Award Winning Oriental Salad

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Potluck Award Winning Oriental Salad

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      bflegg

this is one of my favorite potluck dishes to bring with me to gatherings (especially bbq’s!) because it’s really quick to make, inexpensive and goes over really well with a crowd.

you’ll need:
      1 16 – ounce package shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
      4 green onions, thinly sliced
      1 3 – ounce package oriental-flavored ramen noodles, broken up
      1/2-3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
      1/2-3/4 cup sunflower nuts
      1/2 cup salad oil
      1/3 cup vinegar
      1 tablespoon sugar
      1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
      the seasoning packet from the oriental noodles
      Sliced Scallions (optional)

In a big bowl combine the coleslaw mix, sliced green onions and broken ramen, mixing well. Add the slivered almonds and sunflower nuts, sprinkling them over the top.

In a cruet (or bowl) combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, black pepper and seasoning packet from the ramen. Stir or shake well to fully combine the ingredients. Just prior to serving the salad, shake the dressing to mix it well and pour it over the top of the salad, toss very well to coat.

Usually what I do is just put it in a bowl that has a cover, makes sure the cover is tight and then shake the bowl like crazy to coat the entire salad.

Just before serving add a few snips of fresh scallions. This recipe can be doubled if needed too!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      BaconEater

Ok, I can honestly say that I’ve tried this recipe several times but rather than using plain coleslaw I usually use broccoli slaw and instead of the oriental flavor ramen I use the chicken flavor ramen. I don’t know what she means exactly by salad oil, but I usually use olive oil and this is my go-to recipe for last minute gatherings. You mix it all together and by the time you get to your destination, it’s ready and everyone LOVES it.

Rave reviews. You can also extend it just a little by adding thin slivers of green pepper and red onion as well. Just be sure that the folks youre serving actually like onions.

mos

Sorry, but not impressed with this meal…it was good, it was different, but I didn’t want to duplicate it. We had a potluck about 18 months ago and one of the gals brought this. It has taken me this long to track her down — we’ve been split up and work all over the campus — to ask her for her recipe.

It was the same, so it doesn’t get my vote. Again, it was good, different, but not for me and my crowd.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Potluck Award Winning Oriental Salad