2 quarts water for soaking
      2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
      1 meaty ham bone plus leftover diced ham, as desired
      3 to 4 cups water, to cover
      1 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
      1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
      dash cayenne pepper
      salt, to taste
      Soak the lima beans overnight. Drain and put lima beans in the slow cooker. Add 3 to 4 cups of fresh water just to cover the beans and stir in the chopped onions and add the ham bone and ham.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. Add the Creole seasoning, black and cayenne peppers. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until very tender.
      Serves 8.
      2lbkos0 smilie

I love lima beans. This sounds really good. Thank You for putting it on here.

Participant

Me, too! LOL! And just so ya know, I’ve put the beans in the crockpot overnight with a ham bone and some broth with the water, then added the remaining ingredients the next morning after breakfast and more water/broth if necessary.

I have a crockpot with a timer just so that I can do things like this. I’m so lazy that most of the time, I prepare my beans/peas this way and not bother with the draining…never had a problem…just made a batch of lentil soup this way and it was yummy;-D

I Love using the slow cooker and hubby is wanting to try more dump recipes. He says they look really easy.LOL He likes to cook too and stuff like this would be easy for him. Everything put in one pot to cook.

Go about your business.

Participant

Hey! Put that man to work and turn him on to checking this site. There are a bunch of terrific ‘dump’ recipes here and some are minegiggle smiley

LOL..I am! I think I have noticed your name on a lot of them. He really wants dump deserts more…I think 🙂

I had ham and baby lima beans once, and loved it. Will definitely be making this. thank you.

Participant

grandmaof8…I have posted some interesting dessert ‘dump’ recipes, but there are many posted by others. If DH likes apples, put that in the search…I know that there are a ton of those!
      npitts…I hope that you try this simple recipe and let us know how you and your family enjoyed it!

So happy to find this easy recipe from another Raleigh area user. Good substitute for “split peas”.

Participant

Hey neighbor! I love beans period!! I’ve used all kinds of peas and beans with ham or pork for different recipes.

Right now I’m trying to perfect some recipes with garbanzo beans. That is, other than making hummus! LOL!

Have fun with the garbanzos! It will be a while until I graduate to those.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dump Recipes Baby Lima Beans with Ham