
      (for variation I’ve added in 1/4 c dried minced onion and increased the water by 1 Tbl, which makes a good sandwich bread)

DohDohBird, I had a friend tell me of a great way for your bread to come out the same every time. She said to put the sugar and yeast together in the warm water, and let it set for a bet. You start to see the bubbles forming on top of the water.

The yeast feds off of the sugar and starts to come alive, so to speak. Then add the oil, salt and flour. I’ve did this, and my bread always comes out the same everytime.

She was telling me that if you add your salt to soon, it will kill the yeast. I didn’t know that myself, about adding the salt to soon. I love having friends with great tips.

Thanks! I just got a Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas/Birthday! I’ve been looking for recipes to try with it!

Doh Doh… I used this recipe and it turned out FABULOUS!!!!!!!!
      I took pics and they are in my profile album. 🙂

thanks so much… I have 2 questions :

1- can I just add honey for a sweeter bread? If not, what can I add to make it a sweet bread?

2- can I halve the recipe for 1 loaf? 2 is too many for our house to eat.

Avatar for DohDohBirdKawaiiGiggle
      Participant

man.. i really need a bread machine.

Kawaiigiggle- I actually enjoyed the bread made without using the breadmaker better. 😉

want mine? ;D

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Basic Homemade White Bread