B101 Challenge: Share your Favorite Make-Ahead Breakfast Idea

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas B101 Challenge: Share your Favorite Make-Ahead Breakfast Idea

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Liss

b101-challenge-giveaways Welcome to our Budget101 Challenge Question!

Several of our members have grown tired of the same old cold cereal, toast or oatmeal for breakfast and they want some new ideas that can be made ahead of time for those quick- out the door, kind of mornings.

The Challenge Question is : What is your favorite Make-Ahead Breakfast idea/recipe? image not available

wondering how to play? hit the reply button and answer the challenge question! (seriously, that’s it)

what is the goodie giveaway for this challenge? A Tovolo Pancake Pen & Spatula Set

Learn More about Budget101 Challenges Here!

[b101][/b101]
      Sharivane

I just found these recipes for refrigerator oatmeal made in mason jars. Easy to make, healthy, and many different flavors. I actually made 12 with 4 different flavors and am anxious to be able to try them in the am.

Just grab and go!

Overnight, No-Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal

jhartbarger

The quickest and easiest way for my children to get a good breakfast is in cookie form. you can take a basic cookie recipe and add peanut butter, oatmeal and raisins, with a glass of milk you have something to go and easy.

Dreamcatcheramy

I just found this recipe last night and tried it this morning. They taste great!(I don’t use stevia or anything like that so I substituted honey as a sweetener.)

Baked Oatmeal Cupcakes To Go

(makes 24-25 cupcakes)

Adapted from: Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal.

5 cups rolled oats (400g)
      2 1/2 cups over-ripe mashed banana (For all substitutions, see nutrition link below) measured after mashing (600g)
      1 tsp salt
      5 NuNaturals stevia packets (or omit and use 5 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice–such as pure maple syrup or agave–instead)
      optional: 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
      2 2/3 cups water (640g) (If using the liquid-sweetener option, scale water back by 1/3 cup.)
      1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp oil (45g) (I really like coconut, but veg oil will also work. For lower-fat substitution notes, see nutrition link below.)
      2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
      optional add-ins: cinnamon, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, ground flax or wheat germ, raisins or other dried fruit, etc.

Preheat oven to 380 F, and line 24-25 cupcake tins. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine and stir all wet ingredients (including banana).

Mix wet into dry, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake 21 minutes. I also like to then broil for 1-2 minutes, but it’s optional. These oatmeal cakes can be eaten right away, or they can be frozen and reheated for an instant breakfast on a busy day.

View Nutrition Facts

bamo72

I make chocolate chip muffins on the weekend for all of us.

willowwend

When my kids were growing up, I would make a huge breakfast “pizza-like” casserole on Sunday. Once cooled, I cut it into slices, put the slices in individual zipped baggies, & stored them in the refrigerator.

Come crazy Monday (or any other day) morning, everyone could grab a baggie, throw the baggie in the microwave for a few seconds if desired, and out the door they went.

A hot, healthy, satisfying meal with no utensils & no clean-up necessary!

Breakfast “Pizza” Casserole

This is just one of many “Breakfast Pizza” creations I’ve made. Get inventive with your food ~ It’s fun!

6-8 slices Bread, crust removed & buttered on both sides (Save crusts to make homemade croutons, breadcrumbs, etc.)
      1 lb. Sausage, cooked in crumbles & drained
      8-12 Eggs
      1-2 Tbsp. Milk
      Black pepper, to taste
      8-12 oz.

Shredded Cheese, your choice

Preheat oven to 450. Spray a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. (I use a 10×15″ glass casserole & the larger ingredient amounts listed above.

Use smaller amounts listed if using a 9×13″ casserole/pan.)

Layer buttered bread in bottom of dish making sure entire bottom is covered. This will be your “pizza” crust.

Sprinkle sausage over bread.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, & pepper together. Pour over sausage.

Cover casserole with aluminum foil & bake approximately 30-45 minutes, or until eggs are well done.

Sprinkle cheese over casserole & return to oven. Continue cooking until cheese is melted & bubbly.

If serving immediately, let casserole cool 10 minutes before cutting.
      If preparing for the week, let casserole cool completely before cutting, packaging, & storing.

ckarol

I do make oatmeal most mornings but I like to jazz it up once in a while…pretty easy stuff I like to add fresh fruit about a 1/4 cup to cooked oatmeal about one serving ..if you add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla and a few chocolate chips in a bowl of oatmeal thats real yummy oh yes add a wee bit of cream too super yummy…

fosterfamily5

My new favorite thing to do is make a potato crusted frittata on sunday and slice it up to reheat in the mornings.

2 russet potatoes diced. (boil for 10 min and drain)

4 eggs. 1/4 c milk (mix together
      peppers,onions, broccoli, garlic, mushrooms, or whatever vegitable you have on hand
      shredded cheddar cheese

in a cast iron skillet fry potatoes in 1 tblsp olive oil.

Once crisp, use a potato masher to gently press into the pan to make a crust.

in another skillet sauté vegetables till soft, add egg mixture and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour on top of potato crusted skillet. top with cheese and put in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes till egg is cooked through.

I wrap slices in foil then put in toaster oven while I get read for work.

If I have time I’ll eat at home if not it’s ready to go and I can eat in the car on the way to work.

Jazzysmom

I don’t have a “make ahead” breakfast but my favorite “go to” breakfast is a homemade smoothie! Fast, lo cal, pretty filling and delicious! I do them like this:

1 small container yogurt – any flavor
      1/2 C milk or orange juice (depends on smoothie flavor you want)
      1 pkt sweetener or 1 tsp honey
      fruit of choice
      Blend all in blender – makes about 10 – 12 ozs

Orange Crm yogurt, OJ and milk – Orange Julius
      Lemon yogurt, 2 pineapple slices, pineapple juice, 2 strawberries – pineapple strawberry
      Vanilla yogurt, raspberries, milk, T Nestles Chocolate powder – delicious chocolate

dawnt

I make up a few dozen waffles on sunday and freeze them into packs of two in a freezer bag. In the morning, just grb yourself a couple waffles, pop them into the toaster oven or microwave oven qnd enjoy. Less then five minutes for hot homemade waffles on a busy school morning.

Can also use pancakes instead. Also, try adding chocolate chips or peanut butter chips for a variety of choices. Enjoy!

HBMagica

@Budget101 405744 wrote:

The Challenge Question is : What is your favorite Make-Ahead Breakfast idea/recipe

I’m out the door in the morning early… So I buy large containers of plain yogurt ( my favorite is Greek.). I measure out yogurt into small containers (6oz ea.) then I make my own granola mr basic recipe is one I got from a website and switch up the fruit when I want a change.

I measure that out as well into zip baggies I.

The morning I make my coffee in a Togo cup and grab my yogurt and granola and off I go!
      Basic recipe is:
      Homemade granola
      Ingredients
      4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
      2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
      2 cups sliced almonds
      3/4 cup vegetable oil
      1/2 cup good honey
      1 1/2 cups small diced dried apricots
      1 cup small diced dried figs
      1 cup dried cherries
      1 cup dried cranberries
      1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
      Directions
      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Toss the oats, coconut, and almonds together in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated.

Pour onto a 13 by 18 by 1-inch sheet pan. Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even, golden brown, about 45 minutes. Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.

Add the apricots, figs, cherries, cranberries, and cashews. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.

Cackywacky

Hi everybody! New to this site but loving it!
      I do not enjoy breakfast foods but I love a good sandwich. While trying to be more healthy we try to incorporate veggies like spinach, etc.

to eggs maybe add some cheese(favorite is Swiss). I use a little oil in a frying pan and pre cook the veggies (must have chopped onions, yum) once cooked, I add 4eggs that I whipped with a little milk. Cooked as if an omelette without folding in half.

Off heat and cooled, I then use a round cutter to cut the egg to fit the sandwich thins bread that I prefer. This will make 4 sandwiches. Wrapped and frozen.

To prepare, place frozen into a microwave on high for 1 minute. Wait another minute and viola, breakfast at hand! Enjoy!

BLRose

I make omelets in muffin tins. I put oil in muffin pans, add veggies, meat and cheese and then top with beaten eggs. I fill each cup 3/4 full.

Bake at 350 until lightly browned and cooked through. I prepare the night before and pop in the oven before my shower and food is ready when finished. My kids don’t like omelets or scrambled eggs and they love eggs cooked this way.

Add fruit and a slice of toast and you have a healthy breakfast.

kaylagilbert10

When my kids want pancakes or waffles in the morning, I always make way more than they will eat. I then freeze them and we all have a quick go to breakfast item on busy mornings. I also make anywhere from 15-25 breakfast burritos at one time, freeze them, and my husband has breakfast before work.

Bethe1

This is probably something a lot of people do but here is what I do. Make a big batch of homemade waffles and eat 2. Make up the rest and undercook them slightly.

Then freeze them in individual serving sizes. When I want a couple of them I just pop them in the toaster to thaw/reheat. And because they are slightly undercooked when first made they do not get over cooked in the toaster.

Eat and enjoy a nice warm,homemade, filling breakfast. I can even take these to work and toast them and eat them while working. Because I do not like syrup (gasp! I know, but I cannot help what does not taste good to me :-)) they do not get soggy.

I just butter them and eat them. The little bit of butter soaks in and is not messy. You could also do the same thing with pancakes.

But again, I do not like them either. I know, another gasp! lol It is basically the same batter for pancakes and waffles but they taste different because of the way they are cooked.

So I eat waffles but not pancakes. And definitely not syrup! 🙂 Waffles are usually made at my house on Sunday morning so we have a nice big breakfast before going to church.

SCMEAL0

My favorite make ahead breakfast is Apricot bran Muffins. They are high in fiber and Taste and can be frozen.

apricot bran muffins

ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 1/2 cups Kellogg’s® All-Bran® Original cereal
      1 1/2 cups skim milk
      1 egg
      2 tablespoons vegetable oil
      1/2 cup chopped, dried apricots

Directions
      1. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

2. In large mixing bowl combine kellogg’s all-bran cereal and milk. let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.

Add egg and oil. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined.

Stir in apricots. Portion evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups.

3. Bake at 400° F about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Yield: 12

Vampixen

Crock pot French Toast
      1 loaf bread- Cubed or sliced french bread or sliced bread of any kind
      7 eggs
      2 1/2 cups milk
      1 teaspoon cinnamon

Filling
      1/2 cup butter softened
      3/4 cup brown sugar – packed firmly
      1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
      1/2 cup raisins

• In a small bowl mix all topping ingredients with a fork. Set aside
      • Spray the inside of your 6 qt. crock with cooking spray.

I used a coconut oil spray.

• In a different bowl than your topping mix, whisk your eggs, milk and cinnamon together and set aside.
      • Place your first couple of layers of sliced bread or your first layer of cubed bread into your crock.
      • Spread half of your filler/topping mixture on top of the bread layer
      • Place the rest of your bread on top of the filler/topping.
      • Pour your egg mixture into your crock over the bread
      • Sprinkle the rest of your topping/filler on top of the bread
      • Cook for 2.5 hours on high, or 4 hours on low.
      • Enjoy!
      Jasmine23

Simple oatmeal boil in milk for 3 mins and my breakfast is ready.

SaraCate

We live by make-ahead breakfasts! With two little ones to get ready in the mornings and DH who is out the door earlier than the rest of us, it’s the only way to go. 🙂

We do a variety of things; my favorite depends on whether want a savory breakfast or not that day. In addition to various whole-grain muffins, breakfast bars, pancakes, French toast, and the like (yes, all made ahead), we put breakfast sandwiches and breakfast burritos in the freezer for quick savory hot breakfasts.

The most unusual make-ahead breakfast we offer is leftovers. I won’t make supper food specially for breakfast, but any leftovers are fair game unless planned for another meal, so our boys will just as likely each spaghetti, soup, or pierogis for breakfast as more ‘traditional’ breakfast foods!

MDParker

Our family loves omelets. To make them quick and easy I mix everything together in a casserole pan and stick it in the fridge. The next morning all we have to do is pop it in the oven, and by the time we’re dressed breakfast is ready.

Katze11

Crock pot steel cut oats.

Blueeheeler

Cinnamon Rolls that My Grandmother used to make me as a child…sugar rush 🙂

Momofspclkid

The new breakfast sandwich maker that is available made by Hamilton Beach is wonderful. You can make your breakfast sandwich the night before and just warm it in the microwave and out the door. There are so many options for what you can put on it.

Egg or just egg white, sausage or bacon or the lower fat turkey bacon or sausage (pre-cooked), cheese, ect. It only takes five minutes to cook and you can wrap it up and just microwave to warm before you go out the door!

Wathenmom

I have two make ahead breakfasts that my family loves. One is a pumpkin bar recipe that I cut the sugar in half from the original and added an extra egg. I served it with a healthy dollup of vanilla greek yogurt.

It can be baked the night before. On Sunday, I like to come home to a hot breakfast ready to eat after worship. I make a breakfast casserole that takes about 10 min.

to prep and it bakes on the delay setting while we are away.
      Pumpkin Bars
      Preheat oven 350
      2c ww flour
      1T pumpkin pie spice
      1t baking soda
      1/4 c Brown sugar
      1/4 c white sugar
      1t salt
      1/2 c applesauce
      1/2 butter
      2 eggs
      1c pumpkin puree
      1t vanilla
      1 c chocolate chips
      Mix, spread in ungreased 9×13 pan, bake 35-40 min.

Breakfast Casserole
      1 16oz bag of tater tots
      1 small bag of spinach leaves, chopped
      1/2 lb shredded cheese (I like Colby)
      12 eggs
      1 c milk
      Any leftover cooked meat or 1 can diced spam

Whisk eggs and milk together, pour tips into large casserole (10×15), layer meat, spinach, then cheese. Poor egg mixture over the top. Salt and pepper to taste.

Bake at 350° for 40min. Let sit 10 min, check that eggs are set. Feeds 10 to 12

SaraiD83

Ham and Egg Muffins!! spray a muffin tin with cooking spray then put a piece of ham lunch meat in the muffin tin and break an egg into it…. bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Quick, easy, healthy!!

loreann

Fry an egg in a little olive oil. (Or, poach or scramble eggs). Season with salt and pepper; cool.

Place cooled eggs on a small saucer. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. The next morning, loosen the plastic wrap and heat in the microwave for a few seconds.

Eat as is, or make a sandwich.

For a breakfast burrito: Saute diced onion and bell pepper in a little olive oil. Add ground sausage, cooking and stirring until done; drain. Remove contents from pan.

Heat one or two tablespoons olive oil in pan; pour in eggs, stirring to scramble until done. Combine all ingredients. Cool, cover and refrigerate.

The next morning, place about 1/4 cup of mixture in the center of a flour tortilla. Place a damp paper towel over top, heat in microwave for about thirty seconds, or until heated. Remove paper towel and top with shredded cheese and salsa if desired.

Mixture is best if used within three days.

BLRose

I make muffin omelets. I grease muffin pans and line each section with bacon or ham, veggies and cheese. Whip eggs with a little milk and pour over meats, veggies and cheese.

Fill each cup 3/4 full. Bake in a 350 degree oven until lightly browned and cooked through. I prepare the night before and put in oven before my shower in the a.m.

When shower is finished, food is ready. A great way to start kids off before school.

JuneWeaver

My favorite make ahead breakfast is our egg enchiladas!

This takes some minimal prepare time (the night before) but saves hassle in the morning and you get a HOT breakfast.

I love a hot breakfast, but rarely find time on the early morning school rush to cook, without burning, a hot meal. This recipe will be ready to go in the fridge. I just turn on the oven (when I start my coffee) and pop the premade dish into the oven for 30 minutes.

I know that it takes at least 30 minutes to get 2 kids out of bed (with a 9 month old in tow) and ready for school.

Breakfast is ready without any morning preparation and hassle! The kids LOVE this recipe, as I can change the options and cater to the different eaters, since each enchilada is rolled separately.

Breakfast Enchiladas

Depending on how many you would like to make gauge 1 egg for every 2 tortillas. Below is my recipe, however you can alter to your family needs.

4 eggs (scrambled)
      leftover meat from dinner (ckn, ham, turkey)
      any veggies that are in the fridge (peppers, onions, cucumbers, mushrooms, etc)

Now roll ingredients into the burrito and lay in a line into baking dish.

Spread shredded cheese over all the burritos (can add gravy, salsa)

Cook at 350 for 30 minutes and DONE!

So easy and inexpensive! I use it as a way to help clear out leftovers and reduce early morning stress!

couponclicks1

I create candy processor cupcakes on the few days for all of us.

brpellet

I love breakfast casseroles. They are easy to make, you can make them ahead of time, and they work great for large gatherings. We make them for christmas morning, and everyone loves it.

Connie2

Something quick to grab for breakfast are peanut butter roll ups. The night before, you take a small tortilla (homemade or store bought, corn or whole wheat, whichever are your favorites) spread peanut butter on it, roll up tight and put into a Baggie in the frig til needed. Adding chopped fruits such as strawberries or bananas really add flavor!

Also, a variation, spread with flavored cream cheese and add fresh blueberries. But you have to watch you don’t drop a BB out on your outfit! Otherwise, very easy to eat in the car if needed.

Enjoy!

mos

My favorite, when family visits, is a southwestern type of crockpot breakfast.

GraciesMom

For Christmas, my aunt bought my uncle a breakfast sandwich maker. He hated it. Which worked out well for me!

My aunt gave it to me and at first I was skeptical – did I really need ANOTHER small kitchen appliance?! It turned out I did, and here’s why.

I make the best homemade breakfast sandwiches.

I make several on Sundays (generally my grocery shopping and cooking day).

Ingredients (per sandwich):
      1 egg
      3 slices bacon – we use turkey bacon
      2 slices of your favorite cheese
      2 slices bread OR 1 muffin OR 1 mini bagel

Cook the meat ahead of time. Layer ingredients into sandwich maker (bottom-top: bottom bread, meat, cheese, egg, top muffin).

The maker has a nifty separated non-stick layer for the egg.

The sandwich, including the egg, takes about 5 minutes to cook.

The great thing is the versatility – I regularly add spinach or other veggies, switch up the meat (sausage patties and Canadian bacon work well!), and substitute egg whites.

Each sandwich is individually wrapped then frozen. In the morning, I pop a sandwich into the microwave for about a minute and a half, and walk out the door!

You can buy premade frozen breakfast sandwiches for what works out to between $1-$2 per sandwich on sale!

these sandwiches (when using ingredients that are on sale that week) cost about $0.35 each. That’s what I call a yummy bargain 🙂

Samsmom05

We like breakfast for dinner. So when we have waffles, I make double or triple and freeze the rest. My children will then reheat in the toaster.

cactusrosenaz

This sounds really great!! Since my husband is “allergic” to veggies, I would probably add Canadian bacon, sauteed sausage, diced ham, or bacon to the mix. I like the fact that the crust is not flour-based.

:0

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas B101 Challenge: Share your Favorite Make-Ahead Breakfast Idea