- June 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm #307195
4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (I used corn meal mix-worked fine)
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400. In a large skillet cook bacon just until it begins to crisp. Drain and reserve drippings. Return 2 tsp drippings to skillet. For scrambled eggs, in a small bowl beat three of the eggs, 2 tbsp water, and a dash each of salt and pepper. Cook eggs in a hot skillet over medium heat without stirring until eggs begin to set on bottom and around edges. With a spatula, lift and fold for uncooked portion to flow underneath. Cook until set but still moist. Transfer to bowl; set aside.
2. Brush twelve 2 1/2 in muffin cups with some remaining bacon drippings. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Combine milk, oil, and remaining two eggs in bowl. Stir into flour mixture; Fold in scrambled eggs and cheese. Spoon into muffin cups. (cups will be full)
3. Place one bacon piece on each muffin. Bake 15-17 minutes or until light brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan on rack. Run a table knife around edges of muffins to loosen; remove from pan. Serve with syrup if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
To ensure tender muffins, stir the batter together just until combined but not completely smooth.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.