Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dump Recipes Aztec Black Beans

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

here’s a side dish to go with tacos, quesadillas, fajitas, or served as the main dish over rice with toasted tortillas or a chunk of cornbread or hot biscuits or…
      Aztec Black Beans:025:
      1 lb dried black beans
      16-oz jar salsa
      Rinse beans, removing any foreign objects. Place in a large bowl and cover with water, allowing them to soak at room temperature overnight. Drain beans and place in a crockpot with the salsa.

Stir, and add enough water to just cover the beans. Cover and cook on low all day, 8-10 hours. This freezes well.

This is such a wonderful recipe – one of our favorites for several years now! We like them best served over brown rice, with sharp cheddar grated on top…lots and lots of sharp cheddar, lol. I always add extra cayenne before cooking; I also usually chop up an onion and cook it with the beans/salsa, and have been known to throw in chopped green pepper.

I usually do 2 lbs. of beans at a time, and hope that with all six of us bean-lovers there might be some left to freeze – but this makes such wonderful leftovers, just getting better and better as the flavors blend and mingle, that it seldom makes it to the freezer.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dump Recipes Aztec Black Beans