Attn: Lucy, charging my 18 yr old.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Attn: Lucy, charging my 18 yr old.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

My son is 19 and since HS is done, he is paying for utilities .. $40 a week ..

He has been working part-time for years and has more money in the bank than I have. He has already stated he isn't going to worry about a job til the money gets low — arghhh.

Good kid, but doesn't realize that getting a job in our small town is not easy (no drivers lisc because ins would be 177 a month). I have been driving him to work at next town.

I did at first feel guilty BUT:
      #1 If he wasn't here I can close off the upstairs and not heat the whole upstairs, we ran kero last year and oil (about 24 gals of kero a week – now approaching $5 a gal).
      He constantly griped because I had it at 68. This year it will be LOWER.
      We are in Maine, so it gets cold

#2 Since school stopped, he is online about 16 hrs a day, my electric bill has gone from 70 ish 3 years ago to over 140 (yes part is cost of increase)

#3 My water and sewer is higher, he uses the bathroom and of course drinks, and will take a long long shower unless I tell him to get out.

#4 For a while he worked at local food bank and brought home food, this isn't an option any more. I don't eat breakfast or lunch, and am eating a light dinner compared to dh & ds. partly to save money and partly to loose weight.

unless he or his dad get a deer this year, we are having a lot more bean dinners

btw: current room rental in this area is $75 and that doesn't include the phone, cable, food, internet

Reality is they eventually will have to pay rent – if they haven't been doing it and instead using the money for odds and ends etc etc they will have a hard/difficult time transistioning to paying full rent somewhere else

Ria
      list owner of :

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Attn: Lucy, charging my 18 yr old.